Hotels - book WITH cruiseline OR separalty?

coolerchick

Hey there,

We have finally decided on a cruise and we want to go 2 days before and stay 2 days after.

Booking WITH the cruise is almost an additional 2k - that's a lot of money.

When you guys go - did you book separatly and if so did you get the recommendation of places from your TA?

I want to go with Tauk but their prices including Hotels are really high.

Thanks.

(going to be doing the Rhine cruise)

Hey there,

We have finally decided on a cruise and we want to go 2 days before and stay 2 days after.

When you guys go - did you book separatly and if so did you get the recommendation of places from your TA?

Thanks.

Unless you really are unable to do any research yourself or have another reason to leave it to the package, you'll probably want to book the hotel yourself. You'll likely save a ton of money and likely wind up in a more interesting location. Because of business considerations, cruise lines tend to favor large business hotels. They can be convenient, and in more exotic locations can be very comforting, but we prefer smaller hotels that better reflect the character of the city we're visiting.

For some cruises, there may be a transfer to or from the ship to the hotel involved. I see that you're looking at a Rhine cruise. Assuming Amsterdam is one of the cities involved, there's likely no reason not to handle it yourself. However, on Provence cruises connecting to Barcelona or Danube cruises "from" Prague, you may want to work with the line to see if you can arrange a transfer without the full hotel package (and get to/from the hotel in question if needed).

Hey there,

Thanks.

Unless you really are unable to do any research or have another reason to leave it to the package, you'll probably want to book the hotel yourself. You'll likely save a ton of money and wind up in a more interesting location. Because of business considerations, cruise lines tend to favor large business hotels. They can be convenient, and in more exotic locations can be very comforting, but we prefer smaller hotels that better reflect the character of the city we're visiting.

For some cruises, there may be a transfer to or from the ship to the hotel involved. I see that you're looking at a Rhine cruise. Assuming Amsterdam is one of the cities involved, there's likely no reason not to handle it yourself. However, on Provence cruises connecting to Barcelona or Danube cruises "from" Prague, you may want to work with the line to see if you can arrange a transfer without the full hotel package (and get to/from the hotel in question if needed).

On our recent Viking cruise, we actually got a better deal booking an additional night at the Lisbon hotel than booking it ourselves. For one night, we weren't really keen on the idea of switching hotels. This was a much more expensive hotel than we normally would have stayed at, but in the end, it was really worth it.

At the end of our cruise, we spent an additional night in Porto which we booked ourselves.

We are doing a Rhine cruise next year ending in Amsterdam and will be booking our own hotel for some additional time there.

We always book our own using Trip Advisor.

The cruise line pre- and post-excursions include tours that are not necessarily what we want to do and see nor are hotels we want.

cb

The cruise line pre- and post-excursions include tours that are not necessarily what we want to do and see nor are hotels we want.

cb

Trip advisor is not really a booking agent. Through their site you are directed to a few agencies like expedia, hotel.com etc

For my upcoming trip, I save a lot of $ by booking hotels my self (even used the hotel's own website) compared to what viking wanted.

I usually book a refundable room quite early (usually more $) and then a month before the trip switch it to a non-refundable, advance pay and the rate drops dramatically.

Trip advisor is not really a booking agent. Through their site you are directed to a few agencies like expedia, hotel.com etc

For my upcoming trip, I save a lot of $ by booking hotels my self (even used the hotel's own website) compared to what viking wanted.

I usually book a refundable room quite early (usually more $) and then a month before the trip switch it to a non-refundable, advance pay and the rate drops dramatically.

I will search prices and see what I can get through an agency. Booking directly with the hotel is usually as cheap - or sometimes a bit cheaper. I have - if the cost is more - contacted the hotel and ask if they will match the rate, and usually they will.

On our last trip with Viking, we were going to move hotels as the price for an extra night at Le Meridien was more than we wanted to spend. But - then discovered I could book an extra night on points. So - did the booking - then sent an e-mail asking if I could stay in the same room. It worked out really well.

Fran

I find Trip Advisor to be my top research aid, but I check other sources as well. Key is location. For instance, for a brief stay before a cruise, I'd highly recommend the Mauro Mansion, it's on a canal right across from Centraal Station (airport and trams) and steps from the docks. If I weren't cruising and was spending more time, I'd think more about the Ambassade on the Herengracht, or something in a quieter neighborhood a little more centrally south. (Likewise, generically in a new city, I like to be close to good metro for the day, but walkable to the bars I'll visit at night.)

Sometimes I'll use the reservations feature of TripAdvisor to take advantage of their (sometimes irritatingly pop-up) search of multiple sources to get prices and availabiliy. Usually, however, I'll actually book directly with the hotel. Especially since these smaller hotels often have quite different rooms. I can strike up a relationship and ask for a lower/upper floor or street/courtyard depending on my tolerance for noise or stairs.

If you are flying to your port, sometimes it is cheaper to book the flights and hotels together on Expedia or even some airlines do that too.

I keep hearing that and I'm sure it's true especially in resorts and all-inclusives. However for major cities, I've always gotten a better deal by researching and booking hotels and flights separately and had hotels that are better for my needs (I understand this is totally subjective).

If one is simply looking at rack rates or even standard online pricing of major brand hotels, then a package is probably a good deal. However a blind service like Priceline or Hotwire (using an online bidding advice site) will inevitably yield a rate below the package offering - and alternatively, (my choice) more interesting, smaller hotels which aren't included in the packages will typically be far cheaper booked independently.

...that said, I tend to be selective in my air travel (which limits the packages that can be used) and my credit card gives me rental car status which makes a package deal less of an advantage if that's involved.

Aforementioned poo-poohing aside, Always best to check out all possibilities and angles!

...and a combo will likely make things simpler.

cb

Sorry for the confusion - We don't book hotels with Trip Advisor. We look at the reviews of the hotels on the Trip Advisor website, then usually book via the hotel's own website.

cb

This is the first time we're adding on 2 days ourselves in Munich. There weren't tour extensions and we knew what we wanted to do in Munich. Since Uniworld picks up passangers at the Munich airport, we knew we could easily get back there for the Sunday official arrival date. My husband called U to find out what times they'd be picking up at the the airport so we could just plan our time back, but I guess their packages are very strictly that they pick you up from your arriving flight. When he mentioned what we were doing, they literally told him, "I'll pretend I didn't hear that..." Our TA ended up calling Uniworld to arrange our airport "arrival" time that coincided with a random flight i suppose we could have taken. I don't know if there's some legal reason or why they need to be so strict about this this.

Thanks for all the replies!

Once I book the cruise I will def research on Tripadvisor (and maybe here) and book our own Hotels.

Their Hotels (cruise) are 4-5 star, with meals and tours, I believe. And we really don't need all that until the cruise.

beesKate - I actually read that somewhere else too - that they will only pick up at the airport from "arriving" flights.

At that point, I'm thinking just taking a taxi TO the port ourselves IF it's the same cost as taking a taxi back to the airport. I'm still researching that too though - I read that it's near impossible to find the ship on your own.

I'll probably head back here to get a second opinion on Hotels (can we do that?) before I book.

Coolerchick,

All the above advise is good, you can certainly do better on the hotel than the line's offer. Also KAYAK travel search site can do pretty well at finding good rates.

As far as airport trans is concerened, you didn't say what your port of start and end is going to be, however I have found the taxi/pre booked transfer usually reasonable. That is another research topic for you.

Enjoy your trip. We did 3 Uniworld trips and loved them.

coolerchick - While we stayed at the same hotel, we didn't do the added itinerary. We just did our own thing.

We booked our owns flights and arranged our own transfer.

Did you book the Hotels WITH the cruise line or by yourself?

And did you find it easy to find the boat?

We're booking our own flights too (w/points).

Thanks.

Coolerchick,

All the above advise is good, you can certainly do better on the hotel than the line's offer. Also KAYAK travel search site can do pretty well at finding good rates.

As far as airport trans is concerened, you didn't say what your port of start and end is going to be, however I have found the taxi/pre booked transfer usually reasonable. That is another research topic for you.

Enjoy your trip. We did 3 Uniworld trips and loved them.

Thanks!

I have heard SO many positive things about Uniworld that I'm seriously thinking of booking with them instead (we have until this weekend to make the decision).

Yes, we had Viking book the extra night for us. Of course I compared prices and Viking's price was much better than what I could get on my own. And, because we booked with Viking, we also got breakfast which we wouldn't have if we booked direct.

Our cruise started on land in Lisbon. The entire group was then transferred north to Porto to board the ship.

For our next cruise, we are booking our own flights and will find the ship on our own. Figure it can't be that hard to find!

In your travel documents, they usually include the phone number of the boat. We are going to ask the front desk to call the boat for us and get the docking information. We are hoping that the boat will be docked close to the Chain Bridge so we can walk over - but otherwise we will take a taxi.

At least in Europe the names on the boats are in English.... It would have been a nightmare to try to figure out which boat (of the multiple ones docked in the same place) was "our" boat in Russia!!

Fran

Hey there,

Thanks.

I am booked for the Viking May 9th Rhine Getaway for next year.

Originally, we were going to do our 2 days before in Amsterdam and 3 days after on Lake Geneva through the ship's extension.

After doing my research, I discovered that I could book at the same hotel in Amsterdam as the ship's choice, but get an executive(large upgraded)room for the same money. The cruise port is next door to the hotel, so the "transfer to the port" is rather disingenuous on the part of the cruise line. I did not qualify for the transfer to the hotel as I booked my own airfare.

. For Lake Geneva, I discovered after making some inquiries that the Fairmont Palace in Montreux is reserving "mountainview" rooms(AKA city views-no lake view)standard least expensive rooms. By booking on my own, I have reserved DELUXE LAKEVIEW room( with balcony) for the same money as a standard room through the ship.

That price includes breakfast and VAT.

But it is at a cost. I have to provide my own transfer to Montreux from Basel and lose a tour on one day of our stay in Montreux.

Viking says a taxi which they can arrange for me is approximately 330 euros.

So, it is costing me that amount to secure a beautiful, balconied lakeview room. So I am actually paying about a $100 a night to be able to look out on beautiful Lake Geneva and enjoy it from my large balcony and my beautiful large deluxe room. instead of a small room with no view. In place of the tour I lose I will take a steamer cruise on the lake

that visits all of the same towns plus others that Viking would have provided.

I would have gone on the cruiser anyway so no extra cost there.

And the ship would not have taken me to Geneva airport anyway, since I did not book air with them.

For us, I feel I will probably never be back here any time soon. To stay at a hotel on beautiful Lake Geneva and not be able to see it from my room was a decision that I did not want to make.

Of course, it is costing me more, but for us it was worth it.

Just know you have options.

You could also book your own room and save money on the same room they were going to give you.

Eiither way, just realize that the cruise line is making money on everything extra they book for you!:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Robin

I did not qualify for the transfer to the hotel as I booked my own airfare.

Either way, just realize that the cruise line is making money on everything extra they book for you!

No problem for the transfer from Schiphol Airport to the hotel. If your hotel is next to the dock, it is also a very short walk from Centraal Station. There are regular, convenient train connections direct from the airport to the train station.

...as for the extra charges - Yes. However, there's nothing wrong with that, nor should it be surprising.

In any event, glad to hear that you did so well by making your own arrangements.

Archived