Snorkeling tour

reaperman

Is it really necessary to pre-book a snorkel tour? We are veteran vacationers, but our first time in Roatan. Is my assumption correct that we will have no trouble finding a tour as soon as we leave the cruise dock? Or will tours offered by these "street" operators by sub-par from some of the more "known" companies that offer snorkel tours? Or is it just possible to catch a bus/van/cab, to a given beach where some local has a boat that is willing to take us out to a reef? Thanks.

Is it really necessary to pre-book a snorkel tour? We are veteran vacationers, but our first time in Roatan. Is my assumption correct that we will have no trouble finding a tour as soon as we leave the cruise dock? Or will tours offered by these "street" operators by sub-par from some of the more "known" companies that offer snorkel tours? Or is it just possible to catch a bus/van/cab, to a given beach where some local has a boat that is willing to take us out to a reef? Thanks.

Taxi on the island are not regulated.. it is all about the haggle and those guys KNOW you have to be back on a ship.

There is a bus system, if docking in Coxen Hole it maybe worth the time it takes, one need walk into town and ask direction to where the bus waits. There are stops along the way, and it will drop you in West End, if you wish to go to West Bay take the water taxi from West End. If docking at Mahogany Bay it is unrealistic.

One doesn't need a "snorkle" tour to snorkle some of the best bits of reef about the island. One only need to get to West Bay Beach and walk down the beach just past Infinty's L shaped pier. Both Beacher's and Bananarama offer day pass with transport included for a fair price. I understand Paradise Beach Club is offering the same but I have not been able to confirm. All of these places have websites.

If you decide on West Bay and the easy access to boat free reef snorkling doesn't entertain, there are plenty of locals with panga boat would will take you out to other parts of the reef, doubtful you will be the only boat at those places.

This thread has heaps of info on snorkling West Bay. Maps and pics included. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343