Children in the Diamond Lounge?

Now sailing on one of the Royal ships in the Med, they say that RCCL changed their policy on allowing children under 18 in the Diamond Lounge as long as they are with an adult. Maybe we've missed something. In the concierge lounge the same, first night there were more children than adults😉

Now sailing on one of the Royal ships in the Med, they say that RCCL changed their policy on allowing children under 18 in the Diamond Lounge as long as they are with an adult. Maybe we've missed something. In the concierge lounge the same, first night there were more children than adults😉

I've not seen any formal announcement of a change in policy for kids in the DL, but I have seen some Diamond concierges allow it. The CL policy was changed several years ago to allow children during the cocktail hour.

Thnx Bob for your reply. In the welcome letter we've received it still says "children" above 18 are allowed. The reason for this thread was that the diamond lounge was full including several children.

I've not seen any formal announcement of a change in policy for kids in the DL, but I have seen some Diamond concierges allow it. The CL policy was changed several years ago to allow children during the cocktail hour.

We just got back last week from Anthem. The DL concierge said they weren't informed ahead of time, but now children are allowed in the DL[emoji20]

We just disembarked Indy yesterday, and our 14 year old was not allowed in the Diamond Lounge (he is Diamond too BTW). However, they had an "overflow area" for Diamond members cordoned off in the Olive or Twist next door. He was allowed in that area, so we were happy to sit there with him. The views were lovely, and we preferred that to the absolutely jam-packed DL anyway. There were other children in the main area of the Olive or Twist, so this workaround seemed to be acceptable to all.

However, we did notice a little girl who was much younger (maybe 8 years old?) inside the Diamond Lounge most evenings.... She seemed well behaved, so no problem really. Not sure why she was allowed, and our son was not, but I felt no need to find out. We were happy, and she and her family were happy too.

the CL has allowed children during cocktail hour for a couple of years now, after many complaints by people in Suites. DL was still restricted to adult only so this must be a VERY recent change. no clue as to what the policy is for the SL.

Note this is for during cocktail hours only.. children were alway allowed in the lounges at other times of the day as long as they were with adults.

furthermore each Concierge did have some leeway to allow or restrict access by children at any time.

It generally states age limitations in the DL on your welcome letter in your cabin. If I had young children I would be annoyed not to find out until I was onboard as it would impact how I planned my early evening. I do think the three drinks on our cards helps, since you can go other places with children.

the CL has allowed children during cocktail hour for a couple of years now, after many complaints by people in Suites. DL was still restricted to adult only so this must be a VERY recent change. no clue as to what the policy is for the SL.

Note this is for during cocktail hours only.. children were alway allowed in the lounges at other times of the day as long as they were with adults.

furthermore each Concierge did have some leeway to allow or restrict access by children at any time.

Last month on Explorer I had my 14-year-old grandson with me just to get myself a latte from the Diamond Lounge and I was told no children were allowed and he was denied entry. So we just went to the concierge lounge where there was no problem. This was in the morning.

Edited by lovelife

We were on Jewel in the Med on July 3 and got the letter that children were NOT allowed in the Diamond Lounge during cocktail hours so as Diamond Plus we instead went to the Concierge Lounge which was allowed.

It was nice at least having an option as on the ships with only Suite and Diamond Lounges we can't use them anymore with our kid.

• 1 month later...
We just got back last week from Anthem. The DL concierge said they weren't informed ahead of time, but now children are allowed in the DL[emoji20]

They're allowed this week. I'm sitting in the DL now and there are two kids and there were kids yesterday as well. Not really happy about it.

However, we did notice a little girl who was much younger (maybe 8 years old?) inside the Diamond Lounge most evenings.... She seemed well behaved, so no problem really. Not sure why she was allowed, and our son was not, but I felt no need to find out. We were happy, and she and her family were happy too.

We were in the DL on Freedom or Enchantment (as far as I recall which ship) where we met a young girl who was nearly eligible for Pinnacle based on her own cruising history. If it was her I doubt the Concierge would not allow her access.

Edited by Scotty G

Hope you told the lounge attendant you are not happy about that!

Didn't get a chance to but I will before the cruise is over. There were 3 of them in one family (I didn't notice one earlier) and they took an entire couch and the room was full, with overflow into the Music Hall (as it always does, even without kids, but still it didn't help things having kids there).

Edited by MisterBill99

I would rather have well behaved kids than dogs in the DL... Seeing more of that lately...

Those are presumably service dogs and there's nothing they can do about that. They should be very well behaved, however. I saw a dog in a stroller on the ship yesterday (not in the DL, however).

But at least dogs don't take up seats.

Edited by MisterBill99

I have sailed with my grandchildren 5 and 8 and have been allowed in the lounge. They share a chair and are aware of the privilege of the lounge. We sit and talk quietly about our day and what we have to look forward to. Personally I would take well behaved children over obnoxious loud inebriated adults any day!

They're allowed this week. I'm sitting in the DL now and there are two kids and there were kids yesterday as well. Not really happy about it.

If you're not happy then you have the option to go to any bar and use your vouchers. Why be unhappy?

If you're not happy then you have the option to go to any bar and use your vouchers. Why be unhappy?

some people like the fact that the lounge serves appetizers and canapés. can't get those in any other bar usually. other people like the smaller, more intimate venue. or the view. or the lack of limit on drinks.

When I was A child I was told to give my seat to an adult if there were no others available. I still give my seat to a lady today, but I see a lot of men who do not.

We are not diamond yet, but when our children accompanied us to the CL (or wherever Adult venue) if we were sitting and another adult came to join us, our children were taught to offer there seat.

On Oasis 2 weeks ago the letter said that children were allowed during cocktail hour - I clarified with the DC before bringing my children in and he said they are allowed at any time as long as they are accompanied by an adult. It was not too busy that week and they were in kids club most of the week but did come in a few nights and played checkers. If it was too crowded, I would have used my vouchers elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums