Transatlantic / returning by air

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:54 PM.
Hampshire, England
1,279 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by cruiseluvva
Our experience was Cunard Air Support flatly refused to speak to us and simply referred us back to our TA.
I would suppose that would be reasonable if the original booking had not included a Cunard 'Air Package'.

In the event that it did then Cunard surely, having paid a commission to the Travel Agent, should rightly see the TA earn their keep.

Just an opinion of course.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

Punta Gorda
1,479 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by Scrapnana
I had the same results two years ago. I was offered a really good price on the first segment of QE's world voyage but looking at the one way airfares they were about twice as much as the cruise so I almost gave up. Instead I called Cunard and they quoted me a price that was about 20% of booking on my own. They even allowed me to choose which connecting airport I wanted and allowed me to fly in a few days early. As far as I am concerned booking one way air through the cruise line is the only way to do so to get a good price.
I called Cunard yesterday and was not quite ready to make a decision. The price yesterday for a one way, LHR to MIA was $1906pp for First Class. Today I spoke to someone who told me that the flight from yesterday was no longer an option (????) and that the flight would cost $5509pp for First Class. I have decided that I will keep calling until I get someone who might help. This particular Customer Rep was not at all helpful, was actually a bit rude, did not ask me to take the survey but did ask if I would like to buy wine for my stateroom. We board on February 5, 2018 so I think that the wine purchase will be something that we consider later on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.cruise-ships.com/profile/Evana/][/url]
Punta Gorda
1,479 Posts
Joined May 2004
Well, back again. It was a miscommunication between me and the agent. I want Upper Class on Virgin. I mistakenly asked for first class. We now have a direct flight from LHR to MIA for $1450pp. I have already chosen my seats. It is starting to feel real.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Market Harborough, UK
719 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by Eric2005
Cunard used to offer a sail / fly package but apparently not now. The problem now is to get a return air ticket that is affordable -- or do I have to buy a RT ticket and throw away the return portion? Any advice. I'll be flying London-NY.
Cunard have a flight department to do this and the ability to get good deals on upgrades to Premium Economy or business. I can not quite understand why you say this is no longer available.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
Punta Gorda
1,479 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by sppunk
Wait if I'm using a TA I can still contact Cunard directly for air pricing?
That is what I did. From what I understand the TA no longer gets a commission for the booking.
It is MUCH easier to do it with Princess though. I found the flights I wanted on their "Find Flights for this Cruise" link and then called them. With Cunard there is no such link. I am sure that the customer service reps would be able to take a lot less time if the passenger had access to the same screens as they.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
791 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by bananavan
That is what I did. From what I understand the TA no longer gets a commission for the booking.
It is MUCH easier to do it with Princess though. I found the flights I wanted on their "Find Flights for this Cruise" link and then called them. With Cunard there is no such link. I am sure that the customer service reps would be able to take a lot less time if the passenger had access to the same screens as they.
Correct, TA does not get commission on air portion. I called Cunard directly, got 1st class fare on BA at 25% of "rack" rate. Called again a month or so later when I was outside of penalty, trimmed a little more off that price (because of fluctuation in pound sterling). Cunard was very helpful both times.
1,086 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Eric2005

I'm doing a QM2 Transatlantic in August and I'm using Norwegian Air from Gatwick to JFK. You are able to book a one way ticket and the premium class seems a very good buy.
15 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
I called Cunard on Monday and was quoted USD610 per person to fly from Chicago to New York the morning of departure, and from London to Chicago one week after arriving in Southampton, all nonstop on American. I haven't booked yet (I plan to wait until about T-2 months from our departure date), but this is much, much cheaper than booking on our own would be.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Cunard will allow us to fly in the morning of departure, albeit arriving LaGuardia at 9 am.
Cheshire
181 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
We book our own one way flights bwcuase Cunard charge an awful lot more to fly to/from Manchester. Thonas Cook do MAN JFK and their premium economy is v good value. Flew out sailed back in 2015; sailing out and flying home in August.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Punta Gorda
1,479 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by abefroman329
I called Cunard on Monday and was quoted USD610 per person to fly from Chicago to New York the morning of departure, and from London to Chicago one week after arriving in Southampton, all nonstop on American. I haven't booked yet (I plan to wait until about T-2 months from our departure date), but this is much, much cheaper than booking on our own would be.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Cunard will allow us to fly in the morning of departure, albeit arriving LaGuardia at 9 am.
Might I suggest you lock in the price now? You can cancel up to 45 days from time of departure.
I have been watching some interesting price fluctuations. Yours is a good price.
Yesterday I booked our World Cruise flights. We are going Fort Myers to San Francisco in February with the return LHR to MIA the day after our cruise. Our flights are First Class and they are going to cost us $1900 approx per person.
I already have my seat assignments too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
15 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by bananavan
Might I suggest you lock in the price now? You can cancel up to 45 days from time of departure.
I have been watching some interesting price fluctuations. Yours is a good price.
Yesterday I booked our World Cruise flights. We are going Fort Myers to San Francisco in February with the return LHR to MIA the day after our cruise. Our flights are First Class and they are going to cost us $1900 approx per person.
I already have my seat assignments too.
Thanks, this is very valuable advice.