Summit 9043 or 'Secret' Sweet 16 Cabin?

OnlyMe

Hi all,

Well I'm back second guessing myself again :o and I need your help!

We booked our cruise for March pretty late so all the 'good' cabins were gone. We saw 9043 was available and have booked that because of the larger balcony AND it being concierge class. Now I have just read about the overhang blocking the sun and I'm second guessing our decision. On looking on X I see there are still some of the Sweet 16 cabins left with the 'double size' balconies but they are not Concierge class, they are 2A which means we wouldn't get the concierge breakfast and it would be a slightly smaller cabin inside.

I'm one of those people who like to feel like I have gotten the best deal for my money (hence booking the 9043) but don't want to be dissapointed.... I suppose I want the best of both worlds - no overhang, bigger balcony AND CC breakfasts etc:o .

Soooo..... what would you do?? Is the 2A 'that' much smaller that we would really notice? Is the concierge breakfast 'that' much better? ...We love having breakfast in our cabin. This will be our second time sailing X (the first time we were lucky enough to be upgraded from a SS to a CS). Also, we will be coming from a pretty cold climate so might miss not having the sun on our balcony (not sure 'cause we have never done the caribbean with a balcony before).

Apologies for being so long winded but I really need some help with this one!

PS I'm checking X's website daily for those 'good' cabins:)

As I'm sure others will tell you, it really comes down to personal preference. The balconies are relatively small, so having a bit of extra space out there would be nice! We sailed on the Connie in a CC room on the 9th deck (9126) and did not mind the overhang. There are support beams that come down from it which will show up in almost every picture you try to take from your balcony though. One evening we had rain, and we were glad for the bit of extra overhang. You will still be warm in the Caribbean, even without direct sunlight right on you. As a matter of fact, when we were sunburned, we were glad for the shade!

The breakfast on the balcony was really nice and I'm looking forward to doing it again on the Summit next week! We did choose deck 8 this time, but if 9 was all that was available, we would have taken that too. I can't compare to other rooms since we only had the CC cabin.

I can only give you my opinion and this will vary from person to person, but if I could get a Sweet Sixteen cabin, I'd take it over 9043. The main reason for me would be the overhang on deck 9. Personally I don't like that. As for the larger cabin, yes it is roomier in the CC, but if I was doing a Caribbean cruise then the open balcony and more space would win out. I can do without the CC perks. The lower price would be a bonus (those Sweet Sixteen cabins are category 2C by the way). JMHO. There are some pictures of 6025 "sweet" cabin in the link in my signature.

Phil

What do people mean by "overhang"? Because every balcony cabin I've been in has had some kind of covering at least partially covering the top that keeps it from being 100% open to the sun in the way that the pool deck is. Also, the amount of sun a cabin gets depends on the angle of the sun (i.e, time of day) and the direction the ship is traveling in. Even if there were a balcony with nothing over it at all, if it's on the "shady" side of the ship it won't get any sun.

Thanks so much for the VERY quick replies!

Phil, those are all GREAT photos!!! The balcony of 6025 looks VERY enticing - it seems a lot better than the one attached to 9043 (size and sun!) and is definately tending to swing me towards switching. AND the price difference is $260 less with it being a 2C (thanks for the correction) and not a 2A. I really don't think we would miss much of the CC perks except for maybe the duvet and the Elegant Tea Invitation - but that seems to be sporadic with CC cabins and there's no gurantee we'd get one on this cruise! and I'm not sure it's worth and extra $260.

Anyways, I'm keeping my options open yet - I have put the 2C on hold and have e-mailed my TA to see about switching and pricing - hopefully she comes back with a positive (and hopefully, if we do switch, none of the 'good' CC cabins come available (especially those on deck 6!!:eek: ) or I'll be kicking myself:rolleyes: :o ) .

Ps Phil, I see you were in 8106 at some stage - that's the cabin we were upgraded to last year ... wonder how we'll 'cope' in a 2c?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice Kitty. Coming from Ireland we don't see very much sun so our thinking is that it would be nice to have that option on our balcony .. you never know though, after a couple of days we might be looking for shade .... can you tell I'm the Queen of second guessing:o

Just remember that with those larger angled balconies nearly everyone on that deck level/side of ship can see you out on it since mostly you are near the edge of it. Very little privacy and unlike the side by side of some noses an hands on the railing.

Make sure your robe is tied :D

is the cabin we really love. Just got off the Connie and had this cabin. Very convenient to aft elevator. We did not miss the CC perks at all, and had the duvet and also feather pillows. We did not miss the afternoon intrusion of the appies, nor the flowers. For room service breakfast: in the past we just wrote in "eggs benedict" and got it with no problem. Did not have breakfast room service on this past cruise, as it was so easy for us to zip up to the Spa restaurant.

The only drawback was that we could not get lounges....none allowed anymore on side balconies except for suites. (we really tried).

As far as privacy, we did not have an issue.

Another drawback for us: smokers above and on the upwind cabin at times was not good. But that can happen in any cabin.

We were on Summit in #6030 for a back to back, and it was wonderful having that double size balcony. Half of it is under the balconies above it, and half of it sticks out. Just remember not to go all the way out to your rail unless you have something on!:D Also, 6030 is the last double balcony on the starboard side, so it's almost like not having a neighboring balcony on your right. BIG bonus, and much cheaper than a CC!

FinelyCruising & Usha - I'll make sure not to give anyone a view of anything more than I should if I venture to the rail:D

Unfortunately cabins 6030 & 6035 aren't available and the cabin I'm looking at is 6024 (6016 & 6018 are also available but they are covered all the way out I think.

gracecarmo - It's great to hear you didn't miss the CC perks! We found that with the afternoon tea / evening 'goodies' we really didn't need nor, by the end of the cruise, want them last time. I DO like to have a duvet though so hopefully Summit will have them too. Can I ask - did you feel the room inside being cramped compared to a CC or did you not notice much? Also, did the covered bit over the balcony provide any shade? I'm thinking that if it does then we will have the best of both worlds:) .

I'm very dissapointed to hear about the loungers - I was banking on getting at least one ... I'll give it a try anyways and will see ... maybe a tip upfront would work???

Thanks again everyone for your help and advice!

Please tell ---- what are the "sweet 16" cabins? and why do they have a double-size balcony? These are not aft cabins, which I thought had the largest balconies. Thanks.

These are some of the 'secret' cabins which have larger than normal balconies. The sweet 16 cabins are 6016, 6018, 6020, 6022, 6024, 6026, 6028 & 6030 on the starboard side and the corresponding cabins on the Port side. The deck plans don't show it but for some reason the balconies on these cabins extend out further making them twice the depth of 'normal' 2C cabins. They are the same price as those normal cabins but have the benefit of the extra large balconies. Most categories have some 'secret' cabins that have something over the ordinary better than 'normal' cabins in the same category and the deck plans don't always show these added bonuses.

CC class cabins that are 'better' than 'nornal' ones are 6135, 6136, 6143, 6144 and those right at the back of the ship. There is a thread at the top of this board that lists all the 'secret' cabins within each class which is very handy to be aware of.

Hope I have explained OK!

We were just on the same cruise with Grace and we had the "sweet 16" just opposite of hers (ours was 6030). We've had Concierge Class previously on Infinity, and unless a Concierge Class cabin was an aft (which we'll have on the Connie Repo in Oct.), I would always pick the sweet 16 cabin. There was no appreciable difference in the cabin size, the double size balcony was wonderful, didn't miss the afternoon appetizers or breakfast menu at all, and my cabin steward happily supplied me with 4 extra feather pillows (duvets and wonderful bedding are already in place). Run, don't walk, to get that sweet 16 cabin.

Jo-Ann

Albert - thanks for your advice!

Gibbsgirl - glad you found my explaination helpful. Before we book a cabin now I will always look for one of those 'secret' cabins first.... like to feel like I've gotten value for money:)

Jo-Ann - Thanks for your input! How did you find the balconf sun-wise? Did you get any shade from the covered bit or was it mostly in the sun all day??

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful advice!

These are some of the 'secret' cabins which have larger than normal balconies. The sweet 16 cabins

<snip>

There is a thread at the top of this board that lists all the 'secret' cabins within each class which is very handy to be aware of.

Is this only on Summit, or on other Celebrity ships as well? And any idea why these "secret" cabins are called sweet sixteens? (I understand the sweet part, but not the 16.)

Also, could you be a little clearer about the "thread at the top of this board" that identifies more prime cabins? (Are you referring to a sticky? Thread title, please?)

Caro

Onlyme, thanks for the explanation. It is indeed valuable information and you were very thorough. Thought I had accumulated a lot of info on my 11 cruises, but you can always learn something. THese boards are great.

gibbsgirl, if you have a look at the picture I posted above there is a cabin marked 6048. Follow that deck forward a bit and you'll see it suddenly jut out. Those cabins that are on the jut out are the "Sweet Sixteen" ones. Count them eight forward each side on deck 6. The forward most three on each side have some ironmongery around them that you can also see from the picture and this is shown in the picture link of 6025 in my sig.

Phil

UtterCaro: the 16 rfefers to the fact that these cabins are the first 8 balcony cabins forward on deck 6.....8 on each side.

Thank you, Grace. Makes sense to me now.

I'm assuming this configuration is the same on all M-class ships, correct? (I'm sailing CC on Century next month, but I'm thinking ahead to my inevitable second cruise. Thus does a newbie become a full-fledged balcony snob. ;))

Caro

Thank you, Grace. Makes sense to me now.

I'm assuming this configuration is the same on all M-class ships, correct? (I'm sailing CC on Century next month, but I'm thinking ahead to my inevitable second cruise. Thus does a newbie become a full-fledged balcony snob. ;))

Caro

Caro.

All the M-Class ships are the same in this regard. In addition to the sweet 16 2C cabins there are 4 CC class cabins on the Penthouse deck with large balonies, 6135,36,43,44. These have teak decking on the balconies and 6143,44 are 1’ wider with full canvas covered balconies on all M-Class ships except Millie (only 1/3rd covered). Also the Aft CC’s and FV’s offer large balconies as well.

So you can have your CC class breakfast and eat it on a large balcony too!:D

See you onboard Century!:)

Joel

So you can have your CC class breakfast and eat it on a large balcony too!:D

Thanks for the additional information, Joel. When I graduate to SV and throw a bodacious balcony party, I hope you and your charming wife will be my first guests. :D

Caro

Archived