Mexican Riviera Weather in December?

country_angel

Your first day or two leaving LA may be cloudy or rainy, and on the cool side (for us, which is in the 50s to 60s). Around Matzalan, it may be in the 80s. On your final sea day, it will probably be cool again.

At least, the only place you may see any snow on your trip out here is in the mountains in the background, if there had been a recent rainstorm in LA.

I did that cruise a few years back for the first week of December. We were all looking to 'escape' the cold as well and wanted to try something other than the Caribbean. I can tell you that you won't have any snow but I will also wish you better weather than we had. It was sunny every day but the day we sailed; which is fine with me. If you have to have one cloudy day on your trip why not the day you sail when you want to run around and look at the ship, etc.? The sun was great but it was only in the low to mid 70's which, when combined with the wind you get on deck, was a bit cool for lying around trying to soak up some rays. We still had a wonderful time and lots of fun but it just wasn't a cruise meant for tanning. When we were in port - thus no wind, the days were great and we managed to find hotels, etc. we could go to for the day and work on getting some color. For all I know we just had 'bad timing' though. Like I said it was a great cruise - just not the warm weather we had hoped for.

Enjoy your trip!

I don't really care about getting a tan. I tend to burn easily so I will need to prepare for that possibility. While some might think weather in the 70's is chilly it will be perfect for me :p

My attitude toward the weather is now..."how bad can it be? you're on a CRUISE!!!"

I did that cruise a few years back for the first week of December. We were all looking to 'escape' the cold as well and wanted to try something other than the Caribbean. I can tell you that you won't have any snow but I will also wish you better weather than we had. It was sunny every day but the day we sailed; which is fine with me. If you have to have one cloudy day on your trip why not the day you sail when you want to run around and look at the ship, etc.? The sun was great but it was only in the low to mid 70's which, when combined with the wind you get on deck, was a bit cool for lying around trying to soak up some rays. We still had a wonderful time and lots of fun but it just wasn't a cruise meant for tanning. When we were in port - thus no wind, the days were great and we managed to find hotels, etc. we could go to for the day and work on getting some color. For all I know we just had 'bad timing' though. Like I said it was a great cruise - just not the warm weather we had hoped for.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm surprised someone from New England would say the 70s was cool. Wouldn't that be a heat spell for you?:D Actually it sounds like a warm day for that time of year here in Southern California.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this post. I'm sailing end of Nov/beginning of Dec and living in Northern England anything above freezing will be great!

Will sit on deck on the sunbed in the low-mid 70's (Nice Summer Weather in the UK) and think of all those shivering back home :)

I'm surprised someone from New England would say the 70s was cool. Wouldn't that be a heat spell for you?:D Actually it sounds like a warm day for that time of year here in Southern California.

That takes me back to our first cruise in February 2000, on the Elation from San Pedro.

We travelled from England and coupled it with visiting British friends who live in LA.

I had convinced my DW that it would be a great sailaway, sipping cocktails and soaking up the sun !!

It wasnt to be , we were wearing windbreakers with hoods up whilst the rain was dropping into our DOD's.

By the time we woke the following morning we had a blue sky and sunshine, which followed us for the rest of the cruise.

I will be going on my first ever cruise in December to the Mexican Riviera. I was hoping that someone here can tell me what weather we might expect. We will be leaving the snow hopefully for a week of sunshine! Thank you :cool:

I have done the Mexican Riviera twice in December. Like you I live in a snow area. (Lake Tahoe) Our average summer temp at Tahoe is in the 80's, This is about what it was in the MR. I found it warm. I met this couple on the cruise from Phoenix and they found it on the cool side.

We've done the Mexican Riviera twice in December also. Both times the first day out was coolish--60's, which seemed cooler because of the breeze, but was still better than December in Nebraska--a lot better! Because of the wind, sitting out in lounge chairs was cool but doable.

All the ports--we had two different itineraries; Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo and Acapulco, Zihuantenejo, Manzanillo---were warm to hot--80-90, except Cabo San Lucas which was low to mid-70's.

We didn't have any rain, but of course that can vary.

The last sea day back was cool again. Those two sea days at the beginning and end of the cruise also tend to be a little rougher, though it wasn't bad.

Just a little tip about Mexico in Dec. While the days are warm and full of sunshine the evenings can be a little on the cool side. So I would bring warm clothes for daytime, and a light jacket or sweater for the evenings. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!:D

Archived