Crazy air prices on Jet Blue

cruiserssandr

We will be flying home from New Orleans in November after the repositioning cruise out of Boston. I few days ago the price (with one bag) was $180 p/p. Today that same flight is $470! I have no idea why such a huge increase. We still have lots of time to decide. Love the direct flights from New Orleans to Boston. Guess I'll keep checking and take and wait and see attitude for now.

We will be flying home from New Orleans in November after the repositioning cruise out of Boston. I few days ago the price (with one bag) was $180 p/p. Today that same flight is $470! I have no idea why such a huge increase. We still have lots of time to decide. Love the direct flights from New Orleans to Boston. Guess I'll keep checking and take and wait and see attitude for now.

That is not crazy pricing - it is supply and demand revenue management at work.

Come up with a price you are willing to pay and, it shows up, buy it an NEVER LOOK AT PRICING AGAIN. You'll drive yourself crazy. If you get 3 months out and "your price" doesn't show up, bite the bullet and buy at the prevailing price. Or, instead of that nonstop (I think you meant nonstop not 'direct'), look at connections that meet your pricing criteria.

That is not crazy pricing - it is supply and demand revenue management at work.

Come up with a price you are willing to pay and, it shows up, buy it an NEVER LOOK AT PRICING AGAIN. You'll drive yourself crazy. If you get 3 months out and "your price" doesn't show up, bite the bullet and buy at the prevailing price. Or, instead of that nonstop (I think you meant nonstop not 'direct'), look at connections that meet your pricing criteria.

Guess it's not crazy but I was shocked to see it go up so much in a couple of days. I do understand supply and demand.

Guess it's not crazy but I was shocked to see it go up so much in a couple of days. I do understand supply and demand.

Prices can change any hour during the day, I've had "great prices" disappear between clicking on them and entering credit card information when that fare bucket sold out.

Look and see what other airlines are charging on the same day, even with connections. That is a massive jump. Best guess is that they sold out of their lowest economy fares (I think it's like "P" or something) and it jumped up to a much higher fare category. If other airlines are still selling flights closer to $180, even with connections, JetBlue will likely eventually put some lower fare basis fares into the system once revenue management figures it out. They can charge a premium for nonstop in some markets, but unless the plane is nearly sold out (like a 100 person club or something) a strict leisure route like that is not going to support nearly 2x pricing seven months in advance.

If you want to post your dates, I can look up what fare bases are for sale and how many seats there are on expertflyer, if you don't have access.

Look and see what other airlines are charging on the same day, even with connections. That is a massive jump. Best guess is that they sold out of their lowest economy fares (I think it's like "P" or something) and it jumped up to a much higher fare category. If other airlines are still selling flights closer to $180, even with connections, JetBlue will likely eventually put some lower fare basis fares into the system once revenue management figures it out. They can charge a premium for nonstop in some markets, but unless the plane is nearly sold out (like a 100 person club or something) a strict leisure route like that is not going to support nearly 2x pricing seven months in advance.

If you want to post your dates, I can look up what fare bases are for sale and how many seats there are on expertflyer, if you don't have access.

We are flying one way from New Orleans to Boston, Coming home from the repositioning cruise. On November 12, 2016

Yeah, there are $189 fares filed for that flight by JetBlue, but expertflyer is showing everything zeroed out except the most expensive fare codes. I think there's something funky going on, and I'd give it a couple of days and check again. You still have plenty of time to book.

Yeah, there are $189 fares filed for that flight by JetBlue, but expertflyer is showing everything zeroed out except the most expensive fare codes. I think there's something funky going on, and I'd give it a couple of days and check again. You still have plenty of time to book.

Thanks. $470 for one way from New Orleans just seem a bit high. We have more that 6 months. No worries

You may want to check the NOLA visitors calendar to see what events are occuring that day/weekend. NOLA is a huge convention destination and event hub. That has a definite relationship to airfares.

Also, a three day weekend (Vet's Day) though Saturday is the middle day.

We will be flying home from New Orleans in November after the repositioning cruise out of Boston. I few days ago the price (with one bag) was $180 p/p. Today that same flight is $470! I have no idea why such a huge increase.

If you understand supply and demand, then you know prices can fluctuate drastically. So I have to ask out of curiosity: Is there some reason you didn't go ahead and buy the tickets when you saw them for $180pp?

If you understand supply and demand, then you know prices can fluctuate drastically. So I have to ask out of curiosity: Is there some reason you didn't go ahead and buy the tickets when you saw them for $180pp?

Needed to check with our traveling companions whether or not they wanted to come home on Friday or Saturday. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it will all work out.

Needed to check with our traveling companions whether or not they wanted to come home on Friday or Saturday. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it will all work out.

Within the USA (at least), you can purchase the tickets and get a FULL REFUND within 24 hours (but that's exact; don't miss by a few minutes).

So IF we see a "good price" but we aren't quite sure, we grab it.

Then, if necessary, we call back and get the refund.

As to concerns that it might affect total usage of a charge card, just call them up and explain it will be refunded. (In some cases, this is handled by filing a "dispute", even though everyone understands there's not any actual disagreement. It's the way they cancel out the charge while awaiting that refund, etc.)

I guess now I am going with what's done is done and no use worrying about that now. I will continue to watch and hope for the best. I there are other airlines to chose from. We live about 50 miles from Logan airport so lots of lines to chose from

So presumably you have now checked with them and know if they're willing to fly home Fri, Sat or either? Have they given you a maximum amount they will pay? Have you considered the "every man for himself" approach to booking tickets? Or maybe you're already doing that and just wanted to fly the same day. People always seem to be posting difficulty booking airline tickets when they are trying to coordinate for the entire group.

Either way, the lesson here for others is to have your ducks in a row before you start checking ticket prices. That way if you stumble across a deal you can book it right then and there before it disappears.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you considered the "every man for himself" approach to booking tickets? Or maybe you're already doing that and just wanted to fly the same day. People always seem to be posting difficulty booking airline tickets when they are trying to coordinate for the entire group.

If your group is made of several parties paying separately, always agree in advance how the total fare will be split. Let's say you and your friends total 5 people, and there are two fares remaining at $180, two at $470, and six at $525. If you book all 5 people at the same time, the airline websites charge the highest fare that accommodates your entire party...in this case you would pay 6 x $525 = $3150. Four people in your party will pay more than they needed to.

Now, assume you're savvy to this and book two at a time. Then you will pay 2x$180, 2x$470, and 1x$525 = $1825. Do you individually charge the fare actually paid? Who in your party "bought" the cheaper fares, and what will happen when the people who paid more find out? Or, do you average for everyone and charge $365 per person? Two people are subsidizing the other 3. Of course it's up to you, but letting everyone take care of purchasing their own tickets is often the best bet.

Of course it's up to you, but letting everyone take care of purchasing their own tickets is often the best bet.

That's my vote. I did a girls' trip in February and said right from the get go that I would be getting my own ticket and not waiting for anyone else or trying to "book together." I had no intention of missing a decent fare because "Susie" wanted to hold out for a lower fare that might never materialize , or because "Mary" didn't quite have the money together yet to pay for hers, or "Jane" had to work a 1/2 day and couldn't leave until later in the day when flights were pricier and so on and so forth....

• 1 month later...
If your group is made of several parties paying separately, always agree in advance how the total fare will be split. Let's say you and your friends total 5 people, and there are two fares remaining at $180, two at $470, and six at $525. If you book all 5 people at the same time, the airline websites charge the highest fare that accommodates your entire party...in this case you would pay 6 x $525 = $3150. Four people in your party will pay more than they needed to.

Now, assume you're savvy to this and book two at a time. Then you will pay 2x$180, 2x$470, and 1x$525 = $1825. Do you individually charge the fare actually paid? Who in your party "bought" the cheaper fares, and what will happen when the people who paid more find out? Or, do you average for everyone and charge $365 per person? Two people are subsidizing the other 3. Of course it's up to you, but letting everyone take care of purchasing their own tickets is often the best bet.

Actually we had not decided if we were going home on Friday or Saturday. A couple of days later we decided on Saturday and the prices had gone through the roof. As much as we love Jet Blue and I have $220 credit for them maybe we will go Delta. Southwest will have their schedule out that far in early June is who know?