POA Maui - 2 Day Plan Questions

alwalaska

I am pretty sure that we will do Lahaina one day and the road to Hana the other day. Trip is in Feb 2019.

My first question before I dive deeper into this is which location on which day? We are supposed to dock at 8am on Sunday and leave 6pm on Monday.

I would prefer to do the opposite of the crowds unless it really doesn't make sense.

My general though is Lahaina on Day 1 since by the time we rent the car, etc on island time, we wouldn't hit the road to Hana until at least 9:30 on day 1, which is probably some of the busiest times. We would plan on a quite early start (7:30 am) on day 2 to have plenty of time and still get back at least an hour before all aboard.

Also, I heard the sunset in Lahaina can be amazing. We could enjoy that on day 1, but would miss it to get back to the ship on time on day 2.

Does Sunday vs Monday have any affect? Should we avoid one of the locations on a Sunday?

I don't think any other ships will be in port with us if that matters.

Thanks!

Based on my experiences as a visitor & resident, I think those are your best options. :D

When I've driven to Hana early on a weekend day (particularly early on Sunday) the traffic was lighter probably because most visitors arrive & depart on weekends. It can be the same thing at beaches that attract many visitors although beaches where locals can spend the day & BBQ are generally busier on weekends.

But since you won't be able to go early on Sunday then I'd recommend leaving as early as possible on Monday morning. Since many go to sites on the way to Hana, you may consider driving to your furthest destination & make stops returning to the ship to have fewer people at each stop.

Based on my experiences as a visitor & resident, I think those are your best options. :D

When I've driven to Hana early on a weekend day (particularly early on Sunday) the traffic was lighter probably because most visitors arrive & depart on weekends. It can be the same thing at beaches that attract many visitors although beaches where locals can spend the day & BBQ are generally busier on weekends.

But since you won't be able to go early on Sunday then I'd recommend leaving as early as possible on Monday morning. Since many go to sites on the way to Hana, you may consider driving to your furthest destination & make stops returning to the ship to have fewer people at each stop.

Thank you so much! Now - to start to detailed planning. :eek: