Question about Internet access on the Diamond Princess

kitcrazy

I've done some searching for the answer to my questions but I'm still looking ...

We will be on the Diamond Princess in Alaska this July. I will need to purchase Internet access and I am looking at purchasing the $60 package for 120 minutes (100 plus bonus of 20 minutes). Two questions:

1. Do I have to purchase this in advance to get the 20 minute bonus, or can I just purchase it when I arrive on board. My preference is the latter, but I don't want to lose out on the bonus. A Princess CSR mentioned that I might be able to get an even better "deal" if I wait as there are often sales on embarkation day.
  2. Does the time have to be used on one device, or can we switch it around between three devices (as long as only one is using it at a time)?

If anyone has any first-hand insights or information, I'd appreciate it greatly!

I'm currently on the diamond princess in Alaska, and on the princess patter,

They have listed an embarkation Internet special..where if u purchase an Internet time plan you get up to 40 minutes free.

So I think it is better for you to wait to get onboard before buying your Internet minutes.

I've done some searching for the answer to my questions but I'm still looking ...

We will be on the Diamond Princess in Alaska this July. I will need to purchase Internet access and I am looking at purchasing the $60 package for 120 minutes (100 plus bonus of 20 minutes). Two questions:

Do I have to purchase this in advance to get the 20 minute bonus, or can I just purchase it when I arrive on board. My preference is the latter, but I don't want to lose out on the bonus. A Princess CSR mentioned that I might be able to get an even better "deal" if I wait as there are often sales on embarkation day. If you purchase onboard the first day there will be bonus minutes, but they will be half the number of bonus minutes (10 in your case) than if you pre-purchase.

Does the time have to be used on one device, or can we switch it around between three devices (as long as only one is using it at a time)?

If anyone has any first-hand insights or information, I'd appreciate it greatly! The time can be shared on multiple devices, even using it on the ship's Internet Cafe computers if you wish. As you indicated, one device at a time using the same package.

Please note that Internet service is relatively slow (think dial up speeds) and decide if 100 minutes + the bonus will be enough for the length of your cruise.

Purchase your internet time on board.

You can use different devices. I used an ipad in my cabin and also used the internet cafe. The computers in the internet cafe were faster than the ipad in my cabin.

The time starts ticking once you log on. Don't forget to log off properly, otherwise you'll find yourself with no credit left.

Follow the instructions, it's pretty easy, but there is always someone to help in the internet cafe if you have any trouble.

Use your time wisely as it is expensive.

Have fun aboard the Diamond - she is a beautiful ship.

If you purchase the $60 package the first day onboard, you will get 10 bonus minutes, so you are better off purchasing it in advance and getting 20 bonus minutes.

You can use the minutes on multiple devices, just not at one time.

Thanks everyone! I'll purchase in advance then. I think I might even purchase the $80 package then since it gives 190 minutes ... might need it if Internet is slow!

No "IF" about it, the internet is slow.

So exactly how do you log off to make sure your time is not still running? In other words you can't just turn off your computer? Seems strange. 10 days till all aboard on the Golden!

There are multiple ways.

1) Type logout.com (and enter) in the URL window.

or

2) Type 1.1.1.1 (and enter) in the URL window.

or

3) Sometimes you'll get a pop-up window with a button to log out. Hit that when you're done.

So exactly how do you log off to make sure your time is not still running? In other words you can't just turn off your computer? Seems strange. 10 days till all aboard on the Golden!
You can't just turn off your computer since you'll still be logged into your account and using minutes. That's why you need to logout manually.

• 1 year later...

All I can advise you is that I am a retired IT Controller for major International Banks, so I think I know what I am talking about.

The Princess Lines Internet Access is a complete rip off $60 will just about get you a email after a very long time.

I have discused this with them and their reply that ship Internet is very slow. No it is not, it is the bandwidth allocated to that area.

If you like to check it out, go to cruise deals onboard and it is very very fast therefore that defeates their excuse.

This applies to all of the Princess ships. it is geared to obtain the maximum amount of money from you.

All I can advise you is that I am a retired IT Controller for major International Banks, so I think I know what I am talking about.

The Princess Lines Internet Access is a complete rip off $60 will just about get you a email after a very long time.

I have discused this with them and their reply that ship Internet is very slow. No it is not, it is the bandwidth allocated to that area.

If you like to check it out, go to cruise deals onboard and it is very very fast therefore that defeates their excuse.

This applies to all of the Princess ships. it is geared to obtain the maximum amount of money from you.

Like everything else on the ship, Princess is trying to make a profit on internet access. We each have a choice to purchase it or not.

You pulled up a year old thread just to state this?

Hmm... not to take issue with you as you're such an expert but most savvy people download their email, sign off, write and respond to email off-line, re-sign-on and send. At most, using an aggregate of 4-5 minutes of online time only. I do this all the time.

You are right about the bandwidth. However, increasing bandwidth would be exponentially expensive. Plus, (as I'm sure you're aware but didn't mention) the way people use the bandwidth is far more important. If passengers are uploading/downloading photos or images, to using Skype of FaceTime, these are bandwidth hogs. All it takes is a couple of people to ruin connection and speed for everyone else.

IMHO, Princess should block the bandwidth hogs which would greatly improve service for everyone. That said, I've found that early in the morning before 8am and during dinner are the best times to log on. And, don't forget to download your email, respond offline, and send. You'll be a much happier camper.

You are right about the bandwidth. However, increasing bandwidth would be exponentially expensive. Plus, (as I'm sure you're aware but didn't mention) the way people use the bandwidth is far more important. If passengers are uploading/downloading photos or images, to using Skype of FaceTime, these are bandwidth hogs. All it takes is a couple of people to ruin connection and speed for everyone else.

Princess can provide it cheaper, just chooses not to. They are making a lot of money off of the internet.

Some RCCL ships are offering unlimited internet for $99/week.

Edited by Coral

Princess can provide it cheaper, just chooses not to. They are making a lot of money off of the internet.

Isn't RCI using a new satelite technology that is only available in the Caribbean? Princess has no ships there full time.

Of course they can. But there are ways to lessen the pain of current pricing.

I believe the RCCL Internet plans are just on certain ships on certain itineraries in the Caribbean. I read somewhere that they were going with a company with new technology that is launching (or have launched) satellites. It'll be interesting to see if this technology rolls out to other cruise lines other than in a limited region.

Edited by Pam in CA

Isn't RCI using a new satelite technology that is only available in the Caribbean? Princess has no ships there full time.

Carnival has also experimented with unlimited internet.

When Princess first introduced internet, it was .35/minute. The cost has now doubled and I have no doubt Princess is paying less then what they did when they first started offering it. It is definitely a money maker for Princess. For what they are making on internet, they can easily buy more bandwidth if they want. They are just choosing not to.

I am sure it is a matter of time before RCCL (and their vendor) expands the program to other areas and other ships.

--

If you look at this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/19/fast-internet-cruise-ships/1713927/ Europe and Alaska are also on the block for having faster internet for cruise ships.

Edited by Coral

Carnival has also experimented with unlimited internet.

When Princess first introduced internet, it was .35/minute. The cost has now doubled and I have no doubt Princess is paying less then what they did when they first started offering it. It is definitely a money maker for Princess. For what they are making on internet, they can easily buy more bandwidth if they want. They are just choosing not to.

I am sure it is a matter of time before RCCL (and their vendor) expands the program to other areas and other ships.

--

If you look at this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/19/fast-internet-cruise-ships/1713927/ Europe and Alaska are also on the block for having faster internet for cruise ships.

Keep in mind that Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members get an internet credit that for many covers their usage for the cruise. On some cruises this can be 80% of the passengers.

Keep in mind that Platinum and Elite Captain's Circle members get an internet credit that for many covers their usage for the cruise. On some cruises this can be 80% of the passengers.

I realize that. The minutes they provide are pretty minimal when other lines are starting to offer $99/a week unlimited internet. In addition to getting the free internet, I have had to purchase additional minutes which can come close to what RCCL is offering with their unlimited amount.

O3b Networks (who RCCL has partnered with) is a very aggressive company with big companies invested with them (Google, etc..).

I realize that. The minutes they provide are pretty minimal when other lines are starting to offer $99/a week unlimited internet. In addition to getting the free internet, I have had to purchase additional minutes which can come close to what RCCL is offering with their unlimited amount.

O3b Networks (who RCCL has partnered with) is a very aggressive company with big companies invested with them (Google, etc..).

We have always made it thru the cruise using only the Platinum/Elite minutes.

Consider yourself very lucky. I often need to check on family back home and check on work emails. Can't always "escape completely".

Me, too. I'd rather have the Platinum/Elite minutes for free than pay $99 for unlimited. I've never needed more minutes than I use on a cruise and often, have minutes left over. I'd rather "escape (somewhat) completely."

Me, too. I'd rather have the Platinum/Elite minutes for free than pay $99 for unlimited. I've never needed more minutes than I use on a cruise and often, have minutes left over. I'd rather "escape (somewhat) completely."

Are you retired? All of my friends, including myself, are expected to stay in touch with the office while we are on vacation. This is now expected and not voluntary. This can't be done easily on elite minutes. Unlimited internet would make my life a whole lot easier.

Edited by Casey12