Internet charges

stephenp

Exorbitant!! I don't know why anyone bothers paying that much for a below average service...Just my opinion;p

Simon

First, it is not below average service. It is truly high speed and RCI is the only cruise line that has it through it's own designated satellite. You can Face time, Skype, watch movies, stream music, VOIP calls, etc.

Second, it is very important to some people to be able to be in contact with loved ones back home or sometimes it's a matter of not being able to take a week long vacation without being able to check in to work. In our case, we travel with a group of people and it is very helpful keeping in touch with each other - we can text and call each other for meet-ups and coordinating our time.

Third, while I agree it could be priced better for all passengers, as Diamond Plus members we get 2 free days of internet or $59.90 off of the price- that's for all cruise lengths.

I know that some people like not being able to be contacted while on a cruise but that's not me. My husband and I both had/have elderly parents and it was always my fear that something would happen while we were gone. Calling ship-to-shore was always very expensive and not practical.

I love having the option of having the high speed internet and I use it. It was long over due in the cruise industry and I think the other cruise lines need to get onboard - pun intended!

Edited by Cruisin2success

Bob,

Do you know if I have a phone and a tablet can I turn off one device and turn on another under the 1 device price or do I need to pay for both devices?

Or can I connect my phone and make my phone a hotspot and connect my other devise to my phone?

Thanks

Alan

Bob,

Do you know if I have a phone and a tablet can I turn off one device and turn on another under the 1 device price or do I need to pay for both devices?

Or can I connect my phone and make my phone a hotspot and connect my other devise to my phone?

Thanks

Alan

A one device plan is as many devices as you want, just one device at a time. You do not have to power the device not in use off, you just need to log off which you can do easily by going to logoff.com in a browser window.

Bob,

Thanks

Alan

You can use any number of different devices, but only one at a time. You should disconnect and not just turn off. Disconnect by going to logout.com on the web browser.

You cannot make your phone a hotspot unless it is getting internet via cellular.

First, it is not below average service. It is truly high speed and RCI is the only cruise line that has it through it's own designated satellite.

Third, while I agree it could be priced better for all passengers, as Diamond Plus members we get 2 free days of internet or $59.90 off of the price- that's for all cruise lengths.

!

O3B, the internet provider does not have designated sat for RCCL.

The D+ discount is $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like I said, just my opinion! I just got off Anthem where I used my 'free' Diamond days on the internet, basically to check in for flight home ( I try not to use my phone at all on holiday). When I use my phone at home, check in takes about a minute. On the ship, when I eventually found a good enough signal, it took over 30mins. That was using my 'free voucher ', otherwise it would be $20 for the day. I get my complete phone service for a month for less than that at home (inc 4G internet)...that's why , in my opinion, its exorbitant.

Simon

Like I said, just my opinion! I just got off Anthem where I used my 'free' Diamond days on the internet, basically to check in for flight home ( I try not to use my phone at all on holiday). When I use my phone at home, check in takes about a minute. On the ship, when I eventually found a good enough signal, it took over 30mins. That was using my 'free voucher ', otherwise it would be $20 for the day. I get my complete phone service for a month for less than that at home (inc 4G internet)...that's why , in my opinion, its exorbitant.

Simon

Well like you said, you wouldn't...didn't, pay for it... Yes my cell is cheaper at home also, but on a ship isn't at home. I sail 40+ days a yr on Royal and 99% never have problem online.

O3B, the internet provider does not have designated sat for RCCL.

The D+ discount is $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told they leased a satellite and that they are the only ones that had this option for a limited time (Not sure when the lease ends).

Also, I called the Crown & Anchor Desk because I have 3 cruises coming up and I couldn't remember the discount. I thought it was 2 free days but they told me the dollar amount was $59.90. Now that I think about it, I have no idea where that number would come from :rolleyes:.

So I just called again and of course I got a different answer. For Diamond + members it is either 2 free days or 30% off. That applies to any cruise length and either the Surf package or the Surf and Stream package. Pinnacle members get 40% off.

I was told they leased a satellite and that they are the only ones that had this option for a limited time (Not sure when the lease ends). ... .

I don't see how this works with the O3b system. The O3b system consists of several different satellites moving overhead all the time. There are no stationary satellites (relative to a single point on the equator) like the other internet services. It does not make sense that they could lease a satellite in the O3b system.

I do know that in late August on Grandeur, there was a lack of internet for several hours one evening.

Someone who asked was told by an officer that it was due to satellite position. So not a single geo sync sat.

So I just called again and of course I got a different answer. For Diamond + members it is either 2 free days or 30% off. That applies to any cruise length and either the Surf package or the Surf and Stream package. Pinnacle members get 40% off.

You got the wrong answer even the second time. Those discounts are for the drink package not VOOM. It's $40 off for D+ and Ps get it free for the length of the cruise.