Houston vs Galveston Hotels

Supafry

Just booked Breeze for the 2-11-18 sailing. Flying in on the 9th to Hobby. Looking for hotel recommendations and if we should spend 2 nights in Houston then get to Galveston the morning of the cruise vs spending 2 nights in Galveston and just getting there the night we fly in? First time to Texas and all input appreciated!

Just booked Breeze for the 2-11-18 sailing. Flying in on the 9th to Hobby. Looking for hotel recommendations and if we should spend 2 nights in Houston then get to Galveston the morning of the cruise vs spending 2 nights in Galveston and just getting there the night we fly in? First time to Texas and all input appreciated!
We usually stay in Galveston there are several nice hotels and lots good restaurants, the is lots to do in Galveston. And it safes you from worrying about Houston traffic. We live in Houston so I know how awful the traffic can be.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I would stay in Galveston. On our recent Valor cruise out of Galveston, we stayed with family north of Houston, and then I-45 was shut down while we were en route to Galveston. We made it in time, but it was nerve-wracking to be at a dead shop on the highway and not knowing how long it would last.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Galveston. We got free breakfast, and they also have a laundremat.

If you're on Liberty of the Seas (Royal Caribbean), they got fickle with the Diamond Plus laundry. Only day 2 and day 5 in November. Then on the Radiance last month, we were told we had to use free laundry on day 4 and get it back on day 6 just in time for packing. Don't know if that's a fleetwide policy, or just Radiance. By the time we got to the Radiance, we had five days of laundry from the train ride.

Why not stay one night in each city?

When we sailed Breeze in April 2014, we flew in the day before the cruise and stayed in Galveston that night. As we we hailed a taxi to the port the next morning, the taxi driver told us that there was a huge accident on the bridge leading to Galveston, and all traffic was stopped. I couldn't imagine being stuck on the wrong side of the bridge, watching time go by, wondering if we were going to make our cruise.

Why not stay one night in each city?

When we sailed Breeze in April 2014, we flew in the day before the cruise and stayed in Galveston that night. As we we hailed a taxi to the port the next morning, the taxi driver told us that there was a huge accident on the bridge leading to Galveston, and all traffic was stopped. I couldn't imagine being stuck on the wrong side of the bridge, watching time go by, wondering if we were going to make our cruise.

On Liberty of the Seas in November, we were driving from Austin, and everything went fine until we got to I-45. Then we were stopped by construction and diverted to I-59. We made Galveston in time to board. But on I-45 between Galveston and Houston they were bumper to bumper for miles on Northbound traffic.

We live in Nw Houston and my sister lives near hobby airport. Even with us being that close, we leave home at 8am even though the ship does not leave until 4. We just never take a chance on Houston traffic. If my sister is traveling with us we get to her house by hobby airport by 9. Seriously we don't play. If you can stay in Galveston, I would to that but would not risk coming in the day before. If you come in two days before, I would skip staying in Houston and stay both days in Galveston. Worse case, move to Galveston the day before. I wonder how close those dates are to the Mardi Gras in Galveston? That puts another perspective on things too. N

Sent from my iPad using Forums