Would you cruise with a common cold?

HaliMakai

Before you flame me, I am asking for a friend who is not on CC. Her family leaves on Thursday and she is coming down with a cold that everyone in her office has passed around. Her doctor refused to give her antibiotics since it is just a cold. She has no fever. If she does not travel her family will not be able to go since they have small children and her husband would not be able to handle. They did not purchase insurance since they booked about 10 days ago. Thoughts?

Yes, I would and have - either the tail end of one, or I've come down with one whilst on board. I wouldn't cancel for simply a cold. Fresh air and sunshine goes a long way to make you feel better.

Now I always pack Dayquil and Nyquil caps to fight the symptoms, and I use Cold-Eeze to help fight it off and minimize/shorten the symptoms/duration.

Thanks everyone, that is what I told her. Her plan is to lounge on her balcony and have room service.

Sounds like a plan. Add HOT honey-lemon tea with a splash of something special* ;)

*as long as she isn't taking any medicinal.

Edited by Philob

I would go, but I would fight it off fast so I could enjoy myself. Advise your friend:

High doses of vitamin C to replace what your body uses during the fight.(several thousand mg a day)

A spoon of raw honey with 1/4 tsp cinnamon mixed in. (twice daily)

A clove of garlic held as long as possible crunched between your back molars.

These are the tactics we use successfully.

Thermaflu, Robusstin, Alka-Selter for cold & Flu, aspirin, vitamin C, multi-vitamins, soup, sleep - combination of that will kill those cold symptoms in less 5 days. I know so, because I had a cold 2 weeks before my 1st trip and having the same issue now with my 2nd trip (dang sneezing people and karma, always have to mess up the best of plans:mad:)

. They did not purchase insurance since they booked about 10 days ago. Thoughts?

What does purchasing a cruise ten days ago have to do with the ability to purchase insurance? Her doctor is right to not prescribe antibiotics, as they will do nothing for a virus. There is a long thread on another board right now about a teen being denied boarding because she had a fever.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2123210&highlight=denied+boarding+fever

Edited by 6rugrats

Thermaflu, Robusstin, Alka-Selter for cold & Flu, aspirin, vitamin C, multi-vitamins, soup, sleep - combination of that will kill those cold symptoms in less 5 days. I know so, because I had a cold 2 weeks before my 1st trip and having the same issue now with my 2nd trip (dang sneezing people and karma, always have to mess up the best of plans:mad:)

Although I don't have first-hand experience, I've heard that a double shot of whiskey helps. If it doesn't kill the cold after two shots, you probably won't care anyhow.:D

Although I don't have first-hand experience, I've heard that a double shot of whiskey helps. If it doesn't kill the cold after two shots, you probably won't care anyhow.:D

Nah, that's brandy - now that think about, today is a day off for me and that would clear up the cough and sinus plus be wasted too. :p

Funny Above! :D

Actually, it could be quite helpful for a cough.

LuLu

At least 10,000 mg of vitamin c until better, like others have said hot toddy with whisky, water, lemon, raw honey and cinnamon. And yes I would go. In fact I did. Last cruise two yrs ago I came down with one right before we went, but it was not terrible since no one could tell. Just be thoughtful of others and wash hands often!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I would cruise with a cold. That's what DayQuil and NyQuil are for. My husband had a sinus infection on our Europe cruise and was given a decongestant and cough syrup at a pharmacy in Croatia.

I'm glad the doctor said "no" to antibiotics--they are not effective against viruses and overuse has created drug resistant strains.

By the way, most of the "remedies" mentioned above are bunk. One thing that is clinically proven to lessen the symptoms and shorten teh duration of teh rhinovirus is Zinc. Cold-Ease or similar. I am not a doctor, read the directions.

Edited by ducklite

Last year I was on a cruise and came down with a cold. Mostly stuffy nose, sneezing and a cough but mostly at night. I just took Nyqill to help me sleep and sucked on Halls drops during the day. It wasn't great, but I was able to function reasonably well.

you can survive and even do OK with a cold on a cruise. The important thing is not to go around spreading it all over the ship-but some basic precautions are all that you need.

By the way, most of the "remedies" mentioned above are bunk. One thing that is clinically proven to lessen the symptoms and shorten teh duration of teh rhinovirus is Zinc. Cold-Ease or similar. I am not a doctor, read the directions.

I agree most are bunk - except for the double shots of either whiskey or brandy.:D I prefer the medicinal powers of Canadian whisky the best but feel free to use Irish, Scotch, Fireball or even your American stuff. Better yet have your friend take a double shot of each just to make sure.Then she won't even remember she has a cold.... or if she's actually on a ship.:eek:

Guest maddycat

Cold-Eeze (honey lemon flavor). Clinically proven to reduce the duration of a cold. I swear by Cold-Eeze. It really works. At the first sign of a cold I start taking the lozenges........one every 2-4 hours.

Hope your friend feels better quickly and enjoys her cruise.

I agree all the remedies listed above likely do little more than make the manufacturers and their stockholders wealthy. :)

Rest, sun, lots of fluids, a cough syrup that loosens the cough rather than stifling it is probably the best one can do.

Hope your friend feels better quickly and enjoys her cruise.

I agree all the remedies listed above likely do little more than make the manufacturers and their stockholders wealthy. :)

Rest, sun, lots of fluids, a cough syrup that loosens the cough rather than stifling it is probably the best one can do.

Cold-Eeze is clinically proven to lessen the length and severity of a cold.