Mendenhall Glacier Ice Adventure - Delicate Question

ICEMAN-KOHL

Er... I am going to attempt to phrase this as delicately as possible, so forgive me if it seems awkward.

My wife, I, and our 2 boys are travelling to Juneau next summer and considering the Mendenhall Glacier Ice Adventure: canoeing Mendenhall Lake, hiking the glacier, possibly exploring ice caves if conditions are right. However, my wife tends to get "ill" every month, and it is hard to predict when she will become "ill" too far in advance. The glacier adventure is 5-6 hours in the wilderness, and I am sure that there are no facilities available so that would rule out doing the excursion. Can you see where I am going with this?

We have the option of booking something with a third party or through the cruise line (RCI). I do not believe that either would let us cancel and get a refund at the last minute. Is this something that we can book onboard, or will that be too late? :o

Has she talked to a Dr. to see if there is something that can be done to make this 'illness' not so severe? I am not sure of her age or whether you will be having more children, but there are simple in office procedures that can help ease this 'illness'. NovaSure is one of them. I am by no means a Dr., nor do I pretend to be one, but this procedure worked for me! I hope I am on the right track here....

I hope she can get some relief from her 'illness' by then so that she can enjoy the adventure!

I went on this excursion this year, and it was my favorite excursion I've ever been on!!

Bathroom breaks are pretty much nonexistent. There are porta potties right before you get on the canoes, but after that there is nothing. Maybe a rock to hide behind once you get on/near the glacier.

There are 2 companies that do this excursion, and I'm sure you can book this with one of the companies 1-2 weeks in advance and they will still have openings.

If nothing else you could book it with you and the kids, and if the wife is feeling OK, see if she can purchase a ticket the day of.. There is a chance she might not get to go though by waiting until the day off.

• 1 month later...

That tour does sell out and several weeks may not be enough time for booking. Also, check your Juneau port time. If Explorer arriving 12pm, you'll have fewer available departures than Radiance arriving 9am. Both operators have a 2 week cancellation window for full refund. Your best bet may be to book when you know that is your first pick; either with a credit card that provides travel insurance (for all, not just the one who may be ill) or just buy trip insurance (also, the one that covers all, presuming that you will all cancel if one cannot go)

Edited by Alaskacie
clarification

Usually when you book the cruise line excursions you can cancel by a specific time once on the ship. So couldn't you book that when excursions are open for booking so you know you have this arranged and once on board wouldn't you know the timing so you could make the decision to either cancel just your wife's ticket or the tickets for all of you?

Keith

Obviously none of us can presume to know all the particulars of your wife's situation, but I must also agree with those who have suggested a visit to the doctor. There are also very good solutions which would not be permanent. Mirena changed my life. Something to think about.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app