An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:50 AM.
Washington DC area
234 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by Moriah
We heard about this dry dock while on board. I wanted to book Alaska next year on Westerdam again, but was told that after the refurbishment she'll be in Europe. Where are you cruising? Westerdam is my favorite ship... I hope she comes back to Alaska the following year. She looked so amazing last week, I can't imagine where the 300 mil. is going!! I wonder if I should be worried about changes...??? I hope this doesn't include adding cabins and fooling around with the Sea View pool... sigh...

Does anyone have information about what is going to be accomplished during next April's drydock?
We will be in Western Mediterranean- Spain, Italy Gilbraltar, france .. Cant wait!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1,083 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I put "cold water please" in the note at the bottom on my last cruise. But even when I haven't in the past I've never had a color bleed problem. I believe they are quite professional launderers.
Washington DC area
234 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by Moriah
I put "cold water please" in the note at the bottom on my last cruise. But even when I haven't in the past I've never had a color bleed problem. I believe they are quite professional launderers.
Thanks. I've heard about nightmares on other ships and that is why some either
1) bring too much
2) wash in the sink real clothes (not talking about lingerie which I always do by hand anyway)

Is there a clothes line?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North Central Florida
3,382 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by draftxhorselover
Thanks. I've heard about nightmares on other ships and that is why some either
1) bring too much
2) wash in the sink real clothes (not talking about lingerie which I always do by hand anyway)

Is there a clothes line?
There is one across the bathtub and also across the shower in the shower-only room [it's a thin cord that attaches permanently to one end and a receptacle that houses the loose end across the longest length of the bathing area]. They will NOT hold much weight, but small, light stuff will dry nicely.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carole

Cruising now: Nope/Nada!

Nieuw Amsterdam - 17-DAY BAHAMAS/E/W CARIBBEAN COLLECTOR HOLIDAY Dec 2017
Rotterdam 7-day WESTERN CARIBBEAN, Jan 2018 [out of Tampa].

Maasdam 7-DAY CANADA & NE DISCOVERY June 2018

Past cruises:
Costa Flavia 1975 - 4 day Bahamas
Sarah - 2005 - 7 day Barge - W&S Netherlands [Road Scholar]
Maasdam Jan 2015 - 10 day Southern Caribbean B2B
Zuiderdam Jan 2015 - 10 day Southern Caribbean & Panama Canal Sunfarer [Road Scholar]
AmaCerto May 2015 - 14 day Amsterdam - Budapest [Road Scholar]
Brilliance otS Nov 2015 - 5 day Western Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 2015 - 7-day Western Caribbean;
Zuiderdam Dec 2015 14-day W/E Caribbean Holiday Collector
Oosterdam Jan 2016 21-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer/Wayfarer
Westerdam Mar 2016 21-day Panama Canal Fort Lauderdale to San Diego; B2B
Westerdam Apr 2016 35-day Circle Hawai`i, Tahiti & Marqueses: San Diego to Seattle [Road Scholar]
Prinsendam May 2016 16-day Azores and Normandy Explorer - FLL to IJmuiden [Amsterdam] Last HAL ship out
Avalon Tranquility II & Poetry II Jun 2016 16-day Rhine & Rhône Revealed/SB - Amsterdam to Côte d’Azur (Rhine, Saône & Rhône)
Queen Mary 2 June 2016 8-day Trans-Atlantic crossing Southampton - NYC
Zuiderdam Oct 2016 12-day The Atlantic Coast - Quebec City to FLL First HAL ship back
Amsterdam Dec 2016 14-day Panama Canal Holiday SD to FLL

Nieuw Amsterdam Jan 2017 21-Day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer/Seafarer
Koningsdam Feb 2017 7-DAY Eastern Caribbean
Oosterdam Mar 2017 7-Day Western Caribbean [out of Tampa]
Victoria Harbour, ON
2,465 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by dougnewmanatsea
One of the most common questions we get on these boards, particularly from new members, is about the different "classes" of HAL ships - the Vista-class, S-class, and so on. Naturally, everyone wants to know which ships are in each class, and what the differences are.

With that in mind, I decided to post this "sticky" post explaining the different "classes". I hope this clarifies the situation.

Now, let's meet the different HAL ships, starting with the smallest and oldest:

PRINSENDAM

PRINSENDAM - Built 1988 - 37,983 Gross Tons - 793 passengers

The smallest and oldest HAL ship, she is in a class by herself. She generally does the longest and most expensive cruises. She is the only HAL ship not built for the line, she was built in 1988 as the ROYAL VIKING SUN, became SEABOURN SUN in 2000 and then PRINSENDAM in 2002. Among things that separate her from the rest of the HAL ships - she does not have a two-deck dining room or main lounge, an indoor/outdoor pool, or dedicated children's facilities. Her smaller, more intimate size and off-the-beaten path itineraries are appreciated by her increasingly loyal following.

S-class

STATENDAM - 1993 - 55,810 GT - 1,251 pax
MAASDAM - 1993 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax
RYNDAM - 1994 - 55,819 GT - 1,251 pax
VEENDAM - 1996 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax

These four ships are the "backbone" of the HAL fleet. They are virtually identical except for color schemes and artwork. They were the first new HAL cruise ships to have features like the atrium, the two-deck high dining room and main lounge, and the indoor/outdoor Lido pool. These very versatile ships have done everything from 7-day Caribbean and Alaska cruises to full World Cruises. Recently they have been upgraded with features like the Pinnacle Grill alternative restaurant and the Neptune Lounge concierge lounge (for suite passengers).

R-class

ROTTERDAM - 1997 - 59,652 GT - 1,316 pax
VOLENDAM - 1998 - 60,906 GT - 1,440 pax
ZAANDAM - 1999 - 61,396 GT - 1,440 pax
AMSTERDAM - 2000 - 61,484 GT - 1,380 pax

The R-class ships are very similar to the S-class, but a bit longer and wider. Unlike the S-class, they are not all identical. The first of the four was ROTTERDAM. Specially designed for longer cruises, she is the fastest ship in the fleet. She also introduced new features like an alternative restaurant, concierge lounge, and Internet Cafe (all since retrofitted to the older ships as well). VOLENDAM and ZAANDAM followed; they are similar to ROTTERDAM but slower (the same speed as the S-class ships) and are a bit larger because the aft pool was moved up one deck, creating more indoor space on the deck below. Unlike ROTTERDAM, they were designed for yeoman duty in the Caribbean and Alaska though they also are suitable for longer cruises. Like the S-class ships, only decor separates these twins. The final R-class ship, like AMSTERDAM, like a hybrid of ROTTERDAM and VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM. She is faster than VOLENDAM or ZAANDAM but not as fast as ROTTERDAM. Like ROTTERDAM, she was built specially for longer voyages. ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM, together, are considered HAL's "flagships" and along with PRINSENDAM they usually do the longest and most prestigious cruises - the World Cruise along with the various Grand Voyages.

Vista-class

ZUIDERDAM - 2002 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
OOSTERDAM - 2003 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
WESTERDAM - 2004 - 81,811 GT - 1,848 pax
NOORDAM - 2006 - 82,318 GT - 1,918 pax

These are the biggest and newest HAL ships currently in service. They were designed mainly for shorter (less than two weeks) cruises in the Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe. Like the S-class, they represented a departure from previous HAL ships in size and design. While bigger than HAL's other ships, they are still much smaller than some competitors' ships which are now sometimes bigger than 150,000 GT and can carry over 3,500 passengers (Royal Caribbean have now ordered a ship that will be 220,000 GT and carry over 5,000 passengers). These ships are notable because of the exceptionally high number of private balconies - over two-thirds of cabins have them. They are called the Vista-class because they are named after the points of the compass in Dutch - Zuid (South), Oost (East), West, and Noord (North). The first three are identical; NOORDAM incorporates a few design changes which make her larger and have a slightly higher passenger capacity.

Signature-class

This will be two (or more) ships which will be larger, improved versions of the Vista-class, much as the R-class can be considered improved versions of the S-class. Right now there are few details but they will probably be about 90,000 GT with a passenger capacity of about 2,000.
Great info. I for one keep going back to this post when ever a question about this comes up. We could use an up date, there has been some changes, ships sold, new ones build, more coming on line. Thanks for putting this together.
Allan
WA
98 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by Host Walt
Here's Copper10-8's pronunciation guide from that link...
[...]
Oosterdam "Oasterdam" as in Toast but drop the "T" ...
This is wonderful! I'm going to get a giggle now every time I remember that I'm going to be sailing on the "Toasterdam."
Tarzana (San Fernando Valley), CA
4,764 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by TheEmerson
I found this fact sheet on HAL site. A good deal of detailed information about all the ships in the fleet.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets...Sheet_2016.pdf
Great find and fascinating information.

Sadly the "new" fleet that started with the Statendam, the first HAL ships that included verandahs (open balconies), has started falling off this list by transfer to P & O Australia, another Carnival Corp. line.

We made it a point to sail on the maiden voyages of these ships, Statendam, Veendam, Ryndam, Maasdam and Rotterdam (the first major alteration of the basic design of the "S class" ships with the most significant change being the highest speed and resulting expanded itineraries).

Unfortunately the usually reliable Fincantieri shipyard missed the launch date right out of their shipyard in Venice. As a result our record was broken.

Boy, that string started over 20 years ago. This getting old stuff really sucks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)
Cruise Critic Message Board Host

To contact me, [email protected]
Florida
1,736 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
I haven't read through all the pages, but a question: I've only been on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam. I'm looking at cruises on the Veedam, Rotterdam, and Eurodam. I'm worried about the sea days and how the smaller ships fare. Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunny Sequim, Washington state
5,892 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by summer slope
I haven't read through all the pages, but a question: I've only been on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam. I'm looking at cruises on the Veedam, Rotterdam, and Eurodam. I'm worried about the sea days and how the smaller ships fare. Thank you.
The Eurodam is newer and slightly larger than Westerdam and Zuiderdam, so if you enjoyed them, you will probably enjoy Eurodam. I"m sorry, I can't answer your questions about Veendam and Rotterdam, but I have sailed on Veendam's sister ships, Ryndam (no longer with the HAL fleet) and Maasdam, and both those ships handled the Gulf of Alaska and Alaska's Inside Passage just fine (these were 14-day itineraries to Alaska). I have also sailed Amsterdam, Rotterdam's sister ship, across the Pacific Ocean, and likewise, I felt she handled the seas very well. Amsterdam and Rotterdam do many of the long, exotic and unusual itineraries, such as the Voyage of the Vikings and the Grand World Voyage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more" - CC Member Diann 744
Boynton Beach, FL USA
12,974 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
I have really appreciated the information in the first post of this thread. I have only done one HAL cruise in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I now have two more HAL cruises in the near future, so I updated the basic schedule for myself to keep the ships straight. I have to refer back to it regularly, since the names are easily confused, at least by me. Perhaps after I have cruised on each one, I won't have that problem anymore. I thought that others new to HAL might appreciate seeing my schedule. Enjoy!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For Cruise Reviews and Pictures, visit our website at www.thepreismans.com
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - October 2017 - Eastern Caribbean
HAL Zaandam - January 2018 - Antarctica/South America
Celebrity Constellation - April 2018 - Arabian Sea & Suez Canal
Celebrity Edge - January 2019 - Eastern Caribbean

Sarnia On Canada
402 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
[quote=MVPinBoynton;53169231]I have really appreciated the information in the first post of this thread. I have only done one HAL cruise in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I now have two more HAL cruises in the near future, so I updated the basic schedule for myself to keep the ships straight. I have to refer back to it regularly, since the names are easily confused, at least by me. Perhaps after I have cruised on each one, I won't have that problem anymore. I thought that others new to HAL might appreciate seeing my schedule. Enjoy!

[/q

Excellent thank you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruth

CRUISES TAKEN
70 Days MAASDAM JAN 2014 CARIBBEAN/BRAZIL
25 Days NOORDAM DEC 2013 CARIBBEAN
88 Days ROTTERDAM Jan 2013 FAR EAST
21 Days RYNDAM June 2012 BALTIC/NORWAY
74 Days ROTTERDAM Dec 2011 HAWAII/SOUTH PACIFIC/PERU
14 Days MAASDAM May 2011 CANADA NEW ENGLAND
42 Days MAASDAM July 2009 VOYAGE VIKINGS
28 Days STATENDAM Sept 2007 SOUTH PACIFIC NEW ZEALAND
Hampton VA
54 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
I did a cruise across the Pacific in September 2017 on the Noordam. If you get the chance to book the behind the scenes tour, do it. At the time I thought it was pricey ($150). It was an all day tour of the bridge, Engine control room, crew spaces, costume room, liquor locker, laundry, tailor shop, garbage room, watertight doors, galley, dining rooms, and so much more. Each person/ couple got a picture with the Captain. The time to sign up is ASAP. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sydney, Australia
103 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by SF Ex-Pat
I did a cruise across the Pacific in September 2017 on the Noordam.
We are booked on the Noordam across the Pacific in September 2017 also. I hope I have not missed it?

I guess you meant 2016. Really looking forward to it. We did the same cruise a few years ago on Oosterdam. Excellent!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bentleg - email: [email protected]
Holland America - 2002-2016 - NZ, Mediterranean, Baltic, Alaska, West coast US, Panama Canal, Hong Kong Sydney, Seattle Sydney, Dover Iceland Greenland New York, Valparaiso Rio, Ft Lauderdale Sydney
Sun Princess - March 2010 - Japan
Carnival Spirit - September 2015 - Singapore Sydney
Diamond Princess - Feb 2016 - NZ
Volendam - May 2016 - Hong Kong, Japan, Alaska, Vancouver
Westerdam - May 2016 - Vancouver Seattle
Golden Princess - Beijing Sydney - October 2016
Carnival Spirit - Tasmania - January 2017
Noordam - Vancouver Sydney - Sept 2017
Celebrity Solstice - NZ - Christmas 2017