Potential Solution for MDR/DD issue

We all know that some people love the choices with the new Dynamic Dining. Also we know that some people love the MDR style of traditional cruise dining. I think what RCI could do as far as dynamic dining to find the happy medium would be to eliminate 1 DD restaurant and have that space used as a "MDR" style restaurant. At reservation time we would choose either DD or MDR style. Once the 400(x2 for two seatings) or so MDR style seats are taken, then that's it and DD is the only choice. That would allow for MDR fans and DD fans to be happy on the same boat.

We all know that some people love the choices with the new Dynamic Dining. Also we know that some people love the MDR style of traditional cruise dining. I think what RCI could do as far as dynamic dining to find the happy medium would be to eliminate 1 DD restaurant and have that space used as a "MDR" style restaurant. At reservation time we would choose either DD or MDR style. Once the 400(x2 for two seatings) or so MDR style seats are taken, then that's it and DD is the only choice. That would allow for MDR fans and DD fans to be happy on the same boat.

That is what they had, but it was MTD instead of DD.......they didn't like that, so made it all DD. Maybe it will sort itself out in time to please most of the people.:D

I feel if they would just make the menu rotational in the restaurants people would be a lot happier. Not necessarily the MDR, but just some variety. IMO ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has been my idea all along. and Royal would be able to prevent a lot of complaints.

The complimentary restaurants are Silk, Chic, American Icon, Grande, and Coastal Kitchens. CK is for suites only and Grande is always formal. On Oasis/Allure, the complimentary restaurants are Silk, Grande, American Icon, and Coastal Kitchens. Which restaurant on which class would you suggest swapping for a MDR?

RCI has decided that DD is the way to attract new cruisers who are not interested in the traditional dining style. Why should they dilute the DD experience and undermine their strategy?

RCI has decided that DD is the way to attract new cruisers who are not interested in the traditional dining style. Why should they dilute the DD experience and undermine their strategy?

Because they will lose a lot of old customers who prefer to have the same wait staff every night.

We will see how it works out. Does it spread to the smaller ships? I hope not.

Because they will lose a lot of old customers who prefer to have the same wait staff every night.

I don't think enough will leave to cause any financial impact on the company.

It is also on very few ships a will be trickled out slowly so by then, most will get used to it I'd think.

Plenty of ships to choose from that do not have it so many ships for those that want the old style.

We will see how it works out. Does it spread to the smaller ships? I hope not.

The problem is RCI would not have done this without doing a bunch of research which they believe will attract many more customers than they lose. Subtracting one dining room undermines this strategy.

BTW, which dining room would you remove to replace with a MDR?

I would probably replace American Icon or Chic. The menu items from the replaced restaurant could be incorporated into the pseudo-MDR.

FWIW, I had no problems with the Dynamic Dining on the Quantum 12/1 Cruise. I know there were a lot of people that did. A lot of these people were people who had been cruising for the last 30 years or more. I have only been cruising for the last three years, but I like both styles (MDR & DD).

I agree with the previous poster that RCI wouldn't have made the change if it wasn't a)financial beneficial to them; b) bring more customers. I was just thinking of a solution that could potentially make everybody happy.

I feel if they would just make the menu rotational in the restaurants people would be a lot happier. Not necessarily the MDR, but just some variety. IMO ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You know that the DD venues will change their menus once on a 7 night cruise, correct?

You do know that RCI does not perceive DD to be a problem but instead a leap forward. Highly doubtful that they are looking to change or modify anything.

You do know that RCI does not perceive DD to be a problem but instead a leap forward. Highly doubtful that they are looking to change or modify anything.

Agreed. Royals feelings on DD:

As leaders in innovation, Royal Caribbean International is reimagining dining at sea with the launch of Dynamic

Dining aboard the Quantum class of ships. This revolutionary program also will be introduced to the Oasis

Class, the world’s largest and most innovative class of cruise ships, during their upcoming scheduled dry docks.

Dynamic Dining is a strategic initiative for Royal Caribbean and based on the positive response from our

guests, it is our intention to implement this program across as many of our ships as possible, as part of our

Royal Advantage program — our ongoing commitment to offer the best experience in the industry to our

guests.

The problem is RCI would not have done this without doing a bunch of research which they believe will attract many more customers than they lose. Subtracting one dining room undermines this strategy.

Ah, yes, research.

There's a poster who works for a cruise line and says his employer, (never says which line), spends millions on market reserach every year to determine what their customers want today as well as in 10, even 20 years. He says he is in awe of the accuracy of their predictions.

I have no doubt Royal Caribbean employs the same kind of seers doing the same kind of target customer research.

I also agree with you on RC wanting to attract new customers. I worked in marketing in the ski industry and it was all about attracting new blood. They knew they had the "old timers", not necessarily old in years but the ones who were loyal and bought season passes....they were already hooked.

The menu items from the replaced restaurant could be incorporated into the pseudo-MDR.

RCI could have adopted the dynamic dining menus without spending millions on new dining rooms, training, etc. The demographic they hope to attract is simply not interested in traditional MDR experience. All the things that some like about traditional MDR ie, same table, same people, same time, same waitstaff, two formal nights, etc,. turns them off. Don't expect RCI to adapt dynamic dining to accommodate the traditional cruiser.

The demographic they hope to attract is simply not interested in traditional MDR experience. All the things that some like about traditional MDR ie, same table, same people, same time, same waitstaff, two formal nights, etc,. turns them off. Don't expect RCI to adapt dynamic dining to accommodate the traditional cruiser.

I agree. My parents went on their first cruise this past March. While my mom LOVED being served every night and chatting with tablemates, my dad preferred the variety of the WJ. I think my dad also didn't like having a set time for dinner, but wanted to go when he was hungry. Sometimes he was more tired than hungry, especially after our port days when we had very active excursions.

I think it's somewhat laughable that people around here really believe they have an "idea" or "solution" that Royal hasn't come up with. Are people really that clueless?

We're talking about a multi-billion dollar empire. They've got more consultants and experts evaluating every aspect of the market than you can imagine. They don't just sit around the table and "come up" with an idea. It's studied, researched, and modeled exhaustively. They know how much it's going to cost, how it will affect work flow, crowd flow, and about a thousand other details that none of us can possibly comprehend.

So say "I don't care for Dynamic Dining" (even though hardly anyone has actually experienced it yet) all you want. But to sit here and think you've got a better idea is basically ignorant.

RCI could have adopted the dynamic dining menus without spending millions on new dining rooms, training, etc.

Actually, I have a feeling the design of the Quantum saved a few $$ by not having a huge open 2-3 deck MDR. Eveything else would have cost the same. Based on the maiden TA, I doubt they spent a lot of money on training.

The Oasis dry dock changes did cost some money, but the ship was ready for a bit of an upgrade so in the grand scheme of things, the cost of DD itself was probably small.

We were not unhappy with our DD experiences on Quantum, but as far as your comment about RCI having done a "bunch" of research, I can only remind you of "New Coke". Research can only do so much and is sometimes trumped by actual experience. If RCI finds that their "research" doesn't produce the desired results, one can only hope that they will follow Coca-Cola's example. Actually I don't think that will be necessary and that the increased number of complimentary restaurants, all with special menus, will successfully replace the main dining rooms on most of their ships.

We were not unhappy with our DD experiences on Quantum, but as far as your comment about RCI having done a "bunch" of research, I can only remind you of "New Coke". Research can only do so much and is sometimes trumped by actual experience. If RCI finds that their "research" doesn't produce the desired results, one can only hope that they will follow Coca-Cola's example. Actually I don't think that will be necessary and that the increased number of complimentary restaurants, all with special menus, will successfully replace the main dining rooms on most of their ships.

New Coke accomplished exactly what Coca-Cola sought. It was basically just a ruse to give them the opportunity to change from sucrose to high fructose corn syrup. When the returned to "Coke Classic" few people noticed that one subtle change from the true original recipe. Coca-Cola did exactly what they wanted to.

New Coke accomplished exactly what Coca-Cola sought. It was basically just a ruse to give them the opportunity to change from sucrose to high fructose corn syrup. When the returned to "Coke Classic" few people noticed that one subtle change from the true original recipe. Coca-Cola did exactly what they wanted to.

Sure they did!:rolleyes:

When I booked my Anthem cruise last night and read about Dynamic Dining, I thought it sounded wonderful. I also thought, "Oh, I bet there are many on CC who don't like this!"

When we went on our first cruise in 1993, it had the traditional MDR experience, 2 formal night, etc. That was an awesome trip and I remember thinking that I didn't want ANYTHING to change about the cruise experience after that. We went on several others with the MDR experience and, to be honest, it got old. The most fun MDR experiences for us were the two times we sailed with big groups and knew everyone at our table. The others, well, people were nice but rarely did we have much in common and never did I eagerly look forward to dinners with them.

I found over the years, as lines started offering more flexible options, I started enjoying dinner so much more. We make friends about the ship and with the flexible options we could go to dinner with them! Usually, those were the people we had things in common with, not people that we were randomly assigned a dinner table with. Dinners became much more fun. I also don't like a set time every day. Some days, I want an early dinner, sometimes I want a later dinner. The flexibility of time is so nice! The old way, some days, we would come back to the ship STARVING but had late seating - oh, so we would get a "snack". You know how well that works when you are really hungry. We would end up going to dinner later already full. On the other hand, when we had early seating, we felt rushed on port days. In the old days, if you didn't go to your MDR seating, you were relegated to the buffet. No one ever went hungry but if you wanted to be seated, waited on and not pay an extra fee, you had to be at your MDR seating. I am glad those days are over.

I also like that there are no longer ship wide "formal" nights. People who want to get dressed up and be formal can go to the formal restaurant. The rest of us don't have to but we can still go to a nice restaurant for dinner - we don't have to be relegated to the buffet.

I realize that many who have been cruising for many many years prefer the old way and may resent the lines trying to appeal to the younger tastes but, the cruise line does have to stay in business. Like all other businesses, they have to change with the times to stay alive. Believe me, if the vast majority of cruisers don't like Dynamic Dining and take their business elsewhere, they will look to make some changes. The reason they are in business is to make a profit.