Best Cabin to Help Avoid Sea Sickness

mommatee

My fiancee and I are going on a cruise for our honeymoon. He has a really weak stomach and gets car sick/motion sick pretty easy. He will go to the Dr. to get the patch and/or medicine to take and I do know the boat is big and he probably won't feel it and everything, but we are getting a cabin with a balcony. Would it be worse for him to be looking out of the side or the very back of the ship? Thanks.

The middle of the ship feels the movement the least. Also, the lower the deck the less movement felt.

As much as I love cruising, are you sure that this is the kind of honeymoon you want? If you already know that he gets carsick, then why temp fate? If he does get sick, it is not like you can stop at the side of the ocean so he can get off. Your whole honeymoon may be ruined.

If the all-inclusive thing is what you are looking for, there are resorts you can go to.

Also Take ginger pills with you. The sailors or old and people from China have use ginger for sea sickness for centuries. If he is given the patch try it out first for side effects and do not drink.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

mommatee,

I have to agree with mlk on all points. Middle bottom of the ship sees the least motion. But also getting out on deck in the open air can help.

With that said DW and I are going on our second cruise, but our honeymoon was with Sandals in Negril, Jamaica. We had a fantastic time. We actually preferred that to a cruise, but the cruise is a lot less money. You may want to consider something else for your honeymoon, rather than having DH sick the whole time.

If you want to cruise in the future, perhaps start with a 2 day cruise to nowhere.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Till sailing on the Maasdam

My husband has a tendency towards motion sickness, so we always select a cabin midships as low as possible.

Our second honeymoon was to an all inclusive in Bermuda named the Harmnony Club. I recommend it highly.

I suffer from quite a bit of motion sickness. If I'm in the bathtub too long it makes me queasy. The other posters are correct about room placement. I've only become ill on one cruise from motion and it was the first day before we even got out to sea. It was extremely hot which makes it worse for motion sickness people. It was during the muster drill and we were crammed like sardines onto the deck and I was shoved way in the back behind some fairly large sweaty people with no air movement. I promptly threw up. I now take my Bonine ( I found that it is the best for me), two tablets each day together at the same time, starting the day before we sail. I take them at supper time because they can tend to make me a little drowsy after a few hours and I found that I slept better because I became drowsy about the time I wanted to be. I continued taking two every evening for the duration. I've never gotten sick again and I've been on a couple of cruises since then. I have learned to take muster drill precautions. Before going I take a quick cool shower, carry a wet cold wash rag with me that I can use to keep cool, avoid the back even if you have to lie and say your claustrophobic, carry a plastic barf bag just in case, and have a cool drink before going. Just having the wet head while standing in the hot sun makes me feel better. Have him avoid staying in the cabin for extended periods of time- lots of fresh air. He will do fine.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

Archived