Navigator of the Seas June 2014

car41475

We are sailing in June 2014 on RCI Navigator of the Seas. I have been looking for information on the Falmouth, Jamaica port. I am getting mixed reviews on getting off of the ship that day. I am traveling with my husband and 5 kids. I am not sure if we should plan an excursion for that port or just hang out on the ship that day.

We are sailing in June 2014 on RCI Navigator of the Seas. I have been looking for information on the Falmouth, Jamaica port. I am getting mixed reviews on getting off of the ship that day. I am traveling with my husband and 5 kids. I am not sure if we should plan an excursion for that port or just hang out on the ship that day.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You have found the Royal Caribbean forum, which is great, since you will be on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

But there is another section of CC for the ports of call.

Here is the link to the forum for Jamaica:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Inside the port area is OK. I would not walk out of the gate on foot unless you like being grabbed and pulled at. You can see from the ship as you come into port what an impoverished city it is and these folks want you to come to their booth at the market outside the gate so they can make money for their family. What they don't understand is that by pulling on visitors and even fighting amongst themselves over your' business, they make people not want to go out the gate in the first place. If you want to see the island, book a tour with Courtney Taylor or another tour guide on the island and let them pick you up inside the gates.

Inside the port area is OK. I would not walk out of the gate on foot unless you like being grabbed and pulled at. You can see from the ship as you come into port what an impoverished city it is and these folks want you to come to their booth at the market outside the gate so they can make money for their family. What they don't understand is that by pulling on visitors and even fighting amongst themselves over your' business, they make people not want to go out the gate in the first place. If you want to see the island, book a tour with Courtney Taylor or another tour guide on the island and let them pick you up inside the gates.

I did an independent walking/culinary tour earlier this month in Falmouth. No one bothered us, nor did I see anyone else being bothered.

Despite what so many have posted on this board, Falmouth is a very nice little town.

And, btw, I was very disappointed with my tour with Courtney Taylor in September.

Edited by Merion_Mom

our family of 6 did a private guided day by a tour company. I'm not sure if I can mention the name so if you are interested email me at debbs@consolidated.net. The only downside was that every thing we wanted to see was an hour away but a comfortable ride to that hour away. We went to blue hole and were the only family there and completely spoiled for 2 hours. Lunch with our tour guide, horseback riding on the beach. You name it we did it. All while learning all about Jamaica. He drove us through many neighborhoods that I still remind my kids about how lucky they are to have the lives they have.

We were on the Navigator as well when we did this last Spring. The shopping area of the ship is big and will definitely provide some entertainment if you like that sort of thing. That said, with only 3 days in port on a cruise I like to hit the ground running and do things I cannot do in town and I don't want to be stuck on the ship just because of some complaints people have had. It is your vacation. Enjoy it to the fullest. If that means relaxing on the ship, then so be it but if you want to get out and see all that Jamaica has to offer, please do so. Just do your research and enjoy your day.

Debbie