Corinto on Easter Sunday

marysb

Looks like we will be docking in Corinto on Easter Sunday. 9-5pm.

Is it likely anything will be open? ....or might there be special festivities?

We hadn't thought of doing an excursion here, as we were just going to wander around a typical, non- touristy Nicaraguan town. Now, I'm thinking an excursion might be a better idea, or even a day at the beach?

Mary

• 2 months later...

We may be on the same cruise, ha eurodam? I just posted on the roll call, according to an expat whose contact I stumbled across thanks to Trip advisor , it will be crazy busy. Not sure what we will do. It's our first cruise. But we are very familiar with Easter crowds and festivities in Latin America.

Looks like we will be docking in Corinto on Easter Sunday. 9-5pm.

Is it likely anything will be open? ....or might there be special festivities?

We hadn't thought of doing an excursion here, as we were just going to wander around a typical, non- touristy Nicaraguan town. Now, I'm thinking an excursion might be a better idea, or even a day at the beach?

Mary

Hi Mary,

We have recently completed the Panama cruise on the Norwegian Jewel & like you, we were also finding it difficult to find a tour other than driving to Leon , which takes up quite a bit of the day and from feedback, it is nothing special.

After much searching I came a cross a tour guide Reynaldo Romero emailed him on corintotour@outlook.com.

We were a group of 6. Plus 2 more joined us from the ship.

We arranged for Reynaldo to take us to the Flor de Cana Rum factory & also we wanted to go to a local kindergarten & bring the children some gifts.

Must admit, we were somewhat apprehensive about doing this.

Reynaldo met us outside the dock area as arranged.

He was very friendly & spoke excellent English. The rum factory tour was fantastic. We were the 1st tour, before the Ship tours arrived. A tour guide from the factory showed us around. We were able to taste aged rum & also see & sample the families private collection of 30 year old rum. Reynaldo took charge of all our cameras & was happy taking photos for us, nothing was too much trouble. Highly recommend this tour.

After the rum factory, we asked Reynaldo to take us to buy some colouring in books & supplies for the teacher.

We had brought some gifts like coloured pencils, rubbers, sharpeners etc with us, but the books would have added too much weight to our luggage.

We were able to buy the books etc at very good prices. Reynaldo helped select supplies for the teacher to use.

As it was a Sunday, the kindergarten was closed, but Reynaldo had arranged for us to meet the children outside the school with the teacher & also the parents. There were 25 absolutely gorgeous wide eyed children, dressed in their Sunday best, waiting for us. The children were delighted with their gifts as was the teacher. It was the most amazing experience to see these happy, very grateful children. We were all very blessed by the experience. This day was an absolute highlight of our cruise.

We would have no hesitation recommending Reynaldo. You do need to let him know exactly what you want to do before you go. Reynaldo has 2 children , so you might like to factor them in if bringing gifts.

Not sure how this is going to work for you on Easter Sunday, but Reynaldo will be able to advise you.

All the best on your cruise, we loved ours.

Cheers

Maria

Wow this is amazing I also stumbled across Reynaldo's name and have received a very prompt response from him. He wants to know what type of tour weare interested in. With your glowing recommendation I will ask for something similar.

Do you recall what price you paid?

Wow this is amazing I also stumbled across Reynaldo's name and have received a very prompt response from him. He wants to know what type of tour weare interested in. With your glowing recommendation I will ask for something similar.

Do you recall what price you paid?

Hi Mary, Reynaldo quoted us $US90 ea for 6 of us then gave us a discount for 8, I think it was $75. This included the entry to the Rum factory & personal photographer 😄

Just tell him you want to do what Maria did.

Enjoy🛥

Reynaldo has indicated he needs 8 people for the rum tour. He has offered an alternative but it seems like way too much driving around. I will post something on the eurodam April 8 roll call to see if a few more are interested. Thanks!!

Robin and bob nichols

Whistler BC.

Hi Mary,

We have recently completed the Panama cruise on the Norwegian Jewel & like you, we were also finding it difficult to find a tour other than driving to Leon , which takes up quite a bit of the day and from feedback, it is nothing special.

I'm truly glad you found a private excursion that you enjoyed so much. But as someone who was also recenlty in Corinto (also on the Jewel, as it happens), and who actually visited León, I wanted to say that I found the Cathedral, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and particularly its fantastic roof, to be quite interesting. I went on a ship's tour, and we did not have enough time there, but I'm glad I got to see the Cathedral.

Just some personal feedback for others who might be visting in the future.

Leon%20Cathedral%201024x683_zpsrajxfpee.jpg

Roof%201%201024x683_zpsm4jaoopa.jpg

Roof%20and%20people%201024x476_zpsyzvzjafn.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

My wife has had recent back surgery so is only up to an "easy" tour.  We are 87 and 89 years old. Our son is also on the Eurodam April 8 Panama Canal cruise with us.  We would be interested in what you come up with re Reynaldo re joining you.  Don't know if there will any Easter Service on the Eurodam?  We are protestant.