Too Much/Not Enough

KerCar

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but I thought this would be a fun idea for a thread:

Was there anything you packed for your children and ended up not needing or had too much of???

And

What was the one thing you wish you had packed or brought more of???

I look forward to everyone's answers:)

Too many shoes! OMGosh...I swear I packed 7 pairs per child for a 4 day cruise. :eek:

Not enough warmer clothes like sweaters, long shirts or pants. After dinner I like to change the kids into something comfortable to go to the kids club in. Well you can't put them in shorts cause the A/C is just too cold at night to have them wearing shorts and t-shirts. So I ALWAYS forget to pack more long sleeves. :rolleyes:

Thanks for getting the ball rolling!!!!!

I was planning on packing sweaters for the dining areas, but would have never thought about long sleeve shirts and pants for play. Thanks for the tip:)

What type of PJ's does everyone bring for the kiddies (lightweight, blanket sleeper, etc)???

Too many shoes! OMGosh...I swear I packed 7 pairs per child for a 4 day cruise. :eek:

Not enough warmer clothes like sweaters, long shirts or pants. After dinner I like to change the kids into something comfortable to go to the kids club in. Well you can't put them in shorts cause the A/C is just too cold at night to have them wearing shorts and t-shirts. So I ALWAYS forget to pack more long sleeves. :rolleyes:

was this on a western caribbean cruise? I would never think of that I am thinking sandles and swim suits. Thank you! Will do.:D

was this on a western caribbean cruise? I would never think of that I am thinking sandles and swim suits. Thank you! Will do.:D

ALL of them are cold at night in the Carribean. We are leaving for Western Carib in 50 days (but who's counting...lol) and long pants/long sleeves are going with us.

Think of it this way. At night, especially at formal night, some men are dressed in tuxedos and they drop the A/C for them to be comfortable which is FREEZING to little girls in dresses. ;)

Now I am not talking outside the ship on the deck. It is obviously still warm at night in the Carribean. But if your children are like mine and hang out at the kid's club, then take some long sleeves.

And as far as the PJ question. That is the other mistake I always make. I always take these little flimsy short outfits that would be perfect at our home in the Summer. But once again, when there is AC blowing on the kids all night long, they complain that they are cold. So I am taking some lighter pants PJs to sleep in.

We have cut way back on the shoes.

My kids live in the pool and tend to spend much of their day in swimsuits. So for our son we pack quite a few swim trunks with t-shirts to match. That way he is ready for the pool or beach quick. And trunks are much lighter and smaller to pack than shorts. He takes a few pairs of shorts as well. Daughter takes several suits (hates pulling on wet or damp ones) and a few different sundresses to pull over. This takes care of our daytime wear.

We find that they truly only wear their flipflops or pool type shoes and then a pair of nice shoes for dressing up for dinner. I do have them wear their tennis shoes on the plane so they have them if we know we will be doing a lot of walking that day. Sometimes they wear them, sometimes they don't.

My kids also take tons of showers. One in the morning and always after swimming/before dinner idea. So we tend to run low on underwear and pack several extra nowadays.

DS sleeps in boxers and a t-shirt and dd sleeps in a lightweight nightgown. We set the AC at a comfortable sleeping temp and they have a blanket on their bed if they need it.

Mine live in shorts year round (we're in California) even in the rain or "colder" temps. So we pack one sweatshirt, one long sleeve shirt, and a pair of leggings or jeans. (If we are flying they tend to wear these on the plane...)

We match up 2 shirts per shorts/skorts. As they tend to get their shirts dirty or spill on them. And the bottoms can be worn a second day if needed since they don't usually wear them for long. We also cruise for close to 2 weeks each time so we have to cut back somewhere!

When dd was little we took a different dress for every night... that has changed! She now takes one or two really nice things (acceptable for formal night and other nights) and then she has some things she can wear to dinner for smart casual or whatever one night and then wear around the ship the following day (cute skort with matching top, etc.).

DS takes 2 pairs of dress slacks (usually black and blue so they hide spills if they happen) and 3 dress shirts to alternate. 3 pairs of dress socks and again, he wears them no more than 2 hours at a time and takes them off to wear again.

My son is 13 and daughter is almost 11. They have cruised 8 times each.

Think of it this way. At night, especially at formal night, some men are dressed in tuxedos and they drop the A/C for them to be comfortable which is FREEZING to little girls in dresses. ;)

I love to read your posts, they are always so informative!! I was wondering if you would be willing to post any pics of your kids dressed for formal nights, if you take them. I am having a hard time convincing my 7 yer-old that there will be other kids dressed up, so maybe if he saw a pic of some other kids he would believe that they do dress up. We are planning a trip in August, can't wait! If you aren't comfortable posting pics of your kids, I certainly undersand(::)

I love to read your posts, they are always so informative!! I was wondering if you would be willing to post any pics of your kids dressed for formal nights, if you take them. I am having a hard time convincing my 7 yer-old that there will be other kids dressed up, so maybe if he saw a pic of some other kids he would believe that they do dress up. We are planning a trip in August, can't wait! If you aren't comfortable posting pics of your kids, I certainly undersand(::)

Yeah but the difference is I have a 7 year old GIRL who loves to dress up, so no problems convincing her. ;)

Here is the full size picture that you see in my avatar...it's from Carnival Elation

Cruise-06.jpg

And the girls together.

Cruise-06MoGab.jpg

For some reason I don't have any other pictures of them in their dresses the rest of the week. I guess I was just too busy having fun...lol.

Thank-you, crusinmama06 for posting those pics of your daughters, they are adorable!!! This will thrill my 10 year-old daughter, I will keep working on my son(:

Oh well then this might thrill your 10 year old too...lol...I was showing my online mom's group (who will be going with me in August) the clothes for my 7 year old for the next cruise in April. I started buying clothes for her and this is where we are now. :eek: I think I have an addiction that I need to work on. ;) Yes, there are SEVEN swim suits. You wanna talk about over packing?

IMG_0379.jpg

ALL of them are cold at night in the Carribean. We are leaving for Western Carib in 50 days (but who's counting...lol) and long pants/long sleeves are going with us.

Now I am not talking outside the ship on the deck. It is obviously still warm at night in the Carribean. But if your children are like mine and hang out at the kid's club, then take some long sleeves.

Thank you I would have never thought about it we were only going to each take one sweater and pair of pants. You are wonderful that you. I also get very cold.

My kids live in the pool and tend to spend much of their day in swimsuits. So for our son we pack quite a few swim trunks with t-shirts to match.

We find that they truly only wear their flipflops or pool type shoes and then a pair of nice shoes for dressing up for dinner. I do have them wear their tennis shoes on the plane so they have them if we know we will be doing a lot of walking that day. Sometimes they wear them, sometimes they don't.

We match up 2 shirts per shorts/skorts. As they tend to get their shirts dirty or spill on them. And the bottoms can be worn a second day if needed since they don't usually wear them for long. We also cruise for close to 2 weeks each time so we have to cut back somewhere!

When dd was little we took a different dress for every night... that has changed! She now takes one or two really nice things (acceptable for formal night and other nights) and then she has some things she can wear to dinner for smart casual or whatever one night and then wear around the ship the following day (cute skort with matching top, etc.).

-------------------------

So it is ok to wear your flip flops on at dinner I was wondering that. We are doing the same kid of thing about wearing the heavy stuff on the air plane tennis shoes t -shirt and sweater hat sunglasses jeans. Tennis shoes take up a lot of space in the suitcases four pairs is almost one suitcase.

My son is like yours he gets so dirty I am going to have to pack two shirts for each day.

We are going to in the day wear swim suit and flip flops and at night after reading above thread sweater jeans and tennis shoes.

DD has cute flipflops that seem more like sandals. And she does take a pair of dress sandals/shoes for certain outfits. We do leave the tights at home these days (she is almost 11 now...).

DS will take a pair of dress shoes (black) if he has them. Otherwise we do an all black pair of tennis shoes that he will actually wear again. He likes to have his regular tennis shoes for basketball as well. So he wears those.

Thankfully we always do 2 cabins! Can't imagine being in a cabin with all their stuff and all our stuff too!!!! Dh is a gym nut and brings multiple shoes as well.... LOL Not to mention double the clothes since he wears them to the gym. At least those are very lightweight.... And he NEVER grumbles if I pack too much.

Our next two cruises are on Princess and they have public washer/dryers for our use. Not sure if I will pack with that in mind for the next cruise - Mexico 11 night in JUST THREE WEEKS!!!!! But for Alaska in July (10 nights, I think) I will likely plan to use it. We did Alaska a few years ago and it is hard packing for both types of weather. Thankfully we had gorgeous, warm, sometimes even hot, weather, but we could have ended up with rain and/or cold and so I want to pack for that too..... Adds up to way too many clothes and a JACKET to boot! LOL We never even wore our jackets last time... praying for more of the same this summer!

My kids live in the pool and tend to spend much of their day in swimsuits. So for our son we pack quite a few swim trunks with t-shirts to match. That way he is ready for the pool or beach quick. And trunks are much lighter and smaller to pack than shorts. He takes a few pairs of shorts as well. Daughter takes several suits (hates pulling on wet or damp ones) and a few different sundresses to pull over. This takes care of our daytime wear.

My kids also take tons of showers. One in the morning and always after swimming/before dinner idea. So we tend to run low on underwear and pack several extra nowadays.

DS sleeps in boxers and a t-shirt and dd sleeps in a lightweight nightgown. We set the AC at a comfortable sleeping temp and they have a blanket on their bed if they need it.

Mine live in shorts year round (we're in California) even in the rain or "colder" temps. So we pack one sweatshirt, one long sleeve shirt, and a pair of leggings or jeans. (If we are flying they tend to wear these on the plane...)

DS takes 2 pairs of dress slacks (usually black and blue so they hide spills if they happen) and 3 dress shirts to alternate. 3 pairs of dress socks and again, he wears them no more than 2 hours at a time and takes them off to wear again.

My son is 13 and daughter is almost 11. They have cruised 8 times each.

Thanks for this!!!! Great info:)

No problem, OP. One thing to remember is that with kids they don't tend to wear their clothes for too long - especially if they are in the pool/water. So if they pull on their shorts over their suit (or pull on a sundress over their suit), they have breakfast, and then are at the pool. Guess where the clothes go? Mine each carry a very lightweight backpack (like nylon) and they are responsible for their own sunscreen face stick and their clothes. Between them they also carry one bottle of spray on - NO RUB - sunscreen! This will be the most important item you pack! It dries quick and you don't have to worry about rubbing it in and then needing to wash your hands.

Same with the dress up stuff. First few cruises when dd was tiny and so adorable to dress up we took a different dress for dinner each night. And multiple shoes to match each of them. Now we try to plan a few outfits she can wear multiple times and find one pair of shoes that match them all. But in reality they don't wear them for long and then they can wear them another night a few days down the road...

one bottle of spray on - NO RUB - sunscreen! This will be the most important item you pack! It dries quick and you don't have to worry about rubbing it in and then needing to wash your hands

Great! Thank you I do not like that stuff on my hands.:mad: Spray on perfect:D

one bottle of spray on - NO RUB - sunscreen! This will be the most important item you pack! It dries quick and you don't have to worry about rubbing it in and then needing to wash your hands

Great! Thank you I do not like that stuff on my hands.:mad: Spray on perfect:D

Just be careful with the no ruib sunscreen. My kids don't have fair skin, so they don't burn. But I noticed them getting considerably tanner with the no rub sunscreen then with the zinc blocks like NO AD and Banana Boat. So if you have fair skinned children, stick with the zinc blocks.

DD likes to draw and journal - so lots of paper, pencils, colored pencils, AND a pencil sharpener are always required. On our last cruise when she had some homework to do, she had forgotten a notebook, so she turned in her social studies paper on her sketchpad paper (a rather odd shape and size).

I never seem to pack enough snacks for the trip to the port and for the first bit on board (when not everything is open).

If you are travelling on RCCI (or other lines that have really LONG debarking procedures when you are forced from your cabin) - stuff to entertain the kids and adults while waiting for your color to be called. I've taken to packing (among other things) some pingpong balls and golf balls. Both seem to be in VERY short supply during debarkation, but the upper deck areas are practically deserted so mini-golf and/or ping pong are great options.

Just be careful with the no ruib sunscreen. My kids don't have fair skin, so they don't burn. But I noticed them getting considerably tanner with the no rub sunscreen then with the zinc blocks like NO AD and Banana Boat. So if you have fair skinned children, stick with the zinc blocks.

DD and I are both very fair (me more so than her -- my college roommate claimed I was so fair skinned that I glowed in the dark!). The spray-ons can be effective but must be reapplied more often - and religiously after getting wet.

I do childcare and with a face stick for faces, we have been using only the rub free spray on ones. With lots of luck.... lol When you have up to 8 kids to sunscreen and then my own two older ones to be sure they did a good job, I would rather be quick and apply sooner than to rub it in on each of them. The sprays have improved over the last few years as well. And have varying SPFs so be sure to check that too! One of my dc mom's of the fairest of all children brought me a bottle that was SPF 15. Give me a break! LOL

Archived