Tour operator for Volcano National Park

coconutmonkey

Google Big Island Aina Tours. Private van, max 6 people.

Volcano National Park and Rainbow Falls plus other stops.

Tour stops:

• Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory

• Akatsuka Orchid Gardens
    • Volcano National Park - Thurston Lava Tube, Jagger Museum, Halemau'mau Crater and Kilauea Caldera
    • Rainbow Falls
    • Liliuokalani Garden
    • Drive by historic Hilo bayfront
    • View King Kamehameha Statue
    • Hilo Beach Park

Great reviews on TripAdvisor. We're using this company later this month.

In Hilo port, the main attraction is the VNP. It's very easy to drive yourself. There's free shuttle between pier and airport car rental location. It's one road to drive to the VNP. It's one circle drive around the Crater Rim road, to stop and see many places, at your own pace.

Other stops, nut farm, gardens, falls, can all be added on easily if you really want to, but are not necessary. Not missing much if not going to them.

I am looking for an independent tour operator to go see Volcano National Park. My cruise line does not offer excursions there. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, along with websites if you know them.

Thanks!

We rented a car from Dollar and they pick you up at the terminal. It's a simple and easy drive to the park. As a National Park, they have Rangers to explain things in the visitor's center. If you have a National Park Annual pass from the mainland, they will honor it.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/index.htm

It's 95 miles from Kailua-Kona to Kilauea. it will take you 2 hours each way.... How long will you be in port?

I would recommend against trying to do a land excursion to VNP. There are helicopter tours that leave from the Kona airport; but they aren't cheap.... But it's your best chance to see glowing lava. (If there is any to see at all while you are there.)

Aloha,

John

Thanks John and Middleager for the posts. I've come to the conclusion that its too far to go in one day (i.e. 4 - 5 hours of driving round trip). I'll have to see Volcano National Park on another visit when I'm in Hilo. Meanwhile, I hear Kona is a nice town to visit.

No tour operator needed if at least one member of your party has a driver's license. A rental car is definitely the way to go here. It is a very easy drive. You go at your own pace, stopping when and where you want for as long as your want.

In addition to the Crater Rim Road, don't miss the Chain of Craters Road. Be sure to drive down through the lava flows all the way to the ocean. It is so smooth and easy to do now that the road has been paved all the way.

Get out at the bottom and take the short walk out through the lava field to look down the edge of the rugged cliffs to the ocean below.

Having your own car totally eliminates the "meet back at the bus in 30 minutes" nonsense.

If you want to do some additional sightseeing outside the park, look through a few of the tour brochures or websites. You can pick out all the places the tours go that appeal to you and do them on your own.

Or just pick up a good guide book.

Sorry Coconutmonkey, I was replying to your original post and did not realize that you would be arriving in Kona instead of Hilo.

My previous message pertains to Hilo, so it would not be applicable in your situation.

Hope you enjoy Kona and are able to get to Hilo another time because Volcanoes National Park is really spectacular and unique, well worth a visit.

Better yet would be if you could spend several days on the island with sufficient time to experience the full circuit.

Hi,Noted your recent reply to a question about VNP and you comments about car rental.I am looking at hiring a car in Hilo and the other islands we will be stopping at on our upcoming cruise.It seems from your comments that i will be able to take a shuttle from the Hilo port to the airport to pick up a rental car.Do you have experience of car rental on any of the other islands(Maui,Kauai,Honolulu) ? I am trying to find out how easy it is to get to the car rental location from the ports.Thanks.

Hi,Noted your recent reply to a question about VNP and you comments about car rental.I am looking at hiring a car in Hilo and the other islands we will be stopping at on our upcoming cruise.It seems from your comments that i will be able to take a shuttle from the Hilo port to the airport to pick up a rental car.Do you have experience of car rental on any of the other islands(Maui,Kauai,Honolulu) ? I am trying to find out how easy it is to get to the car rental location from the ports.Thanks.

In Hilo port, the main attraction is the VNP. It's very easy to drive yourself. There's free shuttle between pier and airport car rental location. It's one road to drive to the VNP. It's one circle drive around the Crater Rim road, to stop and see many places, at your own pace..

Same with every other port. Easy car rental, free shuttles with all at Kauai and Maui and in Oahu with Thrifty.

• 6 months later...
We rented a car from Dollar and they pick you up at the terminal. It's a simple and easy drive to the park. As a National Park, they have Rangers to explain things in the visitor's center. If you have a National Park Annual pass from the mainland, they will honor it.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/index.htm

THANK YOU for that link! I just printed the info and sent the link to my wife as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Scott Wiggers at ApauHawaiiTour.com last month. Had a great trip to Volcano National Park, as well as Rainbow Falls (not to good due to a lack of recent rain) and finished up at the beach park. Where else can you see an active volcano up close?

I realize that this response was done in April and this is October - but we definitely had a very negative experience with this company (initially) and even though I have posted about it responding to other queries, but what happened to us was - we were picked up at the port in a lovely tour van and after everyone had paid their final payment, driven 1/2 block and told that since we were 12 passengers and the van was for 15, we needed to leave that van and board a smaller one. It was terrible. We had to almost crawl over 3 seats to get to the back, it was old and in bad shape and when the guide explained what we were supposed to be seeing out of the small windows, we could not hear him because of the rattling doors. At the first stop, we called the office and said this wasn't acceptable and they sent another van to pick us up. We thought the van would be for the entire group, but they only accommodated my husband and myself. We had Karen who was delightful and full of information. Book this company ONLY if you can request her or either an up to date van. I would even recommend that the group not pay their final payment until they saw what they would be traveling around in all day.

Hope this helps.

B. Cole

Hi,

I looked around a lot and did some research, this is what we have booked in May for our cruise.

http://hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/BigIslandVolcanoIslandTour.htm

Had pretty good reviews from all the reading I did

Ricky's Tours also has a good reputation

Enjoy!

Here is a review of a tour for Volcanos Park, sorry its kind of long...

Tours By Local Hilo Hawaii

Tour Date: October 15 2012

Tour Guide: Scott W.

Let me start off by saying we like to be independent type tourist when we travel

by ship so we are always looking for local tours or tour guides.

We booked this tour for our sailing from the Golden Princess cruise ship on a two

week cruise to Hawaii. When researching independent tours for Hilo Hawaii we

did a standard google search for independent tours on the island and Tours by

Locals came up in our search (http://www.toursbylocals.com). We went to the website

and started to research what was available for our trip. The site was very user

friendly and informative not only to what tours were available for our trip but also

in providing overviews of the tour types and the tour guides (in Hilo there were to

guides available with several tour locations and lengths) and pricing of the tours.

The site also give the maximum number of people who they could take on the

tour (our tour was 3 which was perfect as we are a 3 person party).

Once we booked our tour, the 5 hour Volcano National Park tour with Scott W. we

waited for conformation and to be contacted by Scott for our tour times. Just so

you know your credit card will not be charged until the tour is accepted by the

guide.

Once we were accepted by Scott we were contacted by Tours by Locals to let us

know he had accepted by us for the tour and give us Scott's last name. Shortly

after we were contacted by Tours by Locals Scott contacted us by email

introducing himself telling us we we confirmed and giving us his contact

information as well as instructions on where to meet him for the tour. The nice

thing about the contact with Scott was that although we booked the tour for 10

am he informed us he would be waiting for us at around 9:30 am for our pick up

(I think this is great as we did not have to lose any time on our 5 hour tour waiting

for the pick up).

So after the ship was cleared for disembarkation (around 9am) we got off the

ship around 9:15 and got to the meeting location for pick up. We called Scott who

was actually just entering the port area so our wait was minimal. Scott drives a

Jeep Wrangler 4 door type (just a word of warning it is 4 wheel drive and it does

sit up off the ground a little so entering and exiting can be a issue if you have

mobility issues) very clean and well maintained with door signs letting us know it

was him. Again I can't stress enough how well the communications between us

and Scott were pre tour and up until the pick up.

So after being picked up by Scott we talked about what sites we wanted to see

besides the Volcano National Park. Now having been to Hilo the year before we

had seen Rainbow Falls and the botanical gardens we opted not to re visit those

sites (basically we wanted to see the park, lava tubes chain of craters road and

black sand beach).

As we started out for our tour it started raining a little so Scott suggested we visit

the orchid farm first to allow the heavy rain to pass so we did.

Now if you are not a flower or orchid lover it is still worth the visit to the orchid

farm just to see the varieties of orchids they grow and see some of the history of

them.

After the rain slowed we headed to the park to see the volcanos. Since we had

been to the park before we skipped the initial park information center (this is a

great place to stop if you have not been before it has an overview of the park)

because we had and idea of what we wanted to see. On the drive through the

park towards our first stop Scott pointed out many interesting location and asked

if we wanted to stop at them (note here there are a lot of places in the park that

you can walk through and around so if you want to walk bring comfortable

walking shoes, I would also recommend a light rain jacket and or wind breaker as

it can be windy or rainy or both at times) we chose to skip those site and

continued to the Kilauea crater overlook. After stopping at the crater

We toured the upper crater part and the Jaggar Museum before Scott drove us to

another lookout location were we could see the crater from a different angle and

see some of the active steam vents. We concluded our tour of the upper crater

area with a stop at one of the steam vent locations that did not require a lot of

walking.

After we left the steam vents area we went to another lookout point to see the

crater and then to the Thurston Lava Tube.

The lava tube was amazing just the fact that you can walk on a tunnel that was

made by moving lava.

After the Thurston tube we went to Devastation trail another worthwhile walk,

Scott again was great he offered to walk with us but we opted to be dropped off

and have him meet us at the other end of the trail.

Our final visit in the park was the Chain of Craters Road and the Holei Sea Arch

another great feature.

We closed our tour by going to a couple of the black sand beaches in the area

where our ship was docked.

In general I would say this was one of out most enjoyable tours since we have

been cruising. Scott was very knowledgable and prepared for what ever we

happened to encounter and I would wholly recommend his services to anyone

who wants to do an independent tour on Hilo. We will be using him again in the

future.

I realize that this response was done in April and this is October - but we definitely had a very negative experience with this company (initially) and even though I have posted about it responding to other queries, but what happened to us was - we were picked up at the port in a lovely tour van and after everyone had paid their final payment, driven 1/2 block and told that since we were 12 passengers and the van was for 15, we needed to leave that van and board a smaller one. It was terrible. We had to almost crawl over 3 seats to get to the back, it was old and in bad shape and when the guide explained what we were supposed to be seeing out of the small windows, we could not hear him because of the rattling doors. At the first stop, we called the office and said this wasn't acceptable and they sent another van to pick us up. We thought the van would be for the entire group, but they only accommodated my husband and myself. We had Karen who was delightful and full of information. Book this company ONLY if you can request her or either an up to date van. I would even recommend that the group not pay their final payment until they saw what they would be traveling around in all day.

Hope this helps.

B. Cole

Uh-oh, I reserved with hawaiicruiseexcursions.com based on good reviews also! And we're leaving tomorrow on our cruise.:eek: Thanks for the tip about checking out the vehicle - my husband is very tall, and will not be happy about being squeezed into a tiny, old van.:(

• 3 weeks later...
Uh-oh, I reserved with hawaiicruiseexcursions.com based on good reviews also! And we're leaving tomorrow on our cruise.:eek: Thanks for the tip about checking out the vehicle - my husband is very tall, and will not be happy about being squeezed into a tiny, old van.:(

Well, we also were met with a nice shuttle bus - which took us just outside the security gate. Several older vans were there - initially we were happy as a huge group with children were placed in the first van. We were put into a second van, with just one older foreign couple (who liked to talk on their cellphone). To make a long story short, our driver took us through a detour to a local beach - and he stated that "we had to wait for other people". He didn't tell us anything about the beach - it was comforting that there was a police station there. After being there for 45 minutes, basically on our own, we called the phone number from the email we got confirming our tour. Thankfully, I got in contact with a person - and told him the tour wasn't what we expected. We wanted to see the volcano, not a parking lot. The man I talked to was very nice, and he offered to meet us back at the ship. We bailed out of the excursion - fortunately a taxi was dropping off some people, and we took the taxi back to the ship. The rep from the company was there, and gave us a full cash refund, which was a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, it was so late in the day that most of the other tours had left - so we missed out on the volcano. We were offered another tour with this company, but we were gunshy at this point and declined.

My advice would be to take the ship's tour - I wish I had done so.:(

We just returned from the same trip and we booked our tour through " Marylousbigislandguidedtours.com" 1-509-690-8163. It was great we visited the VNP (lava tubes, crater, steam vents ect.). Next we went to the orchid nursery then to the Hilo Coffee Mill where we had the best coffee. AND then we went to Rainbow Falls after that the farmers market where we got to sample the local produce and buy flowers for our cabin, they were very inexpensive. Our last stop was to the black sand beach where we got to take pictures of the turtles sleeping on the rocks. This tour is very small there was only 4 of us and it was 75.00 a person and we didn't pay until the tour was finished. Highly recommended!

We just returned from the same trip and we booked our tour through " Marylousbigislandguidedtours.com" 1-509-690-8163. It was great we visited the VNP (lava tubes, crater, steam vents ect.). Next we went to the orchid nursery then to the Hilo Coffee Mill where we had the best coffee. AND then we went to Rainbow Falls after that the farmers market where we got to sample the local produce and buy flowers for our cabin, they were very inexpensive. Our last stop was to the black sand beach where we got to take pictures of the turtles sleeping on the rocks. This tour is very small there was only 4 of us and it was 75.00 a person and we didn't pay until the tour was finished. Highly recommended!

Wish we had gone with you & Merrie!!! Your tour was what ours was supposed to be!

Archived