Cunard dress code

cruiser69420

To the person who said that I am stupid... I am not stupid, why the hell would I bring anything other than shorts and t-shirts to Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, UK and France for the summer months.. Being from Canada I've yet to wear my one long sleeve shirt in the last 3months.

I served in the Navy for 4 years and we had less strict dress codes than Cunard, I just find it funny that if you dont abide by the dress code youre stuck in your stateroom.

£39 is almost $70+ Canadian, can't justify paying that(yes we're that broke).

Until we go back to our normal 9-5 working life we are minimalist.

It's sad to see how many people who've against indivuals who exhausted their savings.

Just because you're cruising doesn't mean you have tons of money.

When I first booked the cruise we just thought it would be nice to cruise back via a transatlantic. The cruise was a tad bit more expensive than a flight home at the time so we opted for the cruise.

Yes we didn't budget our trip properly, we overindulged in Spain and Portugal with all the delicious Tapas and sight seeing and such.

I just wanted to enjoy our trip back home and I find it silly that Cunard doesn't offer free suit rentals for whom who can't afford it, they just have the presumption, and so do you guys, that ever cruiser has money.

I'm just trying to enjoy the cruise just as much as you are, sorry if I can't dress up and it offends you.

If you're not in the UK yet you probably will be needing your long sleeved shirt soon.

I'm sorry if you haven't felt very welcomed to the Cunard board but the tone of your posts suggests that you think those of us who enjoy dressing up are "silly" and playing the "dressing up game". In fact we have researched before we spent our money and are happy to comply with the dress code requirements.

For that reason we can't really tell you what will happen because we haven't tried it.

If your enquiry is a serious one, please refrain from using inflammatory language and you will have a better chance of getting some sensible answers.

I am genuinely interested in hearing what happens so we can give better advice to the next poster who wants to cross casually.

If you're not in the UK yet you probably will be needing your long sleeved shirt soon.

I'm sorry if you haven't felt very welcomed to the Cunard board but the tone of your posts suggests that you think those of us who enjoy dressing up are "silly" and playing the "dressing up game". In fact we have researched before we spent our money and are happy to comply with the dress code requirements.

For that reason we can't really tell you what will happen because we haven't tried it.

If your enquiry is a serious one, please refrain from using inflammatory language and you will have a better chance of getting some sensible answers.

I am genuinely interested in hearing what happens so we can give better advice to the next poster who wants to cross casually.

Hattie; if I may use your millinery name, you have missed out the word dress in the last sentence; surely it should read "who wants to cross dress casually" That makes sense.

Kind Regards John

Edited by john watson

I'll certainly let you know what happens.

I'll concontrate on hanging out at the gym and pool all evening, might order room service every night.

I'll gladly accept a donation of a used suit if you don't need it anymore, I'm 5'11" and around 200lbs.

I made the error of thinking that all cruise ships were the same and I wasn't aware of the dress code.

While growing up the only time you heard of anyone dressing up is for a wedding or funeral, I've never attended either.

I'll stick to NCL & Carnival for any of our future Cruises as they are more geared towards individuals from my generation.

Edited by cruiser69420

Hi cruiser69420,

I see you're new to Cruise Critic based on your number of posts, so a welcome is in order.

I've learned so much from these forums, including which cruise lines are best for us along with so many other helpful tips. I'm sure it will be the same in your case too.

We've gravitated to Cunard because we've learned that they provide the best classic cruise experience of any that are available. That includes the formality of dressing for dinner on ships brimming with so much legacy and tradition.

Are you past last your last payment date? If not perhaps you could cancel and re-book on another line that is more to your taste.

Good luck in finding a cruise that suits you (no pun intended).

Edited by rolfecms

I'll certainly let you know what happens. ...

Please do. I'll bet you a nickel that you actually enjoy your crossing, in spite of what you now expect.

While growing up the only time you heard of anyone dressing up is for a wedding or funeral, I've never attended either.

Well, of course, how you dress for your wedding will be up to you; and you may leave strict instructions about how your corpse is to be attired. Happily, Cunard doesn't do funerals; sadly, they do do weddings.

P.S. Nicely edited, HH.

To the person who said that I am stupid... I am not stupid, why the hell would I bring anything other than shorts and t-shirts to Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, UK and France for the summer months.. Being from Canada I've yet to wear my one long sleeve shirt in the last 3months.

I served in the Navy for 4 years and we had less strict dress codes than Cunard, I just find it funny that if you dont abide by the dress code youre stuck in your stateroom.

It's sad to see how many people who've against indivuals who exhausted their savings.

When I first booked the cruise we just thought it would be nice to cruise back via a transatlantic. The cruise was a tad bit more expensive than a flight home at the time so we opted for the cruise.

Yes we didn't budget our trip properly, we overindulged in Spain and Portugal with all the delicious Tapas and sight seeing and such.

I just wanted to enjoy our trip back home and I find it silly that Cunard doesn't offer free suit rentals for whom who can't afford it, they just have the presumption, and so do you guys, that ever cruiser has money.

I'm just trying to enjoy the cruise just as much as you are, sorry if I can't dress up and it offends you.

The dresscodes are WELL explained in the brochure. You are expected to follow them to some degree. Although I do bring a tux when on Cunard(but not when on other lines)You should at least bring a few khakis or dress pants, nice shoes,nice collared shirts & at least a sport coat(blazer)& a few ties. This will at least meet the requirement. If you don't wear at least a sport coat & tie on formal nigh, you might be told to dine in your room or at the buffet. Shorts & t shirts(decent ones) are ok at breakfast & lunch. They are also fine for lounging around the ship in the day. At night is when pax are expected to dressup. The A/C is fine, so you won't be roasting. Most of us aren't rich, either. We just know what we are planning on doing on a cruise.

...I served in the Navy for 4 years and we had less strict dress codes than Cunard, I just find it funny that if you dont abide by the dress code youre stuck in your stateroom. .

You started some threads before as I recall the statement "stuck" or "locked" in your stateroom.

When you were in the Navy were there not occasions that called for dress uniforms? Was it OK to show up in a work uniform on those occasions? Less complicated than Cunard? Military uniforms the world over have one thing in common - complex regulations on type for the occasion and how to wear specific insignia.

Who books a stay anywhere for 7-8 days (and knowing you can't check out the next day of you don't like it) without doing some basic research on the accommodations and amenities? You remind me of a passenger who complained about the number of sea days because "nobody told him".

You're pleading poverty and lack of planning as an excuse for your refusal to honor the expected dress code. I'm not buying it. You put a lot of planning into a multiple-itinerary trip.

I guess the Canadian navy has really changed - it must be nice to wear what you want when you want - and never have to learn to comply with policies or traditions which do not suit your fancy.

Nobody has suggested that you will be "stuck in your stateroom".

It would be interesting to hear details of your travels throughout Europe - including dates.

That's a pretty funny post. Now c'mon, you're just messing with us, right?....Right? :eek:

Well, members here have told you what the dresscode is on the ship.

If you want to dress causally - you limit yourself to King's Court buffet, the wintergarden and your own stateroom after 18:00 - which is a shame - for you because you are missing out many really nice experiences.

So is the reason for your persistence to ask

a) how the dresscode really is

b) what happens if you intentionally are breaking the dresscode?

Additional info:

You will be subject to an automatic service charge of US$ 11,50 pP per night - if you are waiving these , basically a large part of the crew are working for free for you.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Why is it so difficult to understand that I didn't know you had to dress up every night after 6pm just to walk around the ship, I thought like any other ship, you can wear what you want outside the dinning areas. I only read about 3 weeks ago that there is a dress code for the ENTIRE ship, I called my travel agent asap to ask if I can do a refund and she said that I'd lose 100% if I cancel.

What a way to be disrespectful,

"You and your fiancee can't afford dress wear? You're not a human anymore and can't enjoy your trip"

Thanks for not understanding my situation.

I'm going to go about my business and if someone wants to be rude so be it, I'm not going to sink to their level. If they want to be rude to two individuals who can't afford dresswear then so

be it.

We were raised to not comment or make fun of the unfortunate kids at school who couldn't afford clothes ( I was one of those kids ).

Edited by cruiser69420

Why is it so difficult to understand that I didn't know you had to dress up every night after 6pm just to walk around the ship, I thought like any other ship, you can wear what you want outside the dinning areas. I only read about 3 weeks ago that there is a dress code for the ENTIRE ship, I called my travel agent asap to ask if I can do a refund and she said that I'd lose 100% if I cancel.

"You and your fiancee can't afford dress wear? You're not a human anymore and can't enjoy your trip"

Hi cruiser69420

As I read it, and I apologise for being direct, but as I understand it, this is a situation of your own making.

A little research before handing over large sums of money... You say that you thought that all cruise ships were the same.

Are all cars the same? (etc)

As has often been mentioned here previously, booking Cunard and complaining about the dress-code is similar to booking Disney Line and then complaining about the number of children on board. Or booking Aida and complaining that all the announcements and signs are in German, or Costa and the number of Italians on board.

Clearly and obviously, all cruise ships are not the same (or there would only be one cruise line catering for everyone).

People are not all the same, we have different likes and dislikes. One size does not fit all.

But, to end on a positive note. You can still really enjoy your crossing, dressed casually night and day, making the most of what the ship offers.

During the day almost all of the ship is open to you.

Breakfast and lunch (free) can be enjoyed in the main Britannia Restaurant (you should try the Golden Lion pub for lunch (free) at least once) or Kings Court (also free).

For no charge you can enjoy the superb lectures, Planetarium, Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room (free), Winter Garden lounge, Commodore Club, Chart Room, Sir Samuels, gym, pools (both indoor and outdoor), hot tubs, the Bridge viewing gallery, trivia quizzes, & the many day-time activities organised on board. You'll have a splendid time I'm sure (and I haven't mentioned the sheer pleasure of simply walking the open decks and promenade). You'll never be bored or in want of something to do.

And after 1800, for dinner either use the (free) buffet or order (free) room service (the menu is a little restrictive, so add variety with occasional visits to the buffet is my tip). Drinks (chargeable) can also be had via room service. Then settle back in the comfort of your cabin for an evening reading, or watching a movie on TV, splendid. You could view all your photographs taken in Europe to re-live some happy memories from your holiday.

Hope this helps, have a wonderful time on board :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi cruiser69420

As I read it, and I apologise for being direct, but as I understand it, this is a situation of your own making.

A little research before handing over large sums of money... You say that you thought that all cruise ships were the same.

Are all cars the same? (etc)

As has often been mentioned here previously, booking Cunard and complaining about the dress-code is similar to booking Disney Line and then complaining about the number of children on board. Or booking Aida and complaining that all the announcements and signs are in German, or Costa and the large number of Italians on board.

Clearly and obviously, all cruise ships are not the same (or there would only be one cruise line catering for everyone).

People are not all the same, we have different likes and dislikes. One size does not fit all.

But, to end on a positive note. You can still really enjoy your crossing, dressed casually night and day, making the most of what the ship offers.

During the day almost all of the ship is open to you.

Breakfast and lunch (free) can be enjoyed in the main Britannia Restaurant (you should try the Golden Lion pub for lunch (free) at least once) or Kings Court (also free).

For no charge you can enjoy the superb lectures, Planetarium, Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room (free), Winter Garden lounge, Commodore Club, Chart Room, Sir Samuels, gym, pools (both indoor and outdoor), hot tubs, the Bridge viewing gallery, trivia quizzes, & the many day-time activities organised on board. You'll have a splendid time I'm sure (and I haven't mentioned the sheer pleasure of simply walking the open decks and promenade). You'll never be bored or in want of something to do.

And after 1800, for dinner either use the (free) buffet or order (free) room service (the menu is a little restrictive, so add variety with occasional visits to the buffet is my tip). Drinks (chargeable) can also be had via room service. Then settle back in the comfort of your cabin for an evening reading, or watching a movie on TV, splendid. You could view all your photographs taken in Europe to re-live some happy memories from your holiday.

Hope this helps, have a wonderful time on board :)

Thank you, that was some good information and will keep note of all that.

One question for you, if I have a collared shirt and some slacks, can I roam about the ship at 6pm, can we go for a walk on the top deck? Can we go to a show or anything?

We don't care much about the fancy dinners, we ate enough different and yummy foods all throughout Europe the last 3 months, we just want to keep ourselves occupied.

No I'm not going to go out of my way to ruin anyone else's vacation but if they see me out of dress a bit I hope they look the other way instead of being judgemental or appaled

I wouldn't think anyone would have a problem with you taking a walk round the deck, however you will probably need a jacket because of the temperature rather than any dress code requirements.

It may be summer but the wind across the open decks will make it feel cool.

It's unlikely that your fellow passengers will pass comment, generally people are far more restrained in real life than on an Internet forum.

... I have a collared shirt and some slacks, can I roam about the ship at 6pm, can we go for a walk on the top deck? Can we go to a show or anything? ...
Hi cruiser69420,

You could walk about the open decks dressed as you suggest, however there is a good chance that the wind and cold in the North Atlantic (remember the forward speed of the ship alone) could mean that you may not wish to spend long outdoors without a coat (or find a sheltered spot, Deck 8 near the Terrace Bar for example). A crossing is not your average cruise around the Caribbean; QM2 is an ocean liner, and although slowed down a lot recently, in my experience there can still be quite a wind on deck!

As for roaming the ship after 1800, or going to a show, without a jacket on... well I've seen it done once or maybe twice (but not more often) on all my voyages. Most recently on a QM2 winter crossing, there was a Japanese couple who wore casual clothes the whole time on board (never saw them in the theatre/dining room/bars however, just walking about).

If roaming the many bars/lounges etc, I doubt you'd be served a drink if you sat down, and there is a chance that you'll be reminded of the dress-code by a senior member of staff.

As for the theatre, well I did see, on one occasion, a couple dressed casually whilst watching a show, many trips ago. But they looked very out-of-place and extremely uncomfortable (the lady esp. kept looking about at everyone else "dressed" and muttered to her companion constantly (at one point she made a move to leave).

If they are showing a film in Illuminations in the evening (which they frequently do) you might find that no-one will notice how people are dressed.

... No I'm not going to go out of my way to ruin anyone else's vacation but if they see me out of dress a bit I hope they look the other way instead of being judgemental or appaled
I doubt that any passenger would say something to you directly. I certainly wouldn't. You may hear "stage whispers" or quiet comments, and get more than one or two "looks" however. And as I said, you may run the risk of not being served, or being "reminded" of that evening's code.

If you already have trousers, why not buy a jacket to go with them? That way you can enjoy the ship on the informal nights (that is the majority of nights btw). With the expense you've already gone to (3 months in Europe, QM2 home), the additional cost of a smart jacket is hardly anything. Trust me, you'll be glad you did once on board and you see what you're missing.

Best wishes for your crossing on QM2 :)

Edited by pepperrn

cruiser69420, I wonder if you had a quiet word with the maître d when the restaurant wasn't busy about the possible availability of a 'loner jacket' that you could borrow for dinner...as long as you were wearing trousers and a collared shirt, the jacket would allow you to meet the dress code for informal evenings. Dining in the main dining room at least once is an experience I wouldn't want you to miss.

BTW, there's no need for you to go into detail about why you didn't pack a jacket, just a simple question to ask if there might be one available for you on informal evenings. (Based on the information you provided, I'd estimate your size as being 44 Regular in US sizing.) Perhaps you might ask your cabin steward in the event the maître d didn't have a jacket available for you to borrow. Please note that I have no idea if either of those suggestions would work out but you have nothing to lose by asking. (Personally, I would consider it excellent service if I was able to borrow a garment, and would show my appreciation with a sincere thank you and an added gratuity if at all possible.)

Lastly, google tells me there are several thrift shops in Southampton - maybe you could find something that fits your budget in one of those shops.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

@ pepperrn I am always amazed how you forward your replies in a phantastic contructive and helpful spirit! Kudos!
Thank you Yoshikitty :o , very kind of you, much appreciated :o . Sincere best wishes and many happy sailings :)

cruiser69420,

I dont think that anyone here is being deliberately disrespectful or lacks understanding. We are just surprised that someone has clearly reached adult age and apparently not encountered a situation where he had to wear a suit (you've really NEVER been to a wedding / funeral / christening / graduation / nice restaurant / job interview / court ?) We are even more surprised that this person has then booked with a cruise line that is famous for its strict dress code. :eek:

This is not just a Cunard thing either, many other lines enforce a dress code after 6pm, P&O for one.

The advice that people have given about trying to find a cheap jacket in Southampton is well meant, as this will allow you to go to the MDR / theatre / bars on the nights that YOU chose. People are not making fun, they know a little outlay here will give you much more options for your cruise. If you haven't reached the UK yet, and you genuinely only do have shorts and T-shirts you may have to shop anyway, last week we had a heatwave and now its fff-reezing here.

If you do decide to cruise casually, dont let it spoil things, enjoy the trip :)

Thank you, that was some good information and will keep note of all that.

One question for you, if I have a collared shirt and some slacks, can I roam about the ship at 6pm, can we go for a walk on the top deck? Can we go to a show or anything?

We don't care much about the fancy dinners, we ate enough different and yummy foods all throughout Europe the last 3 months, we just want to keep ourselves occupied.

No I'm not going to go out of my way to ruin anyone else's vacation but if they see me out of dress a bit I hope they look the other way instead of being judgemental or appaled

Pretty much yes. Did you bring a sport coat? That's really all you need to complete the code. No one is really going to take notice, if you have a sport coat. They are found pretty much everywhere & can be quite inexpensive. Add a tie & you'll be fine. I know you said you're kind of "cashed" out. Easy to do when touring, still a sport coat can be had pretty cheaply.