Guest book/item

amberc1991

Hey everyone today I am trying to decide on what to get people to sign. I do not want a guest book because people will sign it and I'll put it in storage. I was thinking of something nautical themed or some kind of decoration that they could sign and I could hang up or display. I was already told that we cannot have a signed picture frame so I'm just trying to come up with ideas for something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which line are you getting married on? I've seen others with signed picture frames and no problem. We wanted a piece of "artwork", so we did a thumbprint tree. There are loads of them on Etsy and some of the artists are willing to customize them (anchors or cruise ships instead of chairs and that kind of thing).

Thumbprintisland.jpg

il_570xN.452627129_76zp.jpg

il_570xN.617643738_iz41.jpg

il_570xN.478197067_9a4r.jpg

For many of these you order the print, the artist sends you the PDF, you send it to a printer, and it can be transported in a poster roll.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

We are doing a message in a bottle for our guests. We took small pieces of paper and twine and asked they they leave us messages then wrap them in twine and drop in a large bottle. on our 1 year anniversary we plan to break the bottle and read all the messages.

We are doing a message in a bottle for our guests. We took small pieces of paper and twine and asked they they leave us messages then wrap them in twine and drop in a large bottle. on our 1 year anniversary we plan to break the bottle and read all the messages.

I love this idea! :) Might have to steal it...if you don't mind of course! ;)

We only had slightly over 20 guests so we didn't have them sign anything, instead I made stencils of the letters of our last name and the date (we had 2 more couples than signs so I made 2 heart stencils for each end of our name) and I had each couple/single/family or whatever hold a letter and snapped their picture. It took about 5 minutes and my hubby and I did the pictures ourselves (I had written names on the back of each letter ahead of time so I would make sure I had everybody), so we made sure we got around to everybody to thank them for coming and took their pictures. Anyway, we printed the pictures and my friend who does custom framing is framing them as a wedding gift to us....so instead of signatures we have pictures of everybody at the wedding that will be in a beautiful display on our wall.

We had 25 guests, so it was fairly small. We made a Shutterfly book with our engagement & dating photos, leaving every other page blank. Then, we bought a polaroid camera and had each person take a photo of themselves and put it in the book with advice for a long and happy marriage.

Most of our guests have had long marriages. We had 4 couples that are 40+ years married. The only unmarried couple was my sister, who got married last month. Other than that, the shortest marriage among our guests was 10 years. So, we wanted to take advantage of that and get their marriage advice.

But, we now have a great photo album with our closest family & friends, filled with some great advice. And it made a great way to display & keep all our pre-wedding photos also. We created a matching Shutterfly book with our wedding/trip/cruise photos and display them together as a set.

_OJ_6702.jpg.fe7ff13f88352fbc1dc8858d32fa1f3a.jpg

I LOVE the idea of the Polaroid picture. I didn't want an ordinary book BC its so boring and I'll probably never look at it again. Also, its a small wedding and I'm expecting a put 20 guests is very close family. did you set up the Polaroid BC I just looked into it and its usually like 10 pictures to a roll..so did you designate someone to change the roll? Did you have someone take pics or let the guests take their own pics?

I LOVE the idea of the Polaroid picture. I didn't want an ordinary book BC its so boring and I'll probably never look at it again. Also, its a small wedding and I'm expecting a put 20 guests is very close family. did you set up the Polaroid BC I just looked into it and its usually like 10 pictures to a roll..so did you designate someone to change the roll? Did you have someone take pics or let the guests take their own pics?

We had the Fuji Instax Mini camera. We actually just left it sitting on the table and let people figure it out. The film is in a little box and you just pop one box out, open the new package, and put a new box in and close the door. It's pretty simple and there are directions (in picture format) on the wrappers. I figured that we would just make sure to stop by the table when we saw several people there and could answer questions if needed. But, everyone figured it out very easily. My sister used the camera for her wedding (2 months after mine) and people figured it out there without any help also. The hardest part was probably getting adjusted to having to look through a viewing hole to take a picture again. After having screens to look at for aiming, the old school viewing hole is actually difficult to adjust to.

I think our book turned out awesome.

One biggest advice is to make sure you buy more than enough film. We had 25 people, but I had enough film for about 150 pictures, figuring people may want to redo the picture or keep some for themselves. Some people only took one picture per couple, some took one per person, and a few people (mainly my siblings) had fun with it and we have 5-6 pictures of them. My sister was trying to stay cheap and only had enough film for 1 picture per family... she ran out of film partway threw. There was another wedding at her venue that had rented a photo booth so some people hijacked the neighbors rented booth to add pics to my sisters book... I don't think the other bride was thrilled.

Also, keep in mind that it's not really cheap. The camera is about $100 (new) and film is about $0.75 per picture. With 20 guests, that's not too much film, but for my sisters 150 guests, it adds up.

Oh, and I put photo corners in my book in advance, so people could just take the picture and slide it into the corner things. The camera I got has 2 buttons to take pictures, one on top and one on side, so you can do it turned either way. Well, people took photos with various orientation... some vertical, some horizontal. My pre-set corner things were only one orientation. So, we have some pages where the polaroids are in there sideways. So, I'd avoid doing anything preset for adhering them to the book. Maybe use tape (my sister had them tape into a scrapbook with a variety of washi tape in her wedding colors) or have some other adhesive method that they can do themselves.

Man these are all great ideas! After hours on pintrest I finally decided I am going to do a treasure chest and I bought little wooden circles I am going to pain gold and silver. I am going to have them sign the chest and then write their well wishes on the gold and silver coins and put them in the chest.

We're doing one of those picture frames that the guests sign the matte. I bought some archival ink pens for them to use. We'll put one of our wedding pics in it and put it up when we get home.

Sarah.....just 2 weeks! OMG! :eek:

I know can you believe it. No words to describe how excited I am. lol were did the last year go??? For all you brides to be... trust me it seems a long way away but man the time can fly by.:D

Vasoxfann... I wish you the best , Congrats and have the time of your life.....I know I will.

I found a perfect "Message in a bottle, bottle!" It was from Ikea for 3.99!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40227983/

We are going to get old style paper and twine and have everyone write us a little word of advice. I think it will be a nice display and we will also be leaving out a picture frame for everyone to sign at our at home reception.