Excursion from Sydney to Uluru

Bull & Crab

Hi, Has anyone done the the ships overnight excursion from Sydney to Uluru? There seems to be a lot of travelling involved but is the end result worth it? Have you a rough idea of the cost involved? Any further information or tips would be appreciated.

Hi, Has anyone done the the ships overnight excursion from Sydney to Uluru? There seems to be a lot of travelling involved but is the end result worth it? Have you a rough idea of the cost involved? Any further information or tips would be appreciated.

Sorry but cannot be done as an overnight. It is in the middle of the country and you have to fly in and out. It is 2800 km from Sydney.

Is the ship even offering such an excursion? If so, it's pretty optimistic as it's a 4 hour flight each way, let alone more time spent/wasted getting to/from the airport, actually seeing the rock and overnight accommodation. If it is being offered, is it worth it? You'll be busy and it will be expensive but it is very impressive so it's your call.

Of course it can be done.

Try skypac.com.au.

Around AUD 4000.- per hour for a small jet for up to 7 passengers.

Free pickup from the ship!

Of course anything is possible if you have the money. In fact it can be done and I ruled it out without research. A quick look at a Sydney/Uluru one night package is available for approx AUD 1400pp (subject to season).

As Baggywinkle99 says it is up to you.

I've been to Uluru twice and enjoyed each visit. But there is no way that I would say a one-day trip costing AUD 1400 would be worth it. I don't know what the itinerary it, but it's likely to be something like fly 3 hours to Uluru, bus tour around Uluru for a couple of hours and fly back to Uluru for 3 hours.

To me, in order to really appreciate the Red Center, you need to walk around Uluru, walk through Kata Tjuta and stay at least one night to see Uluru at sunset and sunrise as well as the amazing night sky.

Thank you for all of your comments including the sarcastic ones. P&O are offering an overnight excursion when it docks into Sydney on its World Cruise (Departing the ship early, you’ll take the first flight to Ayers Rock, via Alice Springs in the Red Centre of Australia. 3 hour 20 minute flight. You’ll have an opportunity to enjoy a brief tour of Alice Springs before the quick, 50 minute flight to Ayers Rock). You see the rock at sunset and sunrise. Before you say it I did put it on the P&O forums and it was suggested this one as well. Which reverts back to my original question, all I want to know has anyone done it? and was it worth it?

Dont know what country you are from and which P&O ship you are on and when you arrive in Sydney.

The reason you are getting sarcastic responses is that you would find it hard pressed to find anyone in Australia doing an overnighter to Uluru. Crazy idea and very expensive. You will spend very little time there and IMO not worth it.

Bit like arriving in SFO and ducking over to NYC for a 30 minute look.

Your flight is also not direct to Uluru but via Alice Springs. There are direct flights. There is not much to see in Alice Springs. The sunrise viewing is very early and you are up around 4am followed by a long flight back to Sydney. Add on the waiting times at each airport. Makes for a very tiring and expensive 24 hrs.

Cant believe P&O would even offer such an excursion from Sydney. Has anyone done it? Doubt it unless they are millionaires.

You are docked in one of the World's most beautiful cities - enjoy Sydney instead.

There is an airport at Uluru and direct flights there (4 hours each way) from Sydney. Adding a "detour" via Alice Springs - 400km from Uluru - would add even more precious time to the trip. If this excursion is being offered I can only assume the organisers have a very slick logistical exercise in place with very little wriggle room for any kind of delays. Apart from the likely exhaustion and expense of undertaking such a flying visit, I don't think I could handle the worry of the slightest thing going wrong and ruining the whole trip. You certainly wouldn't have enough time to really appreciate and understand the place.

If your cruise starts/ends in Sydney why not think about doing a more relaxed and relaxing trip to Uluru pre/post cruise? I would allow at least 2 full days there so you can explore the area properly. But it won't be cheap. Flights and accommodation alone come at a hefty price. Whether it's "worth it" as an experience is very subjective. Some people feel a profound spiritual connection with the place, to others it's just a big red rock. The problem is that you probably won't know until you get there!

Dont know what country you are from and which P&O ship you are on and when you arrive in Sydney.

The reason you are getting sarcastic responses is that you would find it hard pressed to find anyone in Australia doing an overnighter to Uluru. Crazy idea and very expensive. You will spend very little time there and IMO not worth it.

Bit like arriving in SFO and ducking over to NYC for a 30 minute look.

Your flight is also not direct to Uluru but via Alice Springs. There are direct flights. There is not much to see in Alice Springs. The sunrise viewing is very early and you are up around 4am followed by a long flight back to Sydney. Add on the waiting times at each airport. Makes for a very tiring and expensive 24 hrs.

Cant believe P&O would even offer such an excursion from Sydney. Has anyone done it? Doubt it unless they are millionaires.

You are docked in one of the World's most beautiful cities - enjoy Sydney instead.

Just for you cassamanda here is a copy of the excursion offered by P&O Arcadia on her 2015 World Circumnavigation (you can find it on the UK P&O site)

Ayers Rock Overland - Double

Ayers Rock Overland - Double

Duration: 2 nights

Witness the majesty of Ayers Rock bathed in golden light; enjoy the sounds of the desert and soak up the unique ‘Red Centre’ atmosphere.

• Show less

DAY 1 – ALICE SPRINGS AND AYERS ROCK

Departing the ship early, you’ll take the first flight to Ayers Rock, via Alice Springs in the Red Centre of Australia. A light snack lunch will be served during your 3 hour 20 minute flight. You’ll have an opportunity to enjoy a brief tour of Alice Springs before the quick, 50 minute flight to Ayers Rock. Upon arrival, board your coach for a tour of the Olga’s and the mighty Monolith. Kata Tjutu (The Olga’s) is a sacred Aboriginal ceremonial site and part of the Uluru – Kata Tjutu National Park. Enjoy a glass of sparkling wine as you watch the changing colours as the sun sets over Ayers Rock. Check into the Sails in the Desert Hotel where you will have dinner.

DAY 2 – AYERS ROCK AND SYDNEY

Following an early breakfast, join your guide for an early morning tour to witness the beauty of Uluru (Ayers Rock) bathed in the soft morning light. Its vast shape rises from the sand dunes highlighting its magnificent presence. Learn the creation stories of Liru (poisonous snake) and Kuniya (python) and hear about the Mala people. Bid farewell to the Red Centre of Australia as you take your return flight to Sydney via Alice Springs. A light snack lunch will be offered during this service. On arrival in Sydney you’ll check into the Grace Hotel where you’ll have time to freshen up before heading out for dinner. Take in the incredible views from the 360 Restaurant in the heart of Sydney. Allow this iconic cityscape to unfold before you as you enjoy this wonderful dining experience.

DAY 3 – MELBOURNE

After breakfast you’ll transfer to the airport for the short flight to Melbourne (2 hours 33 minutes). On arrival in Melbourne, known as the ‘Arts capital of Australia’, enjoy a scenic sightseeing tour to view the highlights of this vibrant city. Pass by the Colonial buildings that lay amidst the modern architecture and pause at points of interest for photos. Return to Arcadia in time for late lunch on board.

Essential information

Bookings for this tour will close on 14th December 2013. There is a strict minimum and maximum participation. Please ensure you book the correct tour code for the accommodation you require (Double = SYD808, Single = SYD809). Prices shown on your record of shore excursions are per person, not per room. Once your booking is confirmed, any cancellation made after bookings close will incur a 100% cancellation fee. This tour departs Sydney on 26th February and returns in Melbourne 28th February. Please check your embarkation /disembarkation dates carefully before booking this overland. This excursion is physically demanding. Be prepared for early morning starts and lengthy days. No refunds will be given for any unused portion.

The fare includes: transport by coach and plane, sightseeing and hotel accommodation as stated. Meals include water, tea and coffee. 1 glass of wine is included with evening meals, additional beverages will be charged to passengers’ own account.

The fare does not include: items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, gratuities, room service, liquor, doctor’s fees and any medication or prescriptions. Passengers who require a visa for Australia must be in possession of a valid eVisitor or ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) prior to embarking the ship.

What to pack: Please remember your passport and any medication you may require. Luggage limit is 1 bag per person with a maximum weight of 20kg. Passengers should take closed walking shoes and a lightweight jacket/ jumper for the cool evenings. Sunglasses, hat and sunscreen are also advised. Valuables should be left on board the ship. Please remember to carry a credit card or Australian dollars for any additional purchases.

I feel I am banging my head against a brick wall and admit to defeat but thank you for your comment anyway.

There is an airport at Uluru and direct flights there (4 hours each way) from Sydney. Adding a "detour" via Alice Springs - 400km from Uluru - would add even more precious time to the trip. If this excursion is being offered I can only assume the organisers have a very slick logistical exercise in place with very little wriggle room for any kind of delays. Apart from the likely exhaustion and expense of undertaking such a flying visit, I don't think I could handle the worry of the slightest thing going wrong and ruining the whole trip. You certainly wouldn't have enough time to really appreciate and understand the place.

If your cruise starts/ends in Sydney why not think about doing a more relaxed and relaxing trip to Uluru pre/post cruise? I would allow at least 2 full days there so you can explore the area properly. But it won't be cheap. Flights and accommodation alone come at a hefty price. Whether it's "worth it" as an experience is very subjective. Some people feel a profound spiritual connection with the place, to others it's just a big red rock. The problem is that you probably won't know until you get there!

Thank you Baggywrinkle99 for your very informative and pleasant reply. I agree it will be our decision in the end. In the end the cost of the excursion will probably be the the deciding factor.

So it's a 3-day trip, not an overnight. That puts a different complexion on it.

If:

• this will be your only trip to Australia, and
  • you can afford it,

I say go!

Otherwise, plan for a longer visit, so you can see more when you get there.

The above description was for the last world cruise where they rejoined the ship in Melbourne. For the upcoming world cruise they will have an overnight in Sydney (2 days) and the next port of call will be Brisbane after a day at sea. I would imagine that is where you will rejoin the cruise this time.

You would need to wait for this years itinerary to be posted before making a decision, but I know of folk who have done this trip ,3 days with Princess, and they said that they felt very rushed .

So it's a 3-day trip, not an overnight. That puts a different complexion on it.

Yes, it's a 3-day excursion, but it's less than 24 hours at Uluru. And it sounds even worse than I predicted--a 4+ hour flight with a stopover in Alice Springs (where there is nothing worth seeing from a bus), a couple of hours on a bus seeing Kata Tjuta and Uluru with no allowances to get out and walk the sites and another 4+ hour flight less than 24 hours later. While it is good that the tour includes an overnight stay so you can see sunrise and sunset, it does not include the iconic "Sounds of Silence" dinner that is so popular with visitors.

I agree with those that recommend doing your own visit to Sydney, Melbourne and Uluru prior to or subsequent to your cruise. You'll spend about as much time in airports and flying on this excursion as you will actually sightseeing!

Actually, it may be rushed but I think it's doable. You don't need to spend any time in Alice Springs, and seeing sunset and sunrise at Uluru is the reason for going there. It ticks a lot of boxes. Be prepared for the 4 hour flight but honestly it's not that bad. Chill out and enjoy it.

We did a 1 day (not overnight) return train trip from NYC to Washington DC which many would say was crazy. Yet that day trip remains one of the highlights of our trip.

Edited by Pushka

Hello

if this is one and only trip to australia go for it. please bring a fly net, water and possibly a jumper. i have no idea when your coming so winter it is very cold and summer very hot.

but i can suggest this been from Alice Springs

save up and come over for a week or more

5 hours drive to the rock sunset, sunrise, stars, walks, the Olgas two days here

4 hours to Kings Canyon, early morning hike, sunset

5 hours to Alice

day trips from Alice are plenty

Hermensberg and Palm Valley

West Macdonell Range stunning, you could even stay out at Glen Helen

plenty to do in town sunset, sunrise from Anzac Hill, Royal Flying Docs, School of the Air etc

two day trip up to Tenant Creek and the Devils Marbles

many companies do a three day tour from here to the Rock from backpackers to Emu Run to Kings. so lots of different options.

so it really depends on your travel budgets now and in the future.

best of luck with your decision

Hhmm, that's a tough one. I wouldn't do the tour myself as I live close enough to Australia to make an unrushed visit to the area one day. But I can understand the appeal.

Two cruises I have seriously considered but didn't end up doing were a Baltic cruise and a South East Asia cruise. On the Baltic cruise, I was tempted by the overnighter to Moscow, and on the Asia cruise I was tempted by the overnighter to Angkor Wat. A resident of Russia and Cambodia probably would have thought me insane, but travelling with a bucket list and coming from a country so far away, you tend to see things differently.

A four hour flight to Uluru seems tiny compared to the 24 hour flight needed (and tens of thousands of dollars) to come back.

Sorry Bull and Crab that I haven't answered your question, but good luck deciding. It certainly looks doable, if not extremely rushed. I think only you can decide for sure if it's worth it. :-)

Edited by oskarNZ

Crystal is offering a 3 excursion to Ayers Rock as well.

We will not be taking it. Way too much flying for us. The rock will await another trip. Here is the write up:

Ayers Rock, The Olgas, Walpa Gorge, Kuniya Piti, Mutijulu Waterhole, Kantju Gorge and Longitude 131

Activity Level Moderate Adventure

Walking Type Moderate Moderate

Age Appropriateness All Ages

Duration Two Nights

Price TBA

2-night Overland Adventure: Pre-Reservation Required

A World Heritage Site and one of the most iconic of Australia’s landmarks, Ayers Rock, also known as Uluru, is located virtually smack-dab in the center of Australia. Rising dramatically out of the sunbaked earth, the sandstone rock formation is 1,142 feet high and nearly six miles in circumference. While these statistics remain unchanging, the rock’s appearance varies depending on the time of day. Sunset is particularly striking, when the rock’s hue briefly glows red.

Nearby is a group of domed rock formations called Kata Tjuta, or The Olgas, that are the second of the two major landmarks in the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, the destination of this two-night Overland Adventure. Your experience includes not only treks to view these astounding natural formations but also a stay in the eco-sensitive tent resort of Longitude 131, featuring luxury safari-style accommodations and stunning views.

Tuesday, March 3

Beginning your adventure at the pier, board your motor coach for the approximately 45-minute transfer to the Sydney airport. Here, you will take the flight to Ayers Rock, arriving after approximately two hours.

On landing at the Ayers Rock airport, enjoy the approximately one-hour transfer to Longitude 131, your eco-sensitive wilderness lodging inspired by camping in the Outback, yet delivering the luxuries of a five-star resort. Indeed, Longitude 131 is a safari-style luxury tented site, with fifteen well-appointed tents offering essentials such as air-conditioning and private bathroom, along with creature comforts such as expansive stone floors, beautiful linens, bathrobes, minibar and Bose Sound System with CD player and iPod connectivity.

As impressive as your room’s amenities is the resort’s location at the gateway of Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and with views of the star of the park, Ayers Rock.

After lunch at the resort, join your guide and fellow adventurers for an afternoon expedition to Kata Tjuta, also known as The Olgas, a famous natural landmark comprising of 36 majestic dome-shaped rock formations. During your outing, you will learn about the area’s unique fauna and flora and gain insights into the cultural significance of Kata Tjuta as a sacred Aboriginal ceremonial site.

Head towards Walpa Gorge and walk between the walls of these mighty domes, taking time to listen to the wind, or walpa, and feel the spirituality of this amazing natural locale.

Returning to the resort, you will have time to freshen up before gathering for your evening meal at Table 131, Longitude 131’s marvelous onsite dining venue. As you arrive at the remarkable dinner setting, you will be greeted by the deep sounds of the didgeridoo while local performers work the fascinating steps of a traditional dance.

A treat for all the senses, your dinner experience lets you feast on three delicious courses complemented by fine Australian wines, all in an outdoor setting showcasing views of Ayers Rock and Mount Olga. As nightfall descends over the scene, you will continue your dining indulgence under a blanket of stars.

Conclude your magical evening with complimentary after-dinner drinks at the resort’s Dune House.

Looking forward to another day of sightseeing, retreat to your luxurious tent for your overnight stay.

Wednesday, March 4

Your day begins early as you depart the Dune House before dawn, bound for the secluded viewing area where you will witness the magnificent sunrise over Uluru, or Ayers Rock. With day breaking over Australia’s heartland, listen as your guide discusses local history, including the plight of early explorers and their interactions with the Anangu people, the traditional owners of this spectacular wilderness.

Continue to the sacred site of Kuniya Piti and then on to the Mutitjulu Waterhole. During your guided trek, you will hear the Anangu creation story of Kuniya and Liru. After a short walk to the Cultural Centre, learn the spiritual and cultural significance of Uluru and Kata Tjuta.

Some significance will be given to your appetite for breakfast, as you will enjoy a light repast.

Back at Longitude 131, take advantage of free time for independent sightseeing, or perhaps simply to take a dip in the free-form pool or relax in your comfortable tent.

Before sunset, your guide will escort you on the short walk known as the Mala Walk, which takes you towards Uluru and into the Kantju Gorge. Once “inside” Uluru, nibble on canapés and sip evening drinks, perfect accompaniments to the visual pleasures of watching the sun set over the land.

Afterward, return to Longitude 131 and have dinner at the Dune House, savoring its intimate ambiance and the company of your travel companions.

Linger over your meal and share impressions of your fantastic Australia experience before turning in for the night.

Thursday, March 5

Early this morning, check out of the resort and join your motor coach for the 25-minute transfer to the Ayers Rock airport.

On arrival, board your 50-minute flight to Alice Springs, where you will make the connecting four-hour flight to Melbourne, with lunch served on board.

Arriving at the Melbourne airport, transfer to the pier, rejoining your Crystal ship after a journey of approximately 90 minutes.

• 1 year later...
Hello

if this is one and only trip to australia go for it. please bring a fly net, water and possibly a jumper. i have no idea when your coming so winter it is very cold and summer very hot.

but i can suggest this been from Alice Springs

save up and come over for a week or more

5 hours drive to the rock sunset, sunrise, stars, walks, the Olgas two days here

4 hours to Kings Canyon, early morning hike, sunset

5 hours to Alice

day trips from Alice are plenty

Hermensberg and Palm Valley

West Macdonell Range stunning, you could even stay out at Glen Helen

plenty to do in town sunset, sunrise from Anzac Hill, Royal Flying Docs, School of the Air etc

two day trip up to Tenant Creek and the Devils Marbles

many companies do a three day tour from here to the Rock from backpackers to Emu Run to Kings. so lots of different options.

so it really depends on your travel budgets now and in the future.

best of luck with your decision

Hey :D

Busy researching my trip for next year and found you on this thread.... think I may add a few days after Sydney to come and say hi..... ;)

Hey :D

Busy researching my trip for next year and found you on this thread.... think I may add a few days after Sydney to come and say hi..... ;)

Many many Australians have never visited Ayers Rock or Uluru as it is now named but in my opinion the centre of Australia is not to be missed if you have the time & the money to spend at least 3 days exploring the area.

I have been fortunate enough to visit the area twice, both times as part of a 3-week coach tour of the Outback / Centre of Australia starting from Adelaide & finishing in Darwin.

My last visit was more than 20 years ago but I always encourage others to go & experience the Centre. It is a truly unique & I say spiritual experience. My brother has just been there for the first time & he rang me from Alice Springs to say how much he loved it just as I told him he would.

My son was travelling around Australia with his young family for one year recently & thought he wouldn't bother to make the long side trip into the area so started heading north to Darwin instead.

About 2 hours into their drive he remembered my advise to "don't what ever you do miss Ayers Rock & the Centre" so they turned around. He called me after three days there completely overwhelmed & thanked me for my advice as without it he would have missed "the most amazing sights I've ever seen & experienced".

I'm always thrilled when I speak to overseas travellers if they mention that not only have they been on our Great Barrier Reef but that they've also been to or are planning to visit Uluru & the Centre.

Both truly worth-while & certainly deserving to be on the "Bucket List". Both difficult, expensive & time-consuming places to truly enjoy but in my opinion both definite "must dos! You'll forget the expense soon enough but you'll never forget the memories! :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

I live and work here and you will need at least 3 days at the location to see it all. Overnight trips here are literally wasting your money and risking your schedule. The airport is in high demand with Virgin and Jetstar flights from both Melbourne and Sydney on a daily basis as well as the Qantas link Alice Springs/Cairns flight. With the amount of passengers going through that airport you are transferred there from the resort 2 hour before your flight. Hotels are never ready until late afternoon. From the resort itself you are looking at a 50 minute drive to Kata Tjuta and a 20 minute drive to Uluru. Once there you need a few hours to take it in.

If anyone is even considering coming here do not do it unless you are booking 3 nights minimum.

I live and work here and you will need at least 3 days at the location to see it all. Overnight trips here are literally wasting your money and risking your schedule. .....

If anyone is even considering coming here do not do it unless you are booking 3 nights minimum.

Excellent advice. We spent several days at Uluru last fall and I was surprised (and appalled) at the number of folks who were flying in mid-day, watching the sunset over Uluru and then flying out the next day. They didn't visit the cultural center, do any of the cultural walks, didn't visit Kata Tjuta -- just saw the "rock."