Roaches in Hotel Room

shoesonfire

After much research and comments from CC travelers, we booked two rooms pre-cruise in October 2014 for the Doubletree Gallery One in FLL. I just read a recent review where the guest complained of roaches in the room. Living in Texas we are aware of these pests, but good exterminating service keeps things like this in check. Is this a common problem in the Fort Lauderdale hotels or is this an isolated problem at Gallery One. We are paying a good rate and expect a clean and comfortable, bug free room. Should we consider changing our reservation? :eek:

I was just at the Doubletree Gallery One in April. The place was spotless and not a bug in site.

I would not hesitate to stay there again.

I don't know what kind of rate you got but this hotel is $108 in October on LMT.

Routine pest control in hotels is industry standard.

Yes, once in a while you may see a bug.

South Florida, just like parts of Texas, are very hot and humid and ideal conditions for Palmetto Bugs (flying roaches).

I wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW, I've lived in South Florida or Southwest Florida for three years and I've seen one Palmetto Bug. However, I also have three cats!

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks to Marie51 and Blue Heron for your comforting comments. I try to read between the lines with reviews, but now and then one like this triggers a little more concern. I would expect all hotels have routine pest control, and of course there is always one or two that may get by, but the word "infested" troubled me a bit more this time.

Glad to hear the hotel was very clean in April and hope we too will find it the same. Yes, we got a good rate of $98 with LMT for end of October. Really looking forward to our stay at Gallery One. :)

Thanks to Marie51 and Blue Heron for your comforting comments. I try to read between the lines with reviews, but now and then one like this triggers a little more concern. I would expect all hotels have routine pest control, and of course there is always one or two that may get by, but the word "infested" troubled me a bit more this time.

Glad to hear the hotel was very clean in April and hope we too will find it the same. Yes, we got a good rate of $98 with LMT for end of October. Really looking forward to our stay at Gallery One. :)

Not sure if this is going to keep your mind at ease but I seriously wouldn't have any concerns about the DoubleTree GAlleryOne. Great hotel, great value and a great location.

As far as roaches, the incident seems very isolated. Hotels definitely have pest control, however you can't control what guests may bring into the hotel on a previous stay. For all you know the previous guest could have a roach problem at home and the bug made its way out at the hotel. Also it could of easily been a Palmetto Bug and that just happens here in Florida. I get 1 in my house every year . . . those suckers are big.

But yea, I definitely wouldn't worry about it . . . or spend vacation time worrying about it. It's a really great hotel.

We have stayed at Gallery One 3 times over the past few years and never have seen any type of bug. Staying there again this September for our Carnival Freedom cruise on 9/6.