Newbie from the USA/ Dream

The cruise shop (cardiff) said they would immediately e-mail and follow with a phone call. No e-mail, no call. I responded but they were already closed. I will retry tomorrow. I hope I can get this resolved, my international calling plan is up at the end of the month. I'm beginning to wish I had booked american. This should teach me to use a travel agent, but I'm experienced at doing this independently, also I couldn't find a travel agent who would handle the booking; go figure.

Wee county I knew I loved Scotland for a reason! Called back today and received positive results. Can't thank you enough.

I'll drink to that - not that I need any excuses for a dram !!!

I can't take any credit, I didn't do anything, was waiting out until Thomsons called you back (or didn't, as the case may be) on this matter.

Obviously you got an answer on the credit card question which was a crucial issue.

Can I ask - will they accept a card from a US bank ?

Likewise, did you get a satisfactory response on the ticket(s) ?

In your case I didn't see a problem - as long as you have proof of purchase (booking reference number etc.) then you should have no difficulties boarding at Palma - a cruise only reservation obviously does not involve flight bookings with boarding passes needing downloaded and printed.

That's an opinion - can't be certain on that scenario.

Good to see you got a result - at long last.

Thanks again for your positive energy. They sent my confirmation number and will send paperwork closer to departure. They still were on the fence about credit cards, but assured me that they would take cash. I now have all my reservations set and paid for, now for the roll call to reply...

Just had a thought.

There will probably be members of this Thomson forum cruising on Dream in August.

Perhaps a thread asking if one good hearted soul could visit customer services to ask if an onboard account may be settled using a credit card issued by a US bank.

You have to assume the relevant ship's staff can give a yes/no ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan

We normally cruise RCI, Celebrity, NCL and had our first Thomson Cruise last year. Like you we were direct joiners at Malaga as we live 30 minutes from the port (most passengers are on packages including Thomson charter flights) I have to say we were actually treated very well at checkin, being independant travellers as they called it we were whisked to the front of the lines and through checkin in a flash (why I don't know ) we didn't check in online before going to the port I just went with my final confirmation document and that was fine. . I think your best bet is really to try and take British Pounds if you can, to pay your on board account.It may be an idea to check with them if they take Euro cash as it looks as though you are in Spain prior to the cruise departure and they may have an onboard facility to change euros to sterling but you would need to check that out. Although we live in Spain we are British and still have a British CC so we were ok with that. ThomsonCruises are very British, we enjoyed our week and have booked again for 2016 mainly because the ship departs from Malaga. My overall opinion of Thomsons is that they represent a good value for money cruise with some interesting itineraries. RCI or Celebrity they are not but they make a very pleasant alternative.

Glyn

I think your best bet is really to try and take British Pounds if you can, to pay your on board account.It may be an idea to check with them if they take Euro cash as it looks as though you are in Spain prior to the cruise departure and they may have an onboard facility to change euros to sterling but you would need to check that out.

IMO the lady should not need to take any Sterling (or Euros for that matter)- Thomsons should honour a credit card regardless of where it was issued.

Why should that be a problem ?

However if it does come down to cash, I'm 99% sure they'll deal in Euros as 3 of the 5 ports of call are in the EU and some customers will want to exchange Sterling to Euros for runs ashore.

Therefore, logically, Saltshell can pay her intial deposit of £200 - and clear her final onboard account by presenting Euros.

There should be no need for her to handle any Sterling at any time - customer services can calculate the amount required in Euros at the prevailing exchange rate, and give any small change due back in Pounds.

To that end she should have a supply of small Euro notes (I doubt they'll accept coins) so that she can present the amount required to the nearest five Euros.

The drawback of course is that Thomsons will apply a lousy rate of exchange to these transactions.

Saltshell,

Presumably you are still in the dark over the US credit card question ?

I found this on the Thomsons website.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/life-onboard/got-a-question.html

Maybe the solution for you is to get an American Express credit card ? The official advice on that webpage is clear and unambiguous IMO.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
spelling