SVG St Vincent and Grenadines

Southendweather

Keith, it's still not a major cruise stop. And until it gets a better airport, not a major destination for land resorts - it's difficult and expensive to get there by air.

You mention a bat cave on "the island." But of course, St.V and the Grenadines are many islands. Which island did you hear about this for? You might have more luck with this question on Trip Advisor.

Thanks for your reply. The write up of the tour we have booked reads as follows:

<snip>

No tour of St Vincent would be complete without viewing the exit of the Bat Cave and looking out for its furry, winged inhabitants.

<snip>

I have a feeling it maybe a cave that is seen from the sea, as part of our ecursion is by boat and goes to:

<snip>

The village of Wallilabou, will be a familiar site, as this was the setting for the film ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’

<snip>

We also view 'Dark Falls Waterfall a 75 foot falls. The excursion is the longest one booked on the whole cruise and lasts for 7 hours. :)

Keith (Southend, UK)

Keith, it's still not a major cruise stop. And until it gets a better airport, not a major destination for land resorts - it's difficult and expensive to get there by air.

You mention a bat cave on "the island." But of course, St.V and the Grenadines are many islands. Which island did you hear about this for? You might have more luck with this question on Trip Advisor.

So, your tour is on St V, and if you're going to Wallilabou, you will be traveling up the west side of St Vincent, by water. It's a lovely trip - we did it a few years ago. Not quite sure what they mean by the "Bat Cave." Probably trying to make it sound exciting. But that west coast is carved out by water and there is a place that is very dark and seems to go deep into the rocks. I doubt bats will be moving around in daylight though...

There are many birds on the rocks as you go by on a boat, and certainly the possibility of seeing whales or dolphins. Try to watch the first "Pirates" movie before you go. When you are at Wallilabou, you will recognize some of the settings. When we were there they had a signed "Thank you" from the cast, and the beach boys sold me a cheap bead necklace they said was Keira Knightly's favourite. Charming!

We didn't get to Dark Falls - sounds great. Enjoy the Vincys and their gentle way of life.

Another fun excursion from St Vincent is a sail over to Bequia.

It is a real sail, not of the motorized nonsense some islands subject you to. There are several interesting sights along the way, and the small port town in Bequia is scenic and fun.

I've done it twice. once was sublime, perfect in every way, but the second time the captain was drinking rum (openly) the entire way, and took some shortcuts (did not show us the old whaling station, etc.) .

Choose your vendor well...both of these were through the cruise line - I think HAL.