What was the BEST Cruise you ever took?***

What was the BEST Cruise you ever took and why? It doesn't have to be an existing ship.

Mine was the SS United States 1959 from Germany to New York, after spending three years in Germany with my father who was in the Air Force. I was 12 at the time, and had never experienced luxury, having grown up in the military.

Meals were absolutely awesome. Even though you had assigned seating, everyone lined up a minimum of an hour early. Dress code was Tuxes, for all meals, including for kids. Our waiter was magnificent. For each meal there was a 56 page menu...you could order Lobster for Breakfast if you wanted. Service was perfection.

Something I REALLY adored and really miss was a huge basket of perfectly-ripe fruit in the cabin, refreshed several times a day. Because of regulations, all uneaten fruit had to be thrown overboard before arriving in the U.S., so they let you eat all you wanted.

Amazingly, even though we had First Class cabins, the cabin consisted of two bunkbeds!

The ship absolutely maintained First Class...there were literally bars with locks on them blocking First Class for the other classes, like on the movie Titanic. We saw First Run movies (a novelty for military folk.) I still remember them: Birdman of Alcatraz with Damon and Pythias. Entertainment consisted of horse races, where you bet on a horse, then they would throw dice and the number that came up advanced that particular horse one spot.

I adored the Promenade Deck as it had large lounge chairs. When you sat in one, a Steward immediately covered you with a nice warm blanket and brought you biscuits and Hot Tea. (It was cold in the Atlantic.)

The only pool was deep inside and almost never used. The gym was alongside the pool and consisted of a rowing machine and those "bowling pins for weight things" from the 20's. Without today's stabilizers, it was fun to get into the pool on rough sea days. The deep end would completely empty with one swell, then pop you to the ceiling with the next swell.

I got my first kiss....Wendy Buckeister....amazing to remember this long later, but who forgets their first kiss? We went to see the movies and I got to hold my first hand....I wasn't sure how to do it, so by the end of the movie, sweat was dripping from our hands onto the floor.

The absolutely most amazing part of the trip for me was the early gray morning we sailed into New York at about 6AM. Every single passenger was on deck to watch as we sailed by the Statue of Liberty. To my amazement, only being 12, I started weeping and then saw every person was similarly crying at the experience.

If you've seen the movie Titanic, this is what the cruise was, minus the sinking.

• 1 month later...

Brock....My very first cruise was also on the SS United States in 1967. I was 7. I don't have lots of memories of it, but I do remember the indoor pool with the salt water.....and the WAVES! It was my very first time in a pool. I remember the waiter and that my sister drank iced tea at every meal.

There were parties just for the kids and we got dressed in fancy dresses. I still have my charm bracelet that spells out SS United States. And I vividly remember sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

That cruise was basically just our transportation to the United States. I had some fun but don't have too many memories. The first cruise for vacation was as an adult aboard Home Lines Oceanic. LOVED IT! It changed the direction of my life actually. I came home and quit my job and became a travel agent.

I think most people remember their first cruise most vividly and it is usually their favorite.

I would say our Transatlantic on the Carnival Splendor. We had mostly nice weather, some wonderful ports, and a nice new ship. We also met Jaime D. who is now the ACD on the Carnival Pride. She is a great asset to Carnival and a lot of fun. She loves to flirt with older guys and I took full advantage of that.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...
What was the BEST Cruise you ever took and why? It doesn't have to be an existing ship.

Mine was the SS United States 1959 from Germany to New York, after spending three years in Germany with my father who was in the Air Force. I was 12 at the time, and had never experienced luxury, having grown up in the military.

Meals were absolutely awesome. Even though you had assigned seating, everyone lined up a minimum of an hour early. Dress code was Tuxes, for all meals, including for kids. Our waiter was magnificent. For each meal there was a 56 page menu...you could order Lobster for Breakfast if you wanted. Service was perfection.

Something I REALLY adored and really miss was a huge basket of perfectly-ripe fruit in the cabin, refreshed several times a day. Because of regulations, all uneaten fruit had to be thrown overboard before arriving in the U.S., so they let you eat all you wanted.

Amazingly, even though we had First Class cabins, the cabin consisted of two bunkbeds!

The ship absolutely maintained First Class...there were literally bars with locks on them blocking First Class for the other classes, like on the movie Titanic. We saw First Run movies (a novelty for military folk.) I still remember them: Birdman of Alcatraz with Damon and Pythias. Entertainment consisted of horse races, where you bet on a horse, then they would throw dice and the number that came up advanced that particular horse one spot.

I adored the Promenade Deck as it had large lounge chairs. When you sat in one, a Steward immediately covered you with a nice warm blanket and brought you biscuits and Hot Tea. (It was cold in the Atlantic.)

The only pool was deep inside and almost never used. The gym was alongside the pool and consisted of a rowing machine and those "bowling pins for weight things" from the 20's. Without today's stabilizers, it was fun to get into the pool on rough sea days. The deep end would completely empty with one swell, then pop you to the ceiling with the next swell.

I got my first kiss....Wendy Buckeister....amazing to remember this long later, but who forgets their first kiss? We went to see the movies and I got to hold my first hand....I wasn't sure how to do it, so by the end of the movie, sweat was dripping from our hands onto the floor.

The absolutely most amazing part of the trip for me was the early gray morning we sailed into New York at about 6AM. Every single passenger was on deck to watch as we sailed by the Statue of Liberty. To my amazement, only being 12, I started weeping and then saw every person was similarly crying at the experience.

If you've seen the movie Titanic, this is what the cruise was, minus the sinking.

Renaissance R3 to French Polynesia. Sorry that cruise line did not make it as it was the best cruise and best price!

It was a Princess Cruise but this wasnt about the ship, it was the Ports of Call. Absolutely magical = Thailand riding the elephants through the River Kwai; China climbing the Great Wall; walking through the Forbidden City; Standing on the Deck as we left Hong Kong with "Time to say goodbye" being played; Vietnam visiting the Ho Chi Mein tunnels; Japan

Okinawa meeting an elderly American who had fought his way onto the beaches during the second world war as he returned to lay ghosts to rest; Shanghai watching the silk being spun; drinking a Singapore Sling in Raffles I could go on and on enough memories to last a lifetime.

Wonderful story; I can just imagine myself on that crossing.

Of course the first cruise has to be the most exciting and memorable for me, even though it was only a 4 day on the Little Old Carnival Holiday. That ship seemed HUGE to us and what fun we had hearing all the jokes and the trivia and little CD games and singing waiters for the first time. That is why I love introducing newbies to cruising, particularly if I can accompany them on their first cruise. It is like seeing things through a child's eyes.

I have to say that two of our favorite cruises though were on the Freedom and the Dream sailing 12 days from Rome. My first trip to Europe was amazing as well as the one on the Dream last year. We absolutely fell in love with Italy (Rome and Venice were our favorites). I actually cried on our last day in Rome before returning home last year.

• 1 month later...

Our cruise on one of the original Renaissance ships....with only 125 passengers. What a beautiful ship, passengers that we had so much fun with and shore activities unlike any offered before or since. For example, one "excursion" involved Suzuki Samurais (rented by the cruise line) and an all-day treasure hunt on St. Barts. We all had a blast zipping around that small Caribbean island in our Samurais, trying to figure out the clues. A day-long blast with teams of 2s and 4s vying, laughing, searching, seeking! Another day, the "excursion" was with mountain bikes and a ride through the flora and fauna of Montserrat (before the Volcano made a mess of that island). Other very unique activities...and if you wanted to play golf, the ship staff would make the arrangements. Cabins were wonderful, service was super, food was grand. I sure miss that ship...altho I know some of the Ren boats are in service, most of them are the larger Ren boats and with companies and/or itineraries that we aren't too excited about. So we enjoy our memories of that one fantastic Ren III cruise.

But we have had so many excellent ones otherwise....I am not complaining! These days, give us a tall-ship cruise, and we are ready to up anchor.

In June of 1984, DW and I honeymooned aboard Sitmar's TSS Fairsea. We were, albeit is prior to meeting one another, seasoned cruisers having voyaged with Home Lines and others mostly out of the old Manhattan piers.

What a vessel! Old style. Rich with real woods. Portholes. All the nautical flare that made you realize you were on a magnificent ship - not a floating Las Vegas resort.

Ten years later we took our son and my parents aboard the then-Princess Cruises Fair Princess; nee Fairsea. Our waiter (the late Ivano Rondini) had been our Wine Steward on our honeymoon cruise. The head waiter, Maurizio, was there, too.

Two years later we sailed into Mazatlan aboard Carnival's Jubilee. Fair Princess was tied up alongside. No passengers. It was awaiting a trip to the scrappers. I took one lone look at a vessel that will forever evoke great memories.

I felt like I was bidding farewell to a friend.

So far our best cruise to date was on Celebrity Constellation. I don't know if the stars were just properly alligned, my karma was clean as a whistle, or what, but it was as close to a "perfect: vacation as I have experienced. The ship is magnificent, we visited some wonderful ports of call including what is currently my favorite (Cartagena, Columbia), and we lucked in to ideal table mates at dinner. By about the fifth night, we were laughing and enjoying each others' company as much as if we were family.

• 2 weeks later...

After 27 it has to be either the first cruise, that all others are measured aginst. It was magical everything was new and exciting. Or the next one, always trying [like a junky trying to outdo that first fix]to find the same exhilaration.

Never have yet, but sure are having fun trying!

The Norway in 1995 when a friend was able to arrange for us (in a very basic cabin) to be invited to the Captain's table and private pre-party. We entered the dining room well after everyone was finished their first course. I recall my mother (who was traveling with me) being terrified that she'd trip on her long dress and tumble down the grand staircase -- she didn't. :)

It was a great ship and an even better experience -- absolutely unforgettable.

For ports alone . . . Scandinavia. Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Berlin, Helsinki . . . every single port is utterly fantastic.

• 2 months later...
In June of 1984, DW and I honeymooned aboard Sitmar's TSS Fairsea. We were, albeit is prior to meeting one another, seasoned cruisers having voyaged with Home Lines and others mostly out of the old Manhattan piers.

What a vessel! Old style. Rich with real woods. Portholes. All the nautical flare that made you realize you were on a magnificent ship - not a floating Las Vegas resort.

Ten years later we took our son and my parents aboard the then-Princess Cruises Fair Princess; nee Fairsea. Our waiter (the late Ivano Rondini) had been our Wine Steward on our honeymoon cruise. The head waiter, Maurizio, was there, too.

Two years later we sailed into Mazatlan aboard Carnival's Jubilee. Fair Princess was tied up alongside. No passengers. It was awaiting a trip to the scrappers. I took one lone look at a vessel that will forever evoke great memories.

I felt like I was bidding farewell to a friend.

NJ Fred, I hope that you see this. When you saw Fair Princess tied up at Mazatlan in 1996 she was not awaiting a trip to the ship breaking yard. At the end of that summer her owners, P&O (parent company of Princess Cruises) announced that she would operate cruises out of Sydney, Australia. In February 1997 she departed on her first cruise out of that port with 1,050 passengers aboard. I took one of her cruises and she was a lovely ship with a great atmosphere. Sailing on cruises out of Australia was only a brief period for in 2000 she was sold to be used on gambling cruises out of Hong Kong. This was an unsuccessful venture though it managed to survive for a few years. The ship ultimately went to the breakers in November 2005. So, your goodbye to her was a good decade premature!

There are so many to consider (I've taken 62 cruises in all, so far) but out of all of those there are certainly highlights.

To some of the less visited Caribbean islands aboard Sea Cloud has to stand out as really special.

To Easter Island, Pitcairn, Tahiti, Bora Bora and Auckland aboard Saga Rose.

My one and only cruise aboard Rotterdam (the 'real' Rotterdam, not the present one).

And then there was one fabulous cruise aboard Regatta, wonderful food, the very best at sea.

• 2 weeks later...

I think favorite cruises mean different things for me, it could be a favorite because that is when we had fantastic dinnermates or terrific ports or the ship and its staff are great, it goes on and on.

By far, my least favorite was my first, never thought I would cruise again, I HATED it, Carnvial Tropicale app. 2000. However, looking back it wasn't the cruise per se it was where I was in my personal life.:rolleyes:

One of my favorites so far was the Celebrity Galaxy in 2003, because my wonderful husband had just proposed to me three days earlier. I didn't think he would like cruising, but I think he now likes it even more than I do and we now cruise twice a year. :D

By far, the best Cruise Critic roll call was the Norwegian Pearl and the ports on that cruise were wonderful.

But. like some others have said I always look forward to the next cruise to see if that tops our favorite. But to me, any cruise is a good cruise!;)

We leave for Bermuda in two and a half weeks :p

Nina from Baltimoreo aka cavewoman

• 1 month later...

My BEST cruise ever was called the GRAND MILLENNIUM voyage on Marco Polo. The entire trip was 31 days long.

We flew from Houston to Capetown, South Africa; spent a couple nights there.

We then boarded the Marco Polo, and sailed from Capetown to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. There, all but 420 of the passengers disembarked.

We then sailed along the east coast of South America, stopping at all of the major ports, on our way to Ushuaia. There the stores and fuel were taken on for our journey to Antarctica, where we had 5-6 landings scheduled.

Off we went.... And it was so exciting seeing that first iceberg.... many more would follow....

We celebrated Jan 01, 2000 in Antarctica!!!! I was able to complete all 7 continents in 25 years of travel. This was the last one; and the cruise itself was almost an afterthought. We didn't book it until June of 1999; late by most standards since only 420 people could go.

My mother was 79 at the time, and questioned whether she could do this trip. So many people helped her, and she talked about that trip until she died in 2003.

Of course, we loved it sooooo much that we went back in 2000 to celebrate the REAL millennium. It was a shorter cruise, but had some different landings than the previous year.

Knowing that so few travelers will ever set foot on the Antarctic continent, I count myself very very lucky. Those 2 cruises were like none of my cruises. I still find joy in looking at the pictures.

In 2001 we did a 10 day Athens to Rome cruise on Renaissance , great cruise line that went under 6 months later right after 9/11. It was adults only and non smoking with great ports in both Greece and Italy, I have also taken over 50 cruises.

Best cruise was my second. It was the first cruise DW and I took (she was DGF at the time). First cruise got me hooked, but the company wasn't great. My GF at the time and I were going through a downward spiral and that made me realize that I wanted other things more than her.

Best cruise for me was an 18-Day repositioning cruise that left Ft. Lauderdale and ended in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I lived in Rio for five years as a kid and this was my first trip back as an adult. I went with my Mom and Dad and my youngest brother who was born there (but left too early to remember). We stayed a couple of extra days in Rio. Loved it!

Ports:

Kingstown, St. Vincent

Bridgetown, Barbados

St. George, Granada

Port of Spain, Trinidad

Devil's Island, French Guyana

Belem, Brazil

Fortaleza, Brazil

Recife, Brazil

Salvador, Brazil

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

• 9 months later...

The best cruise I ever took was this past September 11th, when they let us honor those who had perished in NYC. The CC Members all posted on our thread about setting up a sail away for 6:30 pm, instead of 4:00 pm. We contacted all the right people who worked for CCL, and they made it all possible. I'll never forget the bag piper who walked the decks, watching the lights of the city come on, and most of all, the feelings of pride I felt for our country as we stopped in front of the Freedom tower, and saw the two lights that lit up the sky. It was a memorable experience, and will remain with me forever.

After 27 it has to be either the first cruise, that all others are measured aginst. It was magical everything was new and exciting. Or the next one, always trying [like a junky trying to outdo that first fix]to find the same exhilaration.

Never have yet, but sure are having fun trying!

Absolutely our first cruise was the best, even though we stayed in a simple ocean view stateroom with portholes, low down on the ship, and we have since travelled in much more opulent accommodations.

• 3 months later...

Favorite cruise was my first....Carnival Fascination southern carribean. San Juan, St Thomas, Guadeloupe, Grenada, Caracas and Aruba. Loved the live band on deck during the day, food was great and meeting new people. Went on this cruise alone, back then they would set you up with a roommate so you didn't have to pay single rate. One of my favorite things was the snorkeling in Aruba.....Caracas was scary, but was interesting. Loved Grenada...would love to go there again.

• 2 weeks later...
Favorite cruise was my first....Carnival Fascination southern carribean. San Juan, St Thomas, Guadeloupe, Grenada, Caracas and Aruba. Loved the live band on deck during the day, food was great and meeting new people. Went on this cruise alone, back then they would set you up with a roommate so you didn't have to pay single rate. One of my favorite things was the snorkeling in Aruba.....Caracas was scary, but was interesting. Loved Grenada...would love to go there again.

That was my first cruise too. I loved the people in Grenada and absolutely fell in love with St. Thomas. Caracas was nice also, I remember seeing black squirrels for the first time. We even went to a 5 star restaurant..at least that is the way they described it. Food...not so great, the air conditioning was not working, it was blowing warm air, but the servers were so humble and nice that we just overlooked it. Overall, the cruise itself was such a wonderful experience. :)

Archived