Anyone Use Their iPhone 6+ for Underwater Pics

jtwanabe

Just wondered if anyone had ever used their iPhone 6+ for taking under

water pics when snorkeling? I see that there are cases out there that

advertise that they can protect your phone. Would this be a fools erron?

Anyone ever do that? :eek:

JT

Edited by jtwanabe

I'd buy a cheap underwater camera before I put a $800 phone in a bag. Especially concerned about any depth.

OTOH. I have a DryPac alligator bag that I use when snorkeling. Qtips stay dry in that thing.

We have used life proof cases on our iPhones for the last two years. We love them. Make sure you do the leak test when you get the case (we always do another leak test right before the trip) and you should be good.

Edited to add... Make sure you get an authentic life proof. I only trust the life proof website. There are too many knockoffs.

Edited by michiganredrose

As much as I love my iPhone for its amazing computing, internet connection and convenience of photos/sharing etc.....

Food for thought a cheap 90 dollar camera will likely match the iPhone or at least 80% of the output. Will be much less convenient to share/transfer. In the very very unlikely chance there is a leak for your cheap waterproof camera you only lose the camera and that is it. Even the SD card is likely recoverable after drying out.

Your iPhone is trashed.. good luck extracting anything....

Good luck

I can't wait to use my 6plus underwater on the Freedom in a few weeks in my Lifeproof case. Have also used my 5s underwater snorkeling. We will use a go pro as well. Make sure you buy Lifeproof authentic and do the test like mentioned. Disposable cameras take terrible pictures in comparison.

Edited by steph7021

I bought one of those waterproof bags for my phone. I got it for $8 at Meijer. I plan on testing it before taking it snorkeling, don't worry. And my phone is insured...

DH killed his iphone last summer when his kayak capsized and the ziplok bag it was in just didn't cut it. Hoping this bag will be better.

Edited by bassclarinetgrl

I bought one of those waterproof bags for my phone. I got it for $8 at Meijer. I plan on testing it before taking it snorkeling, don't worry. And my phone is insured...

DH killed his iphone last summer when his kayak capsized and the ziplok bag it was in just didn't cut it. Hoping this bag will be better.

Hmmm, I would not trust a bag. Good luck though

All my iphones have been in snow, ice, hail, rain, sleet, ocean splashing in zodiacs, and under water in the Sea to Summit pouches

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/product-category/outdoor/waterproof-accessory-cases/

Photos and videos come out lovely and clear. And they have straps and caribeener clips to ensure they stay attached to your body somewhere. (also hung it outside a helicopter !).

Most recently just back from Antarctica with the iphone 6+ which performed in minus 37 celcius wind chill fabulously. Actually it went cover free for "snow, ice, hail, rain, sleet, ocean splashing in zodiacs" and proved to be exceptionally sturdy and weather/water resistant.

My waterproof testing method for any new pouch is to place a piece of paper inside then put the pouch in a sink of water - weighing it down with something. Leave it for an hour or so.

If the piece of paper is remotely damp - I return the item for a refund and my phone does not go in it.

All my iphones have been in snow, ice, hail, rain, sleet, ocean splashing in zodiacs, and under water in the Sea to Summit pouches

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/product-category/outdoor/waterproof-accessory-cases/

Photos and videos come out lovely and clear. And they have straps and caribeener clips to ensure they stay attached to your body somewhere. (also hung it outside a helicopter !).

Most recently just back from Antarctica with the iphone 6+ which performed in minus 37 celcius wind chill fabulously. Actually it went cover free for "snow, ice, hail, rain, sleet, ocean splashing in zodiacs" and proved to be exceptionally sturdy and weather/water resistant.

My waterproof testing method for any new pouch is to place a piece of paper inside then put the pouch in a sink of water - weighing it down with something. Leave it for an hour or so.

If the piece of paper is remotely damp - I return the item for a refund and my phone does not go in it.

How many times did it go from -37 to room temperature, that will be some temp cycle as we call in in the industry. Hopefully you don't do it too often and upgrade often. Give the iPhone formfactor and the reverse engineering I've seen should be interesting to see how your product weathers say two years of that ... ;)

How many times did it go from -37 to room temperature, that will be some temp cycle as we call in in the industry. Hopefully you don't do it too often and upgrade often. Give the iPhone formfactor and the reverse engineering I've seen should be interesting to see how your product weathers say two years of that ... ;)

All my iphones have been to Antarctica and gone from cabin temp to out on the ice daily without issue. Have taken the 4, 5 and 6plus - so far. Each for a month at a time. The 6plus has proven to be the most hardy - the others were always in their waterproof cases.

When I say bag, this is what I meant, not like a ziplok. I like that it floats too. They have similar on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J2G2XTY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1428761730&sr=8-3&keywords=underwater+case+for+iphone+6&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=511GIjAgd-L&ref=plSrch

ImageUploadedByForums1428761798.038846.jpg.3e4cb4fd31c1639c177eb5c9ae1b0758.jpg

Edited by bassclarinetgrl

All my iphones have been to Antarctica and gone from cabin temp to out on the ice daily without issue. Have taken the 4, 5 and 6plus - so far. Each for a month at a time. The 6plus has proven to be the most hardy - the others were always in their waterproof cases.

Glad that the stresses and TC that we do work.. if you only knew..

I too take my iPhone many places for real pictures always a "camera" but no debate the iPhone and other smartphone are so good and convenient I can understand why many have chosen them as their main camera, much to the chagrin of Kodak, Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc. etc. Soon only two will be there and Sony to manufacture the sensors :eek:

Glad that the stresses and TC that we do work.. if you only knew..

I too take my iPhone many places for real pictures always a "camera" but no debate the iPhone and other smartphone are so good and convenient I can understand why many have chosen them as their main camera, much to the chagrin of Kodak, Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc. etc. Soon only two will be there and Sony to manufacture the sensors :eek:

Other peoples smartphones were actually coming up with warning messages saying "Too cold - take inside" ! I thought that was mastercard priceless.

I still take a proper Canon on my trips - but when its snowing hard or the sea is splashing into the zodiac because a whale is breaching 10 inches away - that stays in a bag and the phone comes out to play. The quality of the camera in the iphone 6 has meant I have been able to produce large canvas prints out of some shots - and its GPS tracks where every shot is taken so when loaded into iphoto - the places map reproduces an exact route of my voyage - even metre by metre in zodiacs.

• 3 weeks later...