women's plus size clothing on HAL?? or near San Diego port

creel5857

one last question for one of our travel companions who has had bad luck on last 2 cruises with luggage being lost with airlines and NEVER making it to ship before departure......enough distress that it almost made her decline another cruise. We are scheduled on San Diego to Ft Lauderdale cruise through panama canal . I understand her embarrassment and concern as she has been through chemo/radio twice in her life and both times have left her larger than normal.....3xl right now. Can anyone advise if the HAL ships carry any clothing for women in a size as large as 3xl.......or if not, since we are leaving from San Diego if there are clothing shops near the port that might accommodate that size with some last minute shopping. Appreciate your responses

Very near the ship dock is a shopping center, maybe 2-3 blocks with a Nordstrom and I think a Macy's. I am also plus size and nothing on the ship so San Diego is your best bet. I really don't know what I would do if my luggage was lost as any ship would not have my clothing size or for my 6'4 spouse.

I live on n San Diego actually Encinitas up the coast. Horten Plaza is the shopping mall and from the port it is more than 2-3 blocks. There is a Lane Bryant which would be perfect for her and yes Nordstroms. My suggestion is have a travel bag that you carry on any lane with extra clothing just in case. Also travel a day or so earlier and hopefully all your luggage is intact. You can always go to Horton Plaza only IF!!!

Good luck and enjoy our wonderful city prior to cruise!

Denise:)

I live on n San Diego actually Encinitas up the coast. Horten Plaza is the shopping mall and from the port it is more than 2-3 blocks. There is a Lane Bryant which would be perfect for her and yes Nordstroms. My suggestion is have a travel bag that you carry on any lane with extra clothing just in case. Also travel a day or so earlier and hopefully all your luggage is intact. You can always go to Horton Plaza only IF!!!

Good luck and enjoy our wonderful city prior to cruise!

Great advice. Perfect. :) If there is a Macy;s they usually have at least a small department of large size clothing. I hope the lady won't needd to shop but hopefully this will put her mind at easet while she travels until she sees her suitcase, arrive.

Great advice. Perfect. :) If there is a Macy;s they usually have at least a small department of large size clothing. I hope the lady won't needd to shop but hopefully this will put her mind at easet while she travels until she sees her suitcase, arrive.

Love you so much Sails!!!!!!

Such a mentor to me with all your posts! Yes Macy's is there also!

Please tell your friend to be sure to pack a couple of outfits (including undies) in her carry on in zip-lock bags with the air squeezed out. And don't worry that they will wrinkle; wrinkles will be the least of her worries at that point. That way, she'll be sure to have at least a couple of things to wear in the event her luggage doesn't take the same route as she does. I know the feeling of arriving at your destination and not having luggage - ours caught up to us on day 3 of the cruise - and have learned how to pack a carry-on with clothes that can carry me through.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

thanks for all the replies......I have had this problem myself and did have luggage catch up on one trip (Alaska) but since this is leaving west coast and going all the way to east coast I figured any lost luggage would not even be sent. Yes she will pack a carry on but we also knew she would be taking several meds in carry on and the trip is over 2 weeks so just wont have too much space. We are going 1 day early so maybe we will be ok......but again, it helps relieve her stress to know what is near by.

thanks for all the replies......I have had this problem myself and did have luggage catch up on one trip (Alaska) but since this is leaving west coast and going all the way to east coast I figured any lost luggage would not even be sent. Yes she will pack a carry on but we also knew she would be taking several meds in carry on and the trip is over 2 weeks so just wont have too much space. We are going 1 day early so maybe we will be ok......but again, it helps relieve her stress to know what is near by.

Good girl traveling 1 day early' I hope all goes well!!! I know what it's like to go on a trip and lost luggage!! 2013 British Airways out of San Fransisco to London. Terror threat out of London no take on lotions or anything!! Remember? Awful time but we went on 4 hours late got to London to transfer to Paris!! In Paris no bags😔 Lost???!

Ended up 2 months on vacation having to buy everything including luggage!!! Long story short 3 months later on our Thanksgiving we received our bags which never made it on our destination! Left with hundreds of bags on the tarmac in London due to the Terrorist problems!!!

So I do understand not getting your luggage!

Please enjoy a wonderful cruise!

one last question for one of our travel companions who has had bad luck on last 2 cruises with luggage being lost with airlines and NEVER making it to ship before departure......enough distress that it almost made her decline another cruise. We are scheduled on San Diego to Ft Lauderdale cruise through panama canal . I understand her embarrassment and concern as she has been through chemo/radio twice in her life and both times have left her larger than normal.....3xl right now. Can anyone advise if the HAL ships carry any clothing for women in a size as large as 3xl.......or if not, since we are leaving from San Diego if there are clothing shops near the port that might accommodate that size with some last minute shopping. Appreciate your responses

The limited clothes on board ship are made on the smaller side. Even my small mum has to take a Large t-shirt. Good luck with San Diego.

I can't really speak to ladieswear on board, but I can verify that on past cruises that the shops seem to sell menswear for skinny men who pretty much don't go on cruises lol. Seriously...Tommy Bahama in XS to XL might be great ashore, but we sailing fatties need bigger! I've literally never seen a fellow passenger who could fit in those small sizes, yet that is all they offer aboard

Even though we fly in at least one day before we split 1/2 our clothes between two suitcases so if one is lost hopefully the other makes it and we each have some clothes. I also carry on at least a set of clothes and always a bathing suit. It would be almost impossible to find a swim suit last minute.

Even though we fly in at least one day before we split 1/2 our clothes between two suitcases so if one is lost hopefully the other makes it and we each have some clothes. I also carry on at least a set of clothes and always a bathing suit. It would be almost impossible to find a swim suit last minute.

We do the same - that way we still have a few outfits and aren't left having to purchase everything.

Love you so much Sails!!!!!!

Such a mentor to me with all your posts! Yes Macy's is there also!

Denise, you are such a lovely person., I could feel for that lady and understand her conc erns. PLEASE let us know after the cruise, that her suit case arrived safely and the only shoppingf she did was to treat herself to a few new items she could enjoy wearing on her cruise......... Juts because she wanted to and not because she needed to.

Hope all have a wonderful cruise.

We do the same - that way we still have a few outfits and aren't left having to purchase everything.

I always split our clothes between all suitcases. We never hd a his and a hers suitcase. If wse happened to have thre bags, all three had some things for each of us packed in eaddch. change for undies, clean, shirt, jerseys, cchange of shoes etcs.... I knew I WOULD be a very pooor sport if dh's suit case arrived and mine did not so I never took the chance one would have their clothes and the other would have none..

Nordstrom in Horton Plaza is closed. Macy's is fairly small in Horton Plaza. I don't know if there are any dedicated Plus size shops there. Fashion Valley Mall is 6-7 miles from the cruise pier. You can Uber there and back. It's a fairly large mall. They recently started to bring in higher-end stores, but there are still some large department stores that are reasonably priced such as Macy's, JCP, and Nordstrom.

In Mission Valley Mall (near FV), there is a Target and Nordstrom Rack which are even less expensive.

there is a lane Bryant within 20 min of the port....worse case scenario you can take a taxi.

I always pack a swimsuit, cover-up (usually more of a sundress style and black that can also be worn at night for dinner) , a few pairs of underwear and a few t-shirts and shorts in my carryon. I have heard that HAL is really good at doing laundry quickly for people who have not received luggage.

thank you to everyone for your comments and kindness......she is certainly putting into place many of these suggestions as she has learned the hard way to at least have a few in carry on.......and as noted we do fly in a day ahead......and in fact I am putting an outfit of hers in my carry on because I can pick up something somewhere easier than she can......so appreciative for both factual information and kindness on this website ......we are not really discussing it but we know this could be her last trip and she is a trooper and wants to go since it has been planned well over a year.......thanks to all!!!

One of us always takes a roll-aboard suitcase - as everyone shares - with clothes and vitals for both. On our cruise last week, the best "share" we heard was someone whose suitcase never came and when everyone on cruise critic heard about it at the meet and greet - everyone volunteered the gift of extra clothing, bathroom supplies, makeup etc and disaster (generally) averted!

In SD is the "Fashion Valley Mall" and there is a JC Penny there, and I know that they have a "woman's size" section there. While I don't shop in that section there it seems to be very large..and it is available via the SD Trolley if you don't have transport in SD. And as suggested "Horton Plaza" is also available...but TBH Penny's is probably less expensive than some of the stores there. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!! LuAnn