NCL changing fees - Cirque and UDP

schwos

I will say that I am not pleased with NCL or NCL customer service. They do not demonstrate a cruise line focused on Total Customer Experience.

We have our first cruise in lest than 90 days with NCL and I'm already regretting this move from the cruise line that we have enjoyed that works to meet high expectations.

We purchased the Ultimate Dining Package a bit ago and we were told that going to the first day showing of Cirque on the Breakaway would have no uncharged; which I already feel is inappropriate with the UDP; unlike the remaining nights.

We called this week that NCL has again midstream changed their policies and this first night program is no longer valid. Even the NCL agent was surprised and escalated. I ended speaking with a mgr and expect them to call me daily until it is resolved. I'm apparently not the only one surprised by this change. To me this is false advertising and I will pursue it in that manner.

Now it isn't that much, but to me it is the principle. I will be writing a letter of disappointment to NCL.

This is not the first situation in which they changed programs mid way.

NCL website is less the desirable and not as user friendly as RCCL website, IMHO. I'm not saying that RCCL could continue to improve the user experience.

Have others experience the nickel and dining in NCL? I have seen folks within the forums complain of policies changing even in mid cruise.

I will say that I am not pleased with NCL or NCL customer service. They do not demonstrate a cruise line focused on Total Customer Experience.

We have our first cruise in lest than 90 days with NCL and I'm already regretting this move from the cruise line that we have enjoyed that works to meet high expectations.

We purchased the Ultimate Dining Package a bit ago and we were told that going to the first day showing of Cirque on the Breakaway would have no uncharged; which I already feel is inappropriate with the UDP; unlike the remaining nights.

We called this week that NCL has again midstream changed their policies and this first night program is no longer valid. Even the NCL agent was surprised and escalated. I ended speaking with a mgr and expect them to call me daily until it is resolved. I'm apparently not the only one surprised by this change. To me this is false advertising and I will pursue it in that manner.

Now it isn't that much, but to me it is the principle. I will be writing a letter of disappointment to NCL.

This is not the first situation in which they changed programs mid way.

NCL website is less the desirable and not as user friendly as RCCL website, IMHO. I'm not saying that RCCL could continue to improve the user experience.

Have others experience the nickel and dining in NCL? I have seen folks within the forums complain of policies changing even in mid cruise.

This is the first time I've seen the talk of "nickel and diming" in regards to cruising on NCL, but I have to admit....it does seem to be a trend on these boards.

The NCL website is going through some changes. I've always thought it was very user friendly, but lately, I've had trouble finding things, and it is now impossible to get to the "ask and answer" section at all.

So sorry this happened to you and many others. I wish NCL would have sent an email out to everyone letting them know of these changes.

Here is my story about this same problem:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189558

A very nice NCL rep helped me. I am traveling before July so I think that is what finally got things worked out.

This is the first time I've seen the talk of "nickel and diming" in regards to cruising on NCL, but I have to admit....it does seem to be a trend on these boards.

The NCL website is going through some changes. I've always thought it was very user friendly, but lately, I've had trouble finding things, and it is now impossible to get to the "ask and answer" section at all.

http://answers.ncl.com/answers/4066/allquestions.htm

So sorry this happened to you and many others. I wish NCL would have sent an email out to everyone letting them know of these changes.

Here is my story about this same problem:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189558

A very nice NCL rep helped me. I am traveling before July so I think that is what finally got things worked out.

Could you please tell me what you mean when you say "traveling before July" as it related to Cirque. We also have the Cirque included in the UDP. We sail early June. What does this mean for us? Is it still included in the UDP, or no?

Thanks

Edited by mintsugarcube

No company can nickel and dime you, as you have total control over your money. If you want to spend it on something it is your choice and if you don't you don't have to. I personally like that the fares are lower and I can choose what I want to use my money to pay for, instead of it all being lumped into my fare.

BTW, just about every cruise lines has complaints about their website...just check out the Celebrity site.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I would agree I have control of where I spend my money but the point is the following. When customer go on a cruise and you end up having to pay an extra fee; regardless if it's hidden or up front; can turn to a nickel and dime experience.

When I cruise I expect to prepay for everything up front without question so that we can enjoy our vacation without concern of additional fees.

At this point without even cruising on NCL the Total Customer Experience is subpar if not failing.

I have been reading many threads about false advertising, NCL booking staff being misinformed, and just general lake of care.

I don't mind when a set of rules are established up front and clear, but they are not to change after I have signed my contract and paid my full fair.

I have read the NCL changed recently the dining fees for children mid cruise and customers expect a experienced a then all of a sudden they and now experiencing b. That is as well a complete lack of care for the customer experience.

At this point without even cruising the ship I would not go NCL again. We will see as the NCL freestyle dining doesn't draw me as much as others as the other cruise lines have similar offerings if not more.

I would agree I have control of where I spend my money but the point is the following. When customer go on a cruise and you end up having to pay an extra fee; regardless if it's hidden or up front; can turn to a nickel and dime experience.

When I cruise I expect to prepay for everything up front without question so that we can enjoy our vacation without concern of additional fees.

At this point without even cruising on NCL the Total Customer Experience is subpar if not failing.

I have been reading many threads about false advertising, NCL booking staff being misinformed, and just general lake of care.

I don't mind when a set of rules are established up front and clear, but they are not to change after I have signed my contract and paid my full fair.

I have read the NCL changed recently the dining fees for children mid cruise and customers expect a experienced a then all of a sudden they and now experiencing b. That is as well a complete lack of care for the customer experience.

At this point without even cruising the ship I would not go NCL again. We will see as the NCL freestyle dining doesn't draw me as much as others as the other cruise lines have similar offerings if not more.

I would suggest you look at Crystal if you want to pay for everything upfront, they are almost all-inclusive. You will have to, even with them, pay for some additional items, so you might consider them nickel and diming as well, but, even so, they are a wonderful cruise line. Edited by NLH Arizona

No company can nickel and dime you, as you have total control over your money.

If that statement is true, why was I unable to get my unspent OBC back from NCL. I was told I had to wait for the check which would be sent to me in two weeks. It has been more than two weeks and I still don't have it.

That is NOT total control over my money !!!!

I totally agree with this- we recently booked our first cruise
I hope you have a fantastic time. I remember my first cruise and all the excitement I had waiting for the day I boarded the ship. I'm now over 35 cruises and hopefully will have many, many more. Enjoy!

No company can nickel and dime you, as you have total control over your money. If you want to spend it on something it is your choice and if you don't you don't have to. I personally like that the fares are lower and I can choose what I want to use my money to pay for, instead of it all being lumped into my fare.

I totally agree with this- we recently booked our first cruise, and it cost no more (maybe less!) than a land based vacation. I've been dying to try cruising for years but we are currently saving for a house deposit, meaning we can't justify big spends on a holiday. If NCL included everything in the fare and charged no extras then im pretty sure we would be priced out. This way we know that everything we 'need' (the free dining options etc) are included, and if we feel like spending a little more and doing some other stuff then we can.

Maybe you old school cruisers feel 'nickel and dimed', but I certainly don't. I'm just thrilled to be able to go!

I hope you have a fantastic time. I remember my first cruise and all the excitement I had waiting for the day I boarded the ship. I'm now over 35 cruises and hopefully will have many, many more. Enjoy!

Thanks! I actually hit back by accident and it posted before I had finished, I elaborated a little above about why I agree with you :)

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Could you please tell me what you mean when you say "traveling before July" as it related to Cirque. We also have the Cirque included in the UDP. We sail early June. What does this mean for us? Is it still included in the UDP, or no?

Thanks

You should not have a problem. They made the changes for sailings after July 3rd.

It is included in your sailing. I think I took one for the team! It should not happen to anyone sailing before July.

With that being said, I still feel they should honor the Cirque show to anyone who booked the promo under those terms no matter what the date.

Edited by monkeybone

All are missing the point.

It is okay to break up the cost to encourage higher ridership as some may not have interest in dining venues or shoes or vibe for example. This issue is the following:

1. Not able to prepay everything you want up front without hassle. Vibe is not able to be prebook

2. NCL changes their policies and fees after you signed contract increase cost on extra fee items.

Sorry but not a positive total customer experience..

Then mainstream cruising is not for you. Maybe try a more upscale (more expensive) line, or stick with land based all inclusives. The reason why cruising tends to be one of the least expensive vacation options out there is that what you get with your cruise fare are the basics - cabin, some food, basic drinks, most entertainment. Now, where the lines make the big bucks are on the extras - alcohol, gambling, pictures, excursions, specialty dining, gift shop sales, spa services... It's up to consumer if he or she wants a bare bones inexpensive vacation (no specialty dining, cocktails, picture packages, etc.), or maybe go whole hog, and get all of the extras. I think most probably fall somewhere in between (we don't gamble, only do a handful of specialty restaurants, do get the UBP and spa pass, don't book excursions).

Pricing changes, policies change - I can't imagine NCL trying to figure out what each and every policy was when each passenger booked. "Oh, I see you booked on June 23rd - your room service is free, but you are not entitled to Cirque the first night free, but your gratuity on alcoholic beverages is still 15%, not 18%, but your DSC is $12.50." "Oh, and your kids are still half price in specialty restaurants."

I find it interesting that RCCL, Celebrity, and Disney are able to do this but NCL is not. BTW I'm not the only passenger upset about this according to NCL customer support. They are getting many calls about the changes.

I'm completely aware of the process it's the way it's executed folks.

I find it interesting that RCCL, Celebrity, and Disney are able to do this but NCL is not. BTW I'm not the only passenger upset about this according to NCL customer support. They are getting many calls about the changes.

All cruise lines make changes. One example: Celebrity announced on January 28th, that bar servers gratuity went up from 15% to 18%.

Able to do what?

Agreed but it was very public and clearly announced. As well not effective in middle of cruise
So, if NCL would have posted on here 3 days before a cruise, you really think that people would be happy with it. Well you should read the Celebrity site, because people were ticked with that notice.

It doesn't matter when a company announces a change, someone will be upset. If they announced it 90 days in advance, then those that have cruises booked a year away would be complaining. NCL is darned if they do and darned if they don't and BTW, I don't feel they have to give any advance announcements on anything, unless we are required to use or pay for the item, such as the DSC (which, BTW, you can remove or reduce, if you don't want to pay it).

The way I look at it, if one doesn't like the changes (1) they don't have to pay them, no one is forcing anyone to eat in a specialty restaurant, purchase a drink, have a child order off the regular menu, etc., or (2) find another line that makes changes in the way you would like. In other words, you have complete control over where and how you spend your money.

No company can nickel and dime you, as you have total control over your money.

If that statement is true, why was I unable to get my unspent OBC back from NCL. I was told I had to wait for the check which would be sent to me in two weeks. It has been more than two weeks and I still don't have it.

That is NOT total control over my money !!!!

You had control, you just didn't spend enough:D If you did, you wouldn't be waiting for a check:eek:

Agreed but it was very public and clearly announced. As well not effective in middle of cruise

Your cruise is 90 days away, so you are not getting hit with a policy change in the middle of your cruise.

As for your previous comment about not being able to book Vibe ahead of time, I think it's a fair policy. It would be booked solid one year + before the cruise. Now, I always book way in advance (need connecting staterooms), so that would work for me. However, those booking under that one year mark wouldn't be able to book Vibe passes.

You had control, you just didn't spend enough:D If you did, you wouldn't be waiting for a check:eek:

Now --- Why didn't I think of that ???? DARN !!!!! Oh well --- Del Rio said he was going to get more money from all of us. Looks like he did !!!!!

Edited by swedish weave