Does Cunard have balloons?

Slow Foxtrot

I am not sure what you are asking...do you mean to decorate your cabin? They have a florist, and they will do some cabin "decoration" which you can order from the Cunard website. I don't recall seeing balloons on board, but I would guess the colors would be red and black, though.

We are so looking forward to trying Cunard for our next cruise. Does anyone know if Cunard have balloons and, if so, what colour are they?

Something not quite right about this...Slow Foxtrot has posted many times on this forum, going back to his first QM2 cruise in 2006! Given the amount of time he and his wife have spent dancing in the Ballroom, he would certainly know that balloons are often used as decorations there.

Edited by Salacia

We are so looking forward to trying Cunard for our next cruise. Does anyone know if Cunard have balloons and, if so, what colour are they?
I don't know the answer to your question, but it reminded me of the following balloon-related answers from ask.cunard.com:

What am I not allowed to take on board?

The following items are not allowed on board without a valid, lawful reason:

Helium filled balloons (guests may not bring on pre inflated balloons, but may bring on flat balloons to be inflated on board if available)

Can I fill balloons with helium on board?

We do not normally have any helium on board, though sometimes there may be a supply if we have special events. However, if you wish to bring helium balloons on that are pre-filled, that's fine. Also, normal air filled balloons are accepted.

Something not quite right about this...Slow Foxtrot has posted many times on this forum, going back to his first QM2 cruise in 2006! Given the amount of time he and his wife have spent dancing in the Ballroom, he would certainly know that balloons are often used as decorations there.

Wouldn't be the first time that B has used A's login to ask a question.

.Slow Foxtrot has posted many times on this forum, going back to his first QM2 cruise in 2006! Given the amount of time he and his wife have spent dancing in the Ballroom, he would certainly know that balloons are often used as decorations there.

Not 2006 my dear - 2004 actually, in QM2's inaugural year. Balloons are an integral part of Cunard's heritage, don't you agree? It's the first thing we check before booking. Red is always nice. No balloons - no cruise. The management is well aware of our colour choice and is most co-operative.

OK, I'll bite (contribute). Here are the balloons suspended above the Queens Room dance floor on the QM2 prior to the balloon drop last New Year's Eve.

QueensRoomBalloons.jpg

Thank you for posting. It's a relief to see that there are no green balloons in the net. My wife refuses to cruise on any ship with green balloons. It's an unlucky colour and I'm pleased to see that Cunard accepted our advice.

Don't worry Salacia - no spoofers here. Just a little levity to counteract the brain-numbing banality of some of the posts on this forum. None the less I am sure you'll agree that balloons are the very essence of cruising. After all, where would this world be without balloons?

Incidentally, does your nom de plume derive from the word 'salacious'? I think we should be told because we can't tolerate that sort of thing here.

Edited by Slow Foxtrot

:rolleyes::

I can just imagine what Capt.Mannering would say stupid question you stupid man.

Don't worry Salacia - no spoofers here. Just a little levity to counteract the brain-numbing banality of some of the posts on this forum. None the less I am sure you'll agree that balloons are the very essence of cruising. After all, where would this world be without balloons?

Incidentally, does your nom de plume derive from the word 'salacious'? I think we should be told because we can't tolerate that sort of thing here.

Slow Foxtrot, it's certainly a relief to learn you aren't being spoofed. Concern now is that you might be using your breath to inflate way too many balloons which can result in oxygen deprivation and the subsequent death of brain cells. ;):)

In answer to your question: In Roman mythology, Salacia is the goddess of salt water. The name is derived from Latin sal meaning salt.

No balloons were harmed in the posting of this message :D

Always loved that word. Did you cut and paste it or do you have a German keyboard?

David.

I love that word too - but I so rarely get to use it. Yes, I did a cut and paste. There is a way to use an umlaut on my keyboard, but I forgot how it's done. -S.

This ramble about balloons has brought on a bit of PTSD (post tramatic stress disorder) for me.

When I was a child I had a helium balloon attached to my wrist and as most children do when tied to something, I untied the knot and away went the big red balloon. Try as he might, dear old Dad lept into the air, climbed up a lamp post and dazzled us all with his acrobatic ability to no avail. My balloon let slip the bonds of its earthly existance. I stood, bereft of all emotion, mouth agap, and realized I was watching my poor balloon drift high into the stratosphere. Never saw it again. But I will remember the slap on the bottom I got from dear old Dad after he recovered from falling 6 feet from that lamp post he climbed up trying to get that balloon back.

Since then I have never felt comfortable near red balloons.

I have another balloon story but I will spare you the details but suffice it to say that black color balloons make me sad.

This ramble about balloons has brought on a bit of PTSD (post tramatic stress disorder) for me.

When I was a child I had a helium balloon attached to my wrist and as most children do when tied to something, I untied the knot and away went the big red balloon. Try as he might, dear old Dad lept into the air, climbed up a lamp post and dazzled us all with his acrobatic ability to no avail. My balloon let slip the bonds of its earthly existance. I stood, bereft of all emotion, mouth agap, and realized I was watching my poor balloon drift high into the stratosphere. Never saw it again. But I will remember the slap on the bottom I got from dear old Dad after he recovered from falling 6 feet from that lamp post he climbed up trying to get that balloon back.

Since then I have never felt comfortable near red balloons.

I have another balloon story but I will spare you the details but suffice it to say that black color balloons make me sad.

So I guess it's a safe bet that 99 Luftballons isn't one of your favorite songs? :eek::D

It's not surprising that the subject of balloons has generated great interest. What did surprise me was that in a recent survey published in a popular cruise magazine they found that 77% of passengers would not book a cruise on a ship that had no balloons! In fact the proliferation of balloons was ranked more important than the standard of the food.

Another fact that is not well known is that on pre-war cruise ships the uninflated balloons could also be used as a prophylactic. Apparently the favourite colour in those days was red although, for some reason, the Irish preferred green. It's a fascinating subject.

partial quote

It's not surprising that the subject of balloons has generated great interest. What did surprise me was that in a recent survey published in a popular cruise magazine they found that 77% of passengers would not book a cruise on a ship that had no balloons! In fact the proliferation of balloons was ranked more important than the standard of the food.

Hmmm, interesting. That would explain why balloon stocks are rising. -S.

Another fact that is not well known is that on pre-war cruise ships the uninflated balloons could also be used as a prophylactic. Apparently the favourite colour in those days was red although, for some reason, the Irish preferred green. It's a fascinating subject.

Nonsense. The Irish prefer orange balloons. I have seen it in Irish movies.

And historical films that I have seen the balloons were all black and white.

Again, nonsense, just utter nonsense.

Nonsense. The Irish prefer orange balloons. I have seen it in Irish movies.

No sir, no! It's only the northern Irish that prefer the orange colour. They were great admirers of William of Orange. The southern Irish (Eire) prefer the green. Did you know that the northern Irish built the great liner Canberra?

I'm not sure if the balloons featured at the launch were for decoration or prophylactics. No doubt the P & O archives could throw some light on this maritime controversy.