Pacific Sun in Drydock & New Cruise Terminal

Skyrules

Thanks for posting those Kym.

Looks like you had a nice day in Brisbane than we did here in Sydney.

Karen

It was quite cool down by the river, but the promised, and much anticipated, rain never eventuated.

thanks for the pics Kym. does anyone know when its leaving Brisbane? perhaps someone could get some shots/video of it leaving dry dock.

Unfortunately the Port of Brisbane website only shows ship movements for 3 days, basically yesterday, today and tomorrow, so you don't really get much advance warning. Her next departure from Sydney is Tues 25th July, so we predict Sun will leave Brisbane late next Sunday to arrive in Sydney Tuesday morning ready to take on passengers.

She may well leave the dry dock before then and tie up to the finishing wharf in the river - depending on what work still needs to be done. I'll keep an eye out and if possible get down there.

Kym

Please can somebody tell me why it is in dry dock? On your page you said it had a "logoless" funnel, is it getting the P&O star put on just like the pacific Sky did? It says Pacific Sun at the moment doesn't it? it has the star shown on the ships funnel in the brochures and promotional material though... :eek:

Please can somebody tell me why it is in dry dock? On your page you said it had a "logoless" funnel, is it getting the P&O star put on just like the pacific Sky did? It says Pacific Sun at the moment doesn't it? it has the star shown on the ships funnel in the brochures and promotional material though... :eek:

She'll be in dry dock for a service - it's the first time Sun has been out of service since arriving in Australia in late 2004 - so it will be time for routine maintainence etc.

Yes, the new funnel logo will be the same one applied to Pacific Sky last year when she was in drydock following her unfortunate breakdowns, and which Star receieved when she was refitted for entry into the Australian market. The example below is the one on Pacific Star.

787103733_100_0308resize.JPG.cc059e851d8aaf38222bc62fa9aa71f0.JPG

Nice pics, Kym!

Do you think the terminal will be ready for Pacific Star's next Brisbane cruise next month?

No, I don't think so.... It certainly didn't look that finished - but at least now you can make out what it's going to look like. The observation platform (if that's what it is) will make a good vantage point for looking at ships in the Cairncross Drydock, so if the Regal Princess/Pacific Dawn conversion happens there - as we suspect it might - we should be able to get some good shots of her.

Regarding the opening - Trevor, from Rockhampton, is cruising on the first cruise after arrival back from Auckland and he said that when he got his tickets it said he was going from Pinkenba.

SkyRules, will you be getting some more shots of the Pacific Sun while she is in Brisbane? On the Pacific Star, the logo is actually an object isn't it? Whereas the Sky's funnel wasn't it was just a paint job right?

Can you tell me if something is going on or just being painted?

SkyRules, will you be getting some more shots of the Pacific Sun while she is in Brisbane? On the Pacific Star, the logo is actually an object isn't it? Whereas the Sky's funnel wasn't it was just a paint job right?

Can you tell me if something is going on or just being painted?

Sorry Whytey probably won't get a chance to get back down there before Sun leaves to go back to Sydney.

Sky used to have the painted funnel logo, with the name, but when she was in dry dock in Brisbane in May and June last year, she came out with the new raised logo, the same as the one Star carries. See the photo below, taken on one of Sky's last departures from Brisbane in October 2005. Because Star's funnel is straight up and down it stands out a little bit more than on Sky's. (Compare the photo below with the one in my earlier post).

236139847_PacificSkyLogo.jpg.c51d86c5bf78f4213dbfa25a61e2de21.jpg

There was definetly more work going on Pacific Sun than just a paint job - and they seemed to be working hard at it - even on Sunday when we were down there.

Sorry Whytey probably won't get a chance to get back down there before Sun leaves to go back to Sydney.

Sky used to have the painted funnel logo, with the name, but when she was in dry dock in Brisbane in May and June last year, she came out with the new raised logo, the same as the one Star carries. See the photo below, taken on one of Sky's last departures from Brisbane in October 2005. Because Star's funnel is straight up and down it stands out a little bit more than on Sky's. (Compare the photo below with the one in my earlier post).

[ATTACH]25394[/ATTACH]

There was definetly more work going on Pacific Sun than just a paint job - and they seemed to be working hard at it - even on Sunday when we were down there.

Hi Skyrules, thanks again for that. I actually went on the Sky in October last year for a Queensland cruise. Weather was unbelievable, I enjoyed it. I am glad to be a Queenslander! We will be going on the Sun in October again this year! Yay. One more question for you - When does the Sun leave to go back to Sydney? Cheers!

Hi Skyrules, thanks again for that. I actually went on the Sky in October last year for a Queensland cruise. Weather was unbelievable, I enjoyed it. I am glad to be a Queenslander! We will be going on the Sun in October again this year! Yay. One more question for you - When does the Sun leave to go back to Sydney? Cheers!

Don't know, unfortunately the Brisbane Ports websites shows only movements for the current day, the day before and the day after - so at the moment you can only see movements for Wed/Thurs/Fri. Best guess is that she'll leave on Sunday afternoon/evening to arrive in Sydney on Tuesday morning.

The photo of Sky that I cut that funnel shot from was taken on 8th October 2005 - was that the day you left on her??

I went on Sky in November 2004 - my first cruise and I loved it. 7 months later we went on Sun, and then 9 months later we went on Star, and my partner had previously done 2 cruises on Fair Princess and one on Pacific Sky - so it would be fair to say we like cruising I think!

.......Best guess is that she'll leave on Sunday afternoon/evening to arrive in Sydney on Tuesday morning.

The Sydney ports website shows her as arriving on Tuesday morning so I think Kym will be right in saying that she will leave Brisbane on Sunday afternoon. Hope the cam is working by then.

Karen

Don't know, unfortunately the Brisbane Ports websites shows only movements for the current day, the day before and the day after - so at the moment you can only see movements for Wed/Thurs/Fri. Best guess is that she'll leave on Sunday afternoon/evening to arrive in Sydney on Tuesday morning.

The photo of Sky that I cut that funnel shot from was taken on 8th October 2005 - was that the day you left on her??

I went on Sky in November 2004 - my first cruise and I loved it. 7 months later we went on Sun, and then 9 months later we went on Star, and my partner had previously done 2 cruises on Fair Princess and one on Pacific Sky - so it would be fair to say we like cruising I think!

I went on the 7th october one to Tropical Queensland!!

I went on the Sky's 7 night Tropical Queensland cruise on 1st October, 2005. My first cruise too and I loved it. Parent's have been on a few before me though. Got mixed up with the dates then thinking it was the 7th that I went. I came back on the 8th. It is the Pacific Star that leaves for Queensland on October 7th, 2006.

Besides, we're all going on the Sun in October.

I went on the Sky's 7 night Tropical Queensland cruise on 1st October, 2005. My first cruise too and I loved it. Parent's have been on a few before me though. Got mixed up with the dates then thinking it was the 7th that I went. I came back on the 8th. It is the Pacific Star that leaves for Queensland on October 7th, 2006.

Besides, we're all going on the Sun in October.

Ah, so you weren't on the one I took the photo of then.

Brisbane Port's website is showing that Sun will be moving from Cairncross Dry Dock to Sea bound for Sydney at 8pm tonight. So unfortunately I won't be able to get any photo's of her leaving dry dock as it will be a bit too dark.

I've added a couple of new photos to the Pacific Sun in Drydock album on my webshots page

http://community.webshots.com/user/skyrules2005

One shot of Sun's new funnel logo, and another wider shot, from a different angle, of the ship in dry dock.

Kym

Hi Skyrules,

Thanks for taking some more photos of the Pacific Sun in Drydock and the new cruise terminal. I'm sure it will be better to see it in person!

Archived