Port of Miami to FLL options

taffy12

I'll be cruising out of Miami next month, but staying in Fort Lauderdale post cruise. I need to find a way to get to the airport in Fort Lauderdale to pick up a rental car, but every shuttle service I come across charges more than I can really afford to pay. Does anyone know of any good companies or cost effective ways to make the trek?

Alternatively, I'm toying with the idea of doing Norwegian's Everglades shore excursion that picks you up at the port and drops you at the airport after the tour...but it too is rather pricey. Are there any good companies outside of the cruise line that will offer the same service and be able to store our luggage?

I'm confused by their website, where it says all trips must originate in Fort Lauderdale. I only need a ride one way, from Miami to the Fort Lauderdale. Can I still use them?

Sorry not sure - Someone else will likely know and post or give them a call. If not another one recommended on the forums is

http://gomjstrans.com/MJS_Trans/Home.html

If your cruise finishes in Miami you can catch the free shuttle provided by National, Alamo & Thrifty to their MIA airport location -- rent the car there and drop it off at FLL.

Avis and Hertz and a few others have downtown Miami locations close to the port - $12+ taxi if they do not shuttle.

Lots of cruisers use one-way rentals in FLA.

• 10 months later...
SAS is great . $15 per person from POM to FLL. Takes about an hour. The best way to go

Can you provide a bit more details on how/where you meet them at POM? Does SAS arrange a time for you, or do you tell them a time you think you will be off the ship? I'm traveling solo and I know it is a shared shuttle, so, do you wait till a van if full? I know I will be one of the first off the ship and my flight out of FLL is at 11:45 AM, is that cutting it too close?

Driver will be in contact with you via cell phone to track your progress gathering bags, customs, etc.

For an 11:45 flight you need to be at FLL by about 10:15 (earlier is better - TSA lines can be chaos on a busy cruise day). To be safe count on the drive from POM to FLL taking an hour. as long as you are off the ship, with bags, loaded into a van, and on your way by about 9:00 or earlier you will be fine.

If you can team up with 1-2 others from your roll call you can just share an UberX from POM to FLL - about $40 for the car and no waiting for the van/other passengers, etc.

Can you provide a bit more details on how/where you meet them at POM? Does SAS arrange a time for you, or do you tell them a time you think you will be off the ship? I'm traveling solo and I know it is a shared shuttle, so, do you wait till a van if full? I know I will be one of the first off the ship and my flight out of FLL is at 11:45 AM, is that cutting it too close?

What airline are you flying? If my flight was that early, I would not do a shared shuttle -- I would arrange for a private car service or take a taxi/Uber.

FLL airport lines are notoriously bad, plus there is always a chance that if you are on a shared shuttle they will drop people off at an airport hotel before going to the airport (we had this happen to us).

You will also need to get in line to do self-assist debarkation pretty early.

Can it be done? Definitely. You just need to plan ahead. It also helps if you have TSA PreCheck in case the security lines get long.

We sail NCL in the Haven, where we don't have to wait in line to get off the ship, so we were one of the first people to walk off. We were off the ship by 7:40 this past Sunday and through security (curb checked our bags and all TSA PreCheck) by 8:30. Our flight was at 11:30. We booked a private car service that was there a few minutes after we got off the ship (Larry's Limos). By the way, lines were considerably shorter than normal that day (we think maybe one of the large ships at the FLL port were delayed in clearing customs) and we fly Southwest.

The SAS vans fill up fast, they also pick up from other ships. They tell you to call them once you have gone through customs with your luggage. It really is easy and fast, I have used them many times. Some from FLL others from POM.

As someone else said if you are going to rent a car at FLL, you could also rent a car from POM. The car rental shuttles continually pick up passengers at the pier. Just make sure that you have a reservation made ahead of time.

We used SAS in December from POM to FLL. They picked up us along with a few other passengers. They stopped to pick up a couple of passengers from Disney. We were in no hurry as we had about 5 hours to kill before our flight. We would have been able to easily be on the 11:30 flight, however all flight were booked solid. We are going again in June and will depart the POM and fly from FLL. We booked the 11:45 flight out of FLL, and we've booked SAS again. There are five of us that will be on the same flight so we will be taking up about half the van.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree--Just did Uber X for approx. $35.

What time did you leave FLL on Embark day? What time did you leave POM on debark day? I'm worried about an Uber due to their Peak time upcharges... Has anyone experienced that?

What time did you leave FLL on Embark day? What time did you leave POM on debark day? I'm worried about an Uber due to their Peak time upcharges... Has anyone experienced that?

I have been using Uber in Miami for years now. Never once have seen an upcharge unless its: New Years Even, Ultra Music Weekend, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day or some other random massive event. If its a normal weekend/weekday there won't be anything. Especially that time in the morning from POM.