which luxury line for a solo cruiser?

calliopecruiser

Generally speaking, from my reading it seems that the luxury lines are more generous to solo cruisers in terms of reasonable single supplements than the mass market lines......that makes it not much more to travel solo on a luxury line than it is for a similar voyage on a lesser line. Do you think there's one luxury or upper-level cruise line that offers a better solo experience than the others? For instance, "gentlemen hosts" on Crystal sound like a real boon to solo ladies wanting to dance. Do any of you have solo experiences or recommendations among the luxury lines to share here?

I have my 9th solo Crystal cruise in a few weeks with 10 and 11 booked. Love, love, love everything Crystal. The solo supplement on Crystal is as low as 25%. As you mentioned, there are the Ambassador Hosts for dancing. The tables in the dining room are always good (and in a rare occasion when it doesn't "click", the maitre d will jump through hoops to make it right for you). Most cruises have special solo tables in the specialty restaurants so that you can meet other solos. The activities on sea days are amazing - wonderful lecturers; language, art, computer, bridge, exercise, etc. classes; trivia games (a wonderful way to make friends) - too much to mention.

Generally speaking, from my reading it seems that the luxury lines are more generous to solo cruisers in terms of reasonable single supplements than the mass market lines......that makes it not much more to travel solo on a luxury line than it is for a similar voyage on a lesser line. Do you think there's one luxury or upper-level cruise line that offers a better solo experience than the others? For instance, "gentlemen hosts" on Crystal sound like a real boon to solo ladies wanting to dance. Do any of you have solo experiences or recommendations among the luxury lines to share here?

While Crystal may have a low single supplement, Regent is at the far, far end of that spectrum with Seabourn being closer to Regent. I'm not sure about SilverSea. The single supplement can also vary based on how well the cruise is sailing, but overall were I looking based on the single supplement Crystal would get the nod. With regards to Gentleman Hosts, I don't recall seeing of or hearing about any on Regent recently.

I have 18 solo cruises on Crystal, 6 with Seabourn and two each with Regent and Silversea. Crystal has the best single supplement by far, and they have dance hosts. Seabourn does a wonderful thing with solo women by inviting them to join a hosted table every night for dinner---you dine with the cruise director, entertainment staff, or ship's officer every night which is nice because open seating for a solo can be uncomfortable. Regent was probably my most unfriendly solo experience with Silversea being a close second. Regent's maitre'd, on both cruises, was rude to us solo passengers and acted like we were a pain in the behind. Also on Regent, on both cruises, I was told by the staff that as a solo, I was not allowed to sit at a table for four in the buffet area and had my plate taken from me by a waiter and moved from a table for four to a table for two, despite the fact that I was there at 9am, on a port day and the buffet was virtually empty. This happened five times total on both cruises. This is not how a solo person, much less any other passenger, expects to be treated.

I would look into either Seabourn or Crystal as a solo woman cruiser.

Those are really rude experiences, Kitty9, made all the worse by the fact that they were repeated and not just the result of one rude person having a bad day (for example). It's nice to hear about Seabourn's dining routine, since Open Seating dining is one of the difficult situations on cruise ships when traveling alone (in my limited experience), and I've in the past learned to avoid the more formal MDR when I was solo.

Kitty9, sorry your solo Regent experience was bad! Mine have been just the opposite. My most recent Regent cruise was a 3-week northern Atlantic crossing, and everyone, including the dining staff, were flexible, whether I wanted to sit with a group or by myself. (My job requires meeting strangers on a constant basis. I love it and enjoy new cruising friends on every voyage, but my introverted nature needs peace and quiet on vacation, too!) Several nights I was seated with officers or some of the performers, who were most engaging. On some lines, as a single you get seated at the "island of misfit toys" table, but that was not my experience with Regent. Crystal has also been good. I have no complaints about Silversea, but nothing particularly memorable either.

• 2 weeks later...
I have 18 solo cruises on Crystal, 6 with Seabourn and two each with Regent and Silversea. Crystal has the best single supplement by far, and they have dance hosts. Seabourn does a wonderful thing with solo women by inviting them to join a hosted table every night for dinner---you dine with the cruise director, entertainment staff, or ship's officer every night which is nice because open seating for a solo can be uncomfortable. Regent was probably my most unfriendly solo experience with Silversea being a close second. Regent's maitre'd, on both cruises, was rude to us solo passengers and acted like we were a pain in the behind. Also on Regent, on both cruises, I was told by the staff that as a solo, I was not allowed to sit at a table for four in the buffet area and had my plate taken from me by a waiter and moved from a table for four to a table for two, despite the fact that I was there at 9am, on a port day and the buffet was virtually empty. This happened five times total on both cruises. This is not how a solo person, much less any other passenger, expects to be treated.

I must ask when your last Regent cruise was. I do not recommend solos on Regent because of the high single supplement but have never heard the experience you have described. There are special events for solo travelers all the time. We have seen Gentlemen Hosts dancing the night away with passengers -- having a great time. However, because Regent sails mostly full ships, they rarely offer discounted rates for singles. In order to sail solo on Regent nowadays, you will probably pay a 100% single supplement.

Silversea actually has the lowest single supplement rate -- as low as 5% (check out this link http://www.silversea.com/specialoffers/ ).

If I were sailing solo, I would sail on Silversea. However, Seabourn and/or crystal are probably fine. Any of the luxury lines are wonderful -- however, it is inevitable that some people have difficulties -- it can happen on any cruise line. I would look at the itineraries and prices and go from there.

I just came back from the first Crystal all inclusive as a solo and would give it high marks. I paid 35% more as a solo, because I was in a higher category due to the fact that the lower 25% cabins were sold out. I had 2 solo crossings with Seabourn and they also were great. On one, I paid 25% more. On the second, it was closer to 75%. On Seabourn the solo rate varies, based on the cruise. Incidentally, it's not just solo women who are invited to hosted tables on Seabourn. Couples and solo men are also invited.

• 2 weeks later...
Silversea actually has the lowest single supplement rate -- as low as 5% (check out this link http://www.silversea.com/specialoffers/ ).

I followed the link and did just as you suggested and on three voyages of possible interest, I clicked through just as instructed and each time, clicked on Fares, and I got to the dead end "Single occupancy rates available upon request."

I expected to see the single occupancy rates (% or $) right away after clicking "fares" as suggested on the site. What a bother.

It's true that Regents single supplement is usually 100% :eek: but the overall experience makes it worthwhile IMO. There were several gentleman hosts who were much in demand as dance partners. They also sat at a 'solos' breakfast table (called something else, I forget) in La Veranda along with entertainers, CD sometimes and other 'front of house' crew members.

Overall the luxury lines offer more oe less the same 'product' so as usual it boils down to itinerary for me.

In my limited experience--Crystal and Silversea--I would give the edge to Crystal. I like the fixed dining so there are opportunities to meet tablemates and share experiences at the end of each day. There are also a lot of activities to keep one entertained and occupied--more than other luxury ships because the Crystal ships are larger and have more options. Crystal also seemed to have more solos on board (probably thanks to good solo rates). Although I want to try Sea Dream and Seabourn at some point, for a cruise next year, I've booked Crystal again.

• 2 months later...
I must ask when your last Regent cruise was. I do not recommend solos on Regent because of the high single supplement but have never heard the experience you have described. There are special events for solo travelers all the time. We have seen Gentlemen Hosts dancing the night away with passengers -- having a great time. However, because Regent sails mostly full ships, they rarely offer discounted rates for singles. In order to sail solo on Regent nowadays, you will probably pay a 100% single supplement.

If I were sailing solo, I would sail on Silversea. However, Seabourn and/or crystal are probably fine. Any of the luxury lines are wonderful -- however, it is inevitable that some people have difficulties -- it can happen on any cruise line. I would look at the itineraries and prices and go from there.

Thanks for the information. I requested a quote on their 9/2013 Tokyo, Japan to Shanghai, China.:)

In my limited experience--Crystal and Silversea--I would give the edge to Crystal. I like the fixed dining so there are opportunities to meet tablemates and share experiences at the end of each day. There are also a lot of activities to keep one entertained and occupied--more than other luxury ships because the Crystal ships are larger and have more options. Crystal also seemed to have more solos on board (probably thanks to good solo rates). Although I want to try Sea Dream and Seabourn at some point, for a cruise next year, I've booked Crystal again.

Crystal is currently offering only a 10% up-charge for solo passengers.

Thanks for the information. I requested a quote on their 9/2013 Tokyo, Japan to Shanghai, China.:)

Sounds good. Hope you book it. We're actually on the cruise prior to the one you are looking at (Vancouver to Japan). Wish it were not so far off:o

• 3 weeks later...

I have sailed with Seabourn four times, and with Silversea once. Although I thought Silversea's ship was nice (the Shadow), I have a real affection for Seabourn's smaller ships, the Pride, Spirit and Legend. I also liked Seabourn's food better. Only 208 passengers on the smaller ships. I love their bow jacuzzi on deck 5....so close to the ocean! And, as someone else mentioned, you will receive printed invitations, left on your door each day, to a "hosted" table every single night when you are traveling solo.

Haven't been on Seabourn in a few years because they are so expensive, but I did find a 150% single supplement on an 11 day cruise to the Caribbean in December and snapped it up. Hard to come by a good solo rate though, these days, and on their larger ships, I think they are 175% or 200%, too rich for my blood.

Jane

Edited by SantaAna,CA

• 1 month later...

WOW! I hope you noted this on the Regent comments card! As a single woman, I have cruised on Crystal, Regent and others. The Regent (nor other lines) crews have never been rude or treated me differently for being alone. However, passengers tend to be more friendly on some cruises, and outright unfriendly on others. Taking a segment during a world cruise is the least friendly. For cabins, no formal nights, past passenger perks, and the smoking policy, I prefer Regent.

You may not be checking this thread anymore, but since posting in July, we added on the Tokyo to Shanghai segment onto our cruise. Hope you will be on board!

• 2 years later...
I followed the link and did just as you suggested and on three voyages of possible interest, I clicked through just as instructed and each time, clicked on Fares, and I got to the dead end "Single occupancy rates available upon request."

I expected to see the single occupancy rates (% or $) right away after clicking "fares" as suggested on the site. What a bother.

And you couldn't be bothered to make a simple phone call? The single supplements vary by cruise and by how fully booked each cruise is. Plus, other factors can apply. Pick up the phone! :)

• 11 months later...

While my voyage with Regent in March/April 2015 was my only experience with solo luxury cruising - it is obvious that things have changed since some earlier reviews.

I agree that their single supplement of 75% is a real ripoff, But the onboard treatment was great. Solo passengers every evening were invited to drinks and dinner with the Social Hostess. She usually also invited members of the show cast to join the group. On 'at sea' days she hosted a group breakfast.

Another feature, which while not specifically for solo passengers - which I thought all cruise lines should adopt - was a block party. One afternoon of a early sea day, everyone was invited to step outside their suite and meet the neighbors. Crew members came by to talk (Show cast) and serve wine (Stewards).

I picked the cruise for the itinerary, but if you can stand the financial pain, my experience is that it's a good cruise line.