Oasis 3, Biggest Ship in the World

If I understand it correctly, gross tonnage of cruise ship has to do with internal volume rather than actual weight.

you are correct. Ton/tonne used to refer to tun...caskets of wine. How many you could pile in a ships hold determined her tunnage/tonnage. Or something like that, I may have abbreviated my knowledge. :)

In terms of displacement (the actual mass of the ship) the Oasis class and the Nimitz/Ford class carriers are approximately the same -- 100,000 tons.

The largest ship in the world was the Seawise Giant super tanker at 657,019 tons (fully loaded). This ship went to the breakers in 2009.

The second largest ship ever built was the Pierre Guillaumat super tanker at 550,000 tons and this ship was built at Chantiers de l’Atlantique at Saint-Nazaire which is where Oasis 3 is being built. She went to the breakers in 1983.

The current largest ship is the TI Oceania super tanker at around 440,000 tons and was built at Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering, Okpo-dong, South Korea

The thread title brought up a question I've had - how do Oasis class match up to the big aircraft carriers, or giant tankers???

The largest ships afloat are the MERSK cargo ships:

Type:Container shipTonnage:170,974 GT

55,396 NT

156,907 DWTLength:397 m (1,302 ft)Beam:56 m (184 ft)Draught:15.5 m (51 ft)Depth:30 m (98 ft) (deck edge to keel)

The USS Nimitz is the largest of the US Aircraft carriers. It specs out at:

Displacement:

100,000 to 104,600 long tons (100,000–106,300 t)

Length:

Overall: 1,092 feet (332.8 m)

Waterline: 1,040 feet (317.0 m)

Beam:

Overall: 252 ft (76.8 m)

Waterline: 134 ft (40.8 m)

Draft:

Maximum navigational: 37 ft (11.3 m)

Limit: 41 ft (12.5 m)

All the Nimitz Class CVN-68 through CVN-77 aircraft carriers have the same general dimensions. There are minor differences due to different advancements in design through the years these ships were constructed.

On a slightly different note, the longest aircraft carrier by length was the recently decommissioned U.S.S. Enterprise. The Enterprise measured 1,123 feet in oa length. The Enterprise came in at around 85,000 tons when first built but her weight gradually increased to around 90,000 tons at the time she was decommissioned.

The largest ships afloat are the MERSK cargo ships:

Type:Container shipTonnage:170,974 GT

55,396 NT

156,907 DWTLength:397 m (1,302 ft)Beam:56 m (184 ft)Draught:15.5 m (51 ft)Depth:30 m (98 ft) (deck edge to keel)

[/left]

The Maersk E-Class are the largest container ships, not the largest ships.

The Oasis Class are the second largest ships by gross tonnage, behind the TI Class supertankers.

The problem is with ordering ships by size is what value to use. The displacement is usually the one used, since this value is used in stability calculations and other things like that. When cruise lines advertise their ships, they use gross tonnage, likely because for a cruise ship it will be the largest number, so it sounds more impressive.

The Maersk E-Class are the largest container ships, not the largest ships.

The Oasis Class are the second largest ships by gross tonnage, behind the TI Class supertankers.

The problem is with ordering ships by size is what value to use. The displacement is usually the one used, since this value is used in stability calculations and other things like that. When cruise lines advertise their ships, they use gross tonnage, likely because for a cruise ship it will be the largest number, so it sounds more impressive.

Dunno where "container" disappeared to when I pasted that info:o, but you're right. I picked container ships, because they are also measured in GRT. There is an PLNG ship that should float out in 2016 which will be about twice the size of the TI class.

If I understand it correctly, gross tonnage of cruise ship has to do with internal volume rather than actual weight.

Yes, the standard way to compare cruise ship size is gross tonnes, which is the internal volume. (Some are longer, some are wider, some taller: gt settles the argument).

Oasis 3 will be the biggest cruise ship!

Yes, the standard way to compare cruise ship size is gross tonnes, which is the internal volume. (Some are longer, some are wider, some taller: gt settles the argument).

Oasis 3 will be the biggest cruise ship!

How is internal volume measured on the Oasis/Allure since the entire boardwalk is open air? Its there an imaginary shell used to determine the volume that includes the open air boardwalk and Central park?

How is internal volume measured on the Oasis/Allure since the entire boardwalk is open air? Its there an imaginary shell used to determine the volume that includes the open air boardwalk and Central park?

It would be interesting to know that, but I've never read anything about whether Central Park and Boardwalk are included in the GRT measurement. I suspect they are not because the space has to be enclosed, but I'd love to know for sure.

It would be interesting to know that, but I've never read anything about whether Central Park and Boardwalk are included in the GRT measurement. I suspect they are not because the space has to be enclosed, but I'd love to know for sure.

You are very right, they are not enclosed so do not count. Imagine the gt if these spaces had roofs!

Archived