Touring Boston post-cruise

Beachiekeen

We will be getting off the Dawn on Friday, October 27 after our cruise. We will spend the weekend in Boston with my brother-in-law as our tour guide, however, I would like for hubby and I to do one of the two things I want to do that I think we might not have time for and wanted to see if my plan would work.

I've read we can be off the ship by 9:30 am so I was thinking we could Uber to the south Boston Amtrak station and store our luggage. I really want to do the Freedom Trail and tour Fenway. So I was thinking we could either Uber back to the Boston Common and do the trail or to Fenway for a morning tour. And then I guess we Uber back to the bus station for our luggage and then Uber to my BIL's in Somerville.

Can we walk from the bus station to where the Freedom Trail starts? Is there a better way to get to where I want to go? Should I just abandon this idea completely? TIA for any help.

We will be getting off the Dawn on Friday, October 27 after our cruise. We will spend the weekend in Boston with my brother-in-law as our tour guide, however, I would like for hubby and I to do one of the two things I want to do that I think we might not have time for and wanted to see if my plan would work.

I've read we can be off the ship by 9:30 am so I was thinking we could Uber to the south Boston Amtrak station and store our luggage. I really want to do the Freedom Trail and tour Fenway. So I was thinking we could either Uber back to the Boston Common and do the trail or to Fenway for a morning tour. And then I guess we Uber back to the bus station for our luggage and then Uber to my BIL's in Somerville.

Can we walk from the bus station to where the Freedom Trail starts? Is there a better way to get to where I want to go? Should I just abandon this idea completely? TIA for any help.

Luggage storage is on the 5th floor at the bus station next to the Amtrak station South Station. You can walk to the Boston Common from there if you like, or you can Uber or take the Red Line.

However, I would suggest you look closely at the Freedom Trail map and do it backwards - decide if you want to start at the Constitution in Charlestown or in the North End working backwards to the Common.

Uber will take you everywhere in Boston. My son uses it all the time and lives in Somerville. What section of Somerville are you going to? The Red Line runs to Porter Square and Davis Square from South station and is accessible with luggage. I flew in yesterday morning and went from Logan to South Station to Alewife with luggage. If your BIL lives near Davis or Porter, you could save yourselves some money by going there before you Uber.

Oh thanks, that is good to know. I am not sure where he lives but will keep that as an option. I forgot about the train being an option too.

I think we will try to tour Fenway the day we arrive (day before the cruise) and then do the Freedom Trail after the cruise. Those are two things I know the BIL won't care about but they are two of the things I really want to do. Plus it makes more sense if we can walk there from the bus station. So glad to know that it's doable.

The reason I suggested doing the Freedom Trail backwards is that traffic to get to the furthest point in Charlestown will be less late morning on a Friday. IMO you don't want to end up in Charlestown late afternoon on a Friday having to get yourselves back to the bus station to collect luggage and then trying to get to Somerville.

As long as you can roll the bag and lift it up one step onto the bus, it is doable. Aside from that, the trip is accessible with escalators and elevators.

Ask the driver if one person can pay for 2 at the front door while the person with the bag gets on the back door. I've found that there is much more room for luggage at the very rear.