Independent Excursions in Indonesia - VISAS NEEDED???

We will be sailing on the Maasdam & two of our stops are in Indonesia - Bali & Komodo Island. In both of these ports we are booked on independent tours (not through the ship) Do we need Visas??

I have called the cruise line and the booking agency, both refer me to Visa Central & the tour provider in Komodo Island seems to think we do, as they say that is not a port that supplies a 'free' Visa ?!?!?

Does anyone know the real answer?? HELP please, before I spend money, I don't need to !!

Charlene

Indonesia over the past 18 months have increased the number of countries that no longer require tourist visas. If your passport is from a country that requires a tourist visa then you will need to either obtain one before departing on the ship or pay the ships fees for arranging a visa for you. Some cruise lines charge a significant fee for arranging a visa on board. Suggest you go to the Indonesian government website pertaining to tourist visas and check if you need one. Whether or not you are undertaking a ships excursion or independent excursion is of no consequence. Everyone onboard the ship requiring a visa will be required to obtain one irrespective whether they go ashore or not.

Indonesia over the past 18 months have increased the number of countries that no longer require tourist visas. If your passport is from a country that requires a tourist visa then you will need to either obtain one before departing on the ship or pay the ships fees for arranging a visa for you. Some cruise lines charge a significant fee for arranging a visa on board. Suggest you go to the Indonesian government website pertaining to tourist visas and check if you need one. Whether or not you are undertaking a ships excursion or independent excursion is of no consequence. Everyone onboard the ship requiring a visa will be required to obtain one irrespective whether they go ashore or not.

Yes. I worded my post badly by saying "no visa". Everyone has to have a visa and we have always got ours on board the ship. I assumed they would have this and should have said that they did not need a different or special visa if they were going with an independent tour.

I think Komodo may be different in that you do not need a visa but I recall the tour operator saying that there is a landing fee that needed to be paid. I have to admit that I cannot quite recall what we paid as we sailed a while ago and when it was not quite visa free in Indonesia. Either way, am sure your cruise line will sort it out onboard for you.

I think Komodo may be different in that you do not need a visa but I recall the tour operator saying that there is a landing fee that needed to be paid. I have to admit that I cannot quite recall what we paid as we sailed a while ago and when it was not quite visa free in Indonesia. Either way, am sure your cruise line will sort it out onboard for you.

I think the "landing fee" in Komodo , is a payment , or admission to , the National Park that look after the "Dragons" .