Where can I tell someone to meet me in Helsinki?

My husband and I are traveling on the Star Princess in August. We hope to meet a friend when we stop in Helsinki. Can someone suggest a good meeting place? Can she meet us at the pier? or is there somewhere else that's good.

Second question - when the ship says it's docking at 8:30a.m. is that Helsinki time? How long should I expect it to take getting off the ship to meet someone?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm fairly new to cruising and appreciate the hints I have read on the board.

Peggy :)

You may want to look on the thread for your sailing to find out where your ship will dock! Many cities have more than one place, since different size ships have to use different piers. The Star is very large, so the place the ferries, or ships like Seabourn Pride, etc. dock may not be where you will. Some cargo ports have very restricted access for security reasons, so it might be hard for your friend to park or get in.

Does your friend know the city of Helsinki better than you do? She may know where it would be convenient for her to meet you. The 8:30 should be local time; most ships post in local time and put in their daily news when to change your watches forward or back. You may go through 3 different zones if you go as far as St. Petersburg from Copenhagen--plus the zones from NY!

Debarkation after the stated arrival time varies, so you might want to use e-mail from the ship if your friend will have easy access to e-mail. Since almost no ships permit visitors aboard anymore, you might want to plan to meet, or go to, someplace for coffee, etc. in case she didn't have time for breakfast.

I'm in Helsinki on Aug 4th, so I'll wish us both good weather!

Happy Crusing

There's an excellent Helsinki map and lots of tourist info in the brochure on their website at http://www.hel2.fi/tourism/en/esitteet_esitteet.asp

I've just spent an hour or so planning my visit using the the HOHO bus or Tram option, for my visit on Wed 19 July.

If you check here: http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/default.asp?docId=13051

you should find where and when your ship docks, then look at the map in the brochure to see how far from the centre. I'm on the Marco Polo and it docks in South Harbour, very close to the Harbour market.

Guest LetMeGo

Hi, and welcome to Helsinki. :D

As the previos link mentioned, the Star Princess always docks in the same spot at the southernmost point of Helsinki. It's just under two miles from the city centre by foot, and easily accessible by public transport bus #16. (Remember that the same 24h bus pass is also valid on the trams and Suomenlinna ferry.)

Your friend can meet you right next to the ship if you like (there are no restrictions, as the ships are practically docked on a public road!) :p

If she is going to be your "tour guide" for the day, it would probably be best if she was at the pier and picked you up.

Another good place for meeting would probably be in front of the Swedish Theatre, where the shuttle buses drop people off.

As the ship is docked on the pier 8:30 (local time), you should be able to walk out after nine even if you're at the back of the line...

Thanks, Cazz and Tero!

I don't know why cruise lines make it so difficult to find out where their ships are going to dock--unless they want passengers to be timid about making their own shore plans? $$$? !

Guest LetMeGo
Thanks, Cazz and Tero!

I don't know why cruise lines make it so difficult to find out where their ships are going to dock--unless they want passengers to be timid about making their own shore plans? $$$? !

You're welcome.

I might be able to help with something else as well, if you have any spesific questions... Just as long as you don't ask for tour guide or driver recommendations. :p

I can pretty much guarantee that cruise lines are being vague on purpose just to sell more excursions. With a city map and browsing internet for a few hours before the trip you could do almost identical city tours for 6€ (the price of a 24h bus pass) per person.

Another spot for meeting (that Star Princess Cruise Director suggested) is at Czarina's Stone at Market Square. Definitely go for city bus line 16 -- a short block away from the pier. This is the beginning and end of the line...to get back to ship, go in Hernesaari direction). The all-day pass is worth it!

We rode the 3T out to Rock Church...then grabbed 3B back to hit Stockmann's and a lunch spot nearby.

Archived