Second thoughts about stroller

Winemyst

HELP! I'm having second thoughts about my stroller.

We have an uppa baby vista, which I love. I'm worried the back wheels are too wide to get around the ship. DD is super comfortable in the stroller, sleeps in it and it will be great at the ports.

Second option is a cheap umbrella stroller that doesn't recline. But folds up small....

Ahhh I just don't want to bring the big one and be stuck bc we can't use it. DD loves to walk too.

Go with your gut! The wheels on the Vista are still smaller than a wheelchair, so there should be plenty of room on the ship:) Sleeping/naps can be a hard adjustment while traveling (but SO important), if your DD sleeps great in your Vista- Take it!!!

Not really sure what your stroller is, but I vote umbrella- depending on the age of your child. The halls are narrow and although your bigger stroller will probably "fit", it will be akward when other people are walking past you in the hall. Also, getting through the windjammer and pool deck is much easier with the smaller stroller. One final consideration is the room it takes in your cabin- the umbrella stroller was able to fit under the bed or in the closet easily.

Torn...I understand. We left our "regular" stroller at home, big, bulky but she loved it and slept so well in it. We decided to bring a smaller umbrella. We were picky and did spend some for a nicer umbrella (not a WalMart cheap model). We got one that did "recline" a bit, had a great sun cover and a big basket that was on the bottom. It all folded very small and easy. She did sleep in it, It did move very easily in halls with others and fit nicely intot he elevators. It even worked great in port on dirt side walk ways. We lucked out with her liking it. We did use it for 3 weeks at home first so she did have some time to adjust. She was 10 mo old. It is a real tough one. Sister had nothing but trouble with her son and a change at 15 months. But he did not have an at home test period.

The "break in" period at home is a great idea. We did the same when our DD was a baby and while she adapted very well to the change, WE discovered that the first "try" was way too uncomfortable for us (the handles were too short). A test drive in the store seemed "OK", but less than an hours into our first trip with it, it was obvious it was too uncomfortable for us.

Also remember when transiting the hallways - the cleaning carts for the room stewards. You will not be able to get past them easily. The hallways are long so if you are wide and someone comes down with something as wide as you (like a wheelchair or another stroller) one of you will have to back up to a wider section. Also, if you are wide people will have to duck into doorways for you to pass.

oh boy, now I don't know what to do!! We leave soon, so I wouldn't have much of a break in period, if I bought a new stroller.

I don't plan on using the stroller much on board (call me crazy lol). She loves to walk.

Its more for shore excursions. We have a balcony cabin.

If the wheel width is more than 24 inches, the stroller will not fit through a standard cabin door. You will need to fold it and bring it into the cabin for storage. Also keep in mind that the stroller's length (plus adult pushing) could be an issue depending on the size of the elevators and in some of the tighter, more crowded areas. I believe that standard wheelchair widths are between 24 and 27 inches, so that's another frame of reference.

I'm not saying you shouldn't bring the larger one; just mentioning a few things to consider. You should bring what works best for you and be prepared to be flexible with getting around the ship and other passengers. As long as you're considerate of others, they will almost certainly be considerate of you.

beachchick

I would take your regular stroller. Yes it may be cumbersome while on the ship, but it will be so much better for ports. We plan to move through the hallways with our stroller folded up and will likely load DS in it just before or after we exit the ship. You can even load your little one in it in the elevator lobby. I don't mind carrying DS for the length of a hallway, but really want the ability for him to lay down and for us to be able to carry extras in the stroller.

We have been looking at various smaller type strollers (umbrellas with basket & recline) for our grandaughter (she'll be 8months on the cruise in Dec)

There are many to choose from with wide range of prices...some don't look like they would do well on excursions. What brand/style did you use?

Torn...I understand. We left our "regular" stroller at home, big, bulky but she loved it and slept so well in it. We decided to bring a smaller umbrella. We were picky and did spend some for a nicer umbrella (not a WalMart cheap model). We got one that did "recline" a bit, had a great sun cover and a big basket that was on the bottom. It all folded very small and easy. She did sleep in it, It did move very easily in halls with others and fit nicely intot he elevators. It even worked great in port on dirt side walk ways. We lucked out with her liking it. We did use it for 3 weeks at home first so she did have some time to adjust. She was 10 mo old. It is a real tough one. Sister had nothing but trouble with her son and a change at 15 months. But he did not have an at home test period.

We have been looking at various smaller type strollers (umbrellas with basket & recline) for our grandaughter (she'll be 8months on the cruise in Dec)

There are many to choose from with wide range of prices...some don't look like they would do well on excursions. What brand/style did you use?

The Maclaren Triumph. It was a bit but is has been through 9 cruises and 3 children

I agree with the Maclaren. I used a 2nd hand one for my twins for our Med cruise and it was sturdy enough for cobblestones, but light enough to carry up or down stairs when necessary, and comfortable enough that they fell asleep and stayed asleep when they got tired but we kept touring.

Best,

Mia

I brought the City Mini stroller on 3 cruise to date and I was very happy I did - DS was able to sleep/recline. The stroller did not fit in the door to our room but it's ok we just took him out of the stroller and folded it up in the hallway. No other issues.

• 7 months later...

How about an Uppa Baby GLuxe? Very like the Maclaren Triumph, but I believe it reclines further and it has a much bigger canopy! It's been our regular stroller forever (I got so tired of wrangling with my Chicco Cortina). It folds up super small, only weighs 11 pounds, and has a shoulder strap for carrying. I've managed carrying it, my son, and his diaper bag when boarding a bus with very little hassle.

Go with your gut! The wheels on the Vista are still smaller than a wheelchair, so there should be plenty of room on the ship:) Sleeping/naps can be a hard adjustment while traveling (but SO important), if your DD sleeps great in your Vista- Take it!!!

I was thinking this exact same thing! Having a baby that will sleep in a stroller will add so much to your vacation.

This was at the top of the thread...didn't see the orginal posting date.

• 3 months later...

I'm glad to hear you like the Chicco Liteway! I'm going to buy one this week. We have a bugaboo frog which is awesome, but collapses in two parts, which may be difficult to gate check and store in the room. I hope my 2 yo DD will like it!

Archived