Need help planning means of transportation Rome-Naples

Our ship will be docking at the end of our cruise in Civitavecchia. We are going to spend 3 days post cruise in Ischia (near Capri). Seems the easiest way to do this would be taking train to Napels from Civitacchia, & flying home from Naples. Problem is, I only want to fly non-stop & Naples to Newark doesn't exisit, so I will need to return back after the 3 days to Rome.

My plan is to travel to Rome Airport from Civitavecchia, and leave our large pieces of luggage in locker or whatever facilities there are for this purpose. We would then need to get to Naples, and use the ferry to Ischia.

Is the train system the best option? How much time would I need to allow for all this travel? Best type of pass to purchase?

Anyone have experience with luggage storage at Rome airport? How about train station in Rome..is luggage storage available there?

thanks!

At Rome Central Station (Termini) is baggage storage available.

To be honest:

I would rent a car in Civitavecchia and drive my self all the way down along side of the coast (Positano, Amalfi) etc. and would enjoy the ride with the car.

Save the problem with the storage (= trunk),

transfers in Roma Termini.

It's easier.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Maja,

I agree with Heinbloed that if I were making this trip, I would drive. However, my husband and I have driven several times in Italy and are comfortable with this prospect. You are able to drive the car onto the ferry to Ischia from Naples. I believe it costs about 30 euros fare for the car, in addition to the ferry fare for the passengers. It might be nice to have a car to explore the island.

However, the train system is very efficient. We spent a week in Rome last year and took a day trip to Naples (to visit Pompeii) and used the train. We used the Eurostar train, which was a comfortable 90 minute ride. The Italian IC train takes a little more than 2 hours.

I think either way will work well for you.

Enjoy your time in Ischia!

We rented a car this last April to drive from Rome (airport) to Sorrento - big mistake! The drive to Naples was boring and the Amalfi drive was narrow, crowded and infested with impatient Italian drivers - no fun for tourists.

Instead, I would recommend the train to Naples. From there, trains are plentiful and cheap to Sorrento. We took a local bus to Amalfi - we both got to see the scenery and marvel at the (professional) bus driver's skill at negotiating the traffic. From Amalfi (or Naples), you can catch ferries to Capri and other ports in the Gulf of Naples. Trains, buses and ferries are relatively inexpensive.

I cannot give you advice about the luggage storage because I don't know. However, I did see many people with suitcases on the trains and busses we took.

Whatever you decided, I hope you enjoy the Amalfi coast as much as we did - it's a wonderful part of Italy!

We rented a car this last April to drive from Rome (airport) to Sorrento - big mistake! The drive to Naples was boring and the Amalfi drive was narrow, crowded and infested with impatient Italian drivers - no fun for tourists.

Wow. I would agree that the drive to Naples is a bit boring (especially if you stay on the Autostrada), but South of Naples it can be a lot of fun with a car. Its easy to make stops in places like Herculanium, Pompeii or even drive over the Mt Vesuvius. As to driving on the Amalfi Coast, we are always tourists, but we love driving on this stretch of road. Dealing with the Italian drivers (crazy but very skilled) is half the fun. The SITA bus (this is the line that runs the buses on the Amalfi Drive) is fun, but in season these buses can be very crowded (standing room only) and its not uncommon for them to fill a scheduled bus which leaves you standing for 30 -45 min waiting in queue for the next bus.

Archived