Rental car -Miami

purplemusik

I can't seem to find the area where I used to ask questions about parking/etc at certain ports so excuse me if this is in the wrong area.

My family lives in central FL and we were thinking about renting a 12 passenger van to drive to Miami for our cruise ( that way we didn't have to pay to park seperate vechiles and we could all drive down together ). Is this possible? We've always lived so close to port that we usually just drive and park or get dropped off so I've never paid attention to where the rental places were. If there are rental places, do they drive you to the port when you are finished? And what about when you get back( in order to pick up your rental car again )?

Any help would be appreciated!

We have been looking at rentals in Miami as well. I know that there are locations in downtown Miami for Hertz and Avis that service the Port. You should be able to (but don't quote me - call first to make sure) rent the vehicle from your home area, drive to Miami and drop it off at the downtown location for no drop charge (As I remember Florida does not have "drop" charges but it has been awhile since I have rented a car in Florida so please check that). They will then shuttle you to the Port. After you return from your cruise they will pick you up and take you back to their rental car office. There could be a bit of a line to get your return vehicle (it might even be the one you came over with) but have patience and you should be OK. I would say take a cab over to the rental office which might allow you to beat the crowds a bit but you have a large party and I don't think that would be cost effective.

The downtown offices for Hertz and Avis have limited hours so make sure you check what they are if you book (the websites will help you regarding this). Your location for drop off and pick up will be the "Port of Miami" and you can locate and find what the "codes" for that location are on the rental car sites.

Hope that helps...

Some of the rental car companies that have offices at the Miami airport and will shuttle to the Port of Miami. When your cruise is finished just take the shuttle back to the airport to get your rental car.

In July, we went with Dollar at MIA and it was fine. There was a line to get the car but it was a great price so I was patient. You will see the shuttles lined up to pick up cruisers disembarking right at the curb of cruise port. Very easy process.

Because you have a large group, I'd designate one person to be your drop-off guy or girl and leave you all at the port with luggage then do the return and take a shuttle back. Keep in mind, whoever is in the cabin with them will have to wait to check in until they're back.

Look on Kayak for best rental car prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You'd have to go back to the terminal to get a taxi from the curbside, of course you don't have to go back to the port by shuttle. But it will save you $24+tip. It's your call what it most convenient for you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

I do not believe that Herz at MIA has a POM shuttle -- only the downtown Hertz location. NAtional, Alamo & Thrifty (and according to the above, Dollar) offer POM shuttles from their MIA airport location.

If you rent from others with downtown locations, even without a shuttle, a taxi back to POM will only run about $12.

Not sure who is making up your group, but my bet is that 3 standard rentals with 4 passengers each will be cheaper to rent than a 12-person van - especially one way.

Edited by JohninDC

You'd have to go back to the terminal to get a taxi from the curbside, of course you don't have to go back to the port by shuttle. But it will save you $24+tip. It's your call what it most convenient for you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I drop car at Hertz POM site are there taxi's for hire at that location? There are four cruise ships boarding that day.Shuttle could be a long wait.

If I drop car at Hertz POM site are there taxi's for hire at that location? There are four cruise ships boarding that day.Shuttle could be a long wait.

Lots of taxis all over downtown Miami every morning looking for cruise passengers. Or call 305-400-0000 for a yellow cab.

Which of the downtown rental company offices are closest to which hotel(s?) We will be driving over from the west coast of Florida the night before our cruise (in November) and would like to drop off the car with the least hassle (that is to say, I'd prefer not to have to go out to the airport.) The next morning we would take a cab or hotel shuttle to the port.

Maddle

Sixt Downtown is at SE 1st, the first block from the Intercontinental. Open 7am-7pm every day and great service.

Alamo appears to have a counter inside the Intercontinental, no experience with them and probably more limited hours.

Hertz seems to be a block further away from Sixt.

B2, Holiday Inn PoM, Hyatt, Epic, all those downtown hotels are close by.

Sixt Downtown is at SE 1st, the first block from the Intercontinental. Open 7am-7pm every day and great service.

Alamo appears to have a counter inside the Intercontinental, no experience with them and probably more limited hours.

Hertz seems to be a block further away from Sixt.

B2, Holiday Inn PoM, Hyatt, Epic, all those downtown hotels are close by.

So could you tell me if DH drops me at hotel and returns the rental car what would be the closest one and how far of a walk and safe is it to walk to the intercontinental?

seems like everyone said all this stuff is walking distance but that could be a good ways and really how safe is it I looked at the map by sly view and there is nothing I can see real close. All these bad things that has happen down there with homeless and all just really concerned. Thanks in advance,

So could you tell me if DH drops me at hotel and returns the rental car what would be the closest one and how far of a walk and safe is it to walk to the intercontinental?

seems like everyone said all this stuff is walking distance but that could be a good ways and really how safe is it I looked at the map by sly view and there is nothing I can see real close. All these bad things that has happen down there with homeless and all just really concerned. Thanks in advance,

v5eiah.jpg

It's a 5 minute walk, Sixt would be the nearest one. We did not experience any problems when we walked those blocks during daytime.

There's a gas station five blocks up from the PoM bridge/Port Blvd on 1000 Biscayne Blvd for filling up before returning.

Can I take a taxi from the Hertz return site at MIA? Or do we have too go back to the terminal.

You would have to go back to the terminals, but it's very easy: The rental center is connected to the airport terminals by an automated train. The trains shuttle back and forth, and the ride only takes a few minutes.