Signature Beverage Package on MS Westerdam

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:48 AM.
2 Posts
Joined May 2017
Hello All.

Does anybody have any info on how this works! We have just found out that a 15% service charge is added on to every drink we have.

Please can you advise if the 15% service charge needs to be added to the menu price of the drink for us to work out if it will still be included in the Signature Beverage Package: ie:A Anchor Brewing Steam is priced on the drinks menu as $7.25 if 15% service charge is added the drink becomes over $8.00 - Therefore would this then NOT be included in the Signature Beverage Package:

Is anyone able able to clarify whether you will need to pay the additional amount above $8.00 or whether you would need to pay the full cost of the drink.

Its so confusing
Columbus,Ohio
1,453 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by Rubyduby2017
Hello All.

Does anybody have any info on how this works! We have just found out that a 15% service charge is added on to every drink we have.

Please can you advise if the 15% service charge needs to be added to the menu price of the drink for us to work out if it will still be included in the Signature Beverage Package: ie:A Anchor Brewing Steam is priced on the drinks menu as $7.25 if 15% service charge is added the drink becomes over $8.00 - Therefore would this then NOT be included in the Signature Beverage Package:

Is anyone able able to clarify whether you will need to pay the additional amount above $8.00 or whether you would need to pay the full cost of the drink.

Its so confusing

The SBP is all drinks less than $9 b4 the gratuity. When you purchase the package your account will be billed for $44.95 times the number of days of your cruise plus 15% gratuity for the SBP.

If the drink is above the $9 limit that entire drink will be billed to your account and does not count as the 15 drink limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Alberta
3,866 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
It's not that confusing. Basically, if the price on the menu is less than the SBP maximum limit, then it's covered by the SBP. So in your example of the Anchor Brewing Steam, it'll be covered. Even beverages that are 5 cents under the limit will be covered.

I hope that helps clear it up for you!
2 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by mllewis48
The SBP is all drinks less than $9 b4 the gratuity. When you purchase the package your account will be billed for $44.95 times the number of days of your cruise plus 15% gratuity for the SBP.

If the drink is above the $9 limit that entire drink will be billed to your account and does not count as the 15 drink limit.

Thank you for your response.
We have already purchased the SBP through the travel agent so our account should only be billed for the15% gratuity.

If I only purchase 2 drinks on a certain day will I only be billed 15% gratuity on those 2 drinks or on the full 15 drink limit!
Columbus,Ohio
1,453 Posts
Joined Oct 2003

We have already purchased the SBP through the travel agent so our account should only be billed for the15% gratuity.

If I only purchase 2 drinks on a certain day will I only be billed 15% gratuity on those 2 drinks or on the full 15 drink limit!

When you purchase the SBP the 15% is added at that time not on every drink. If your cruise is 7 days you will be billed for $44.95 times 7 times 1.15 which adds the gratuity.

The amount would be $361.84

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fort Lauderdale, FL
9,767 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
If you are buying the SBP - and you're buying it ahead of time - you pay $44.95 per day + 15% service, or $51.69 per day.

There is no additional service charge when you use the plan for covered beverages.

If you get the SBP as part of a package, like Explore 4, there is no additional service charge.

This sometimes confuses people who are used to NCL. NCL charges a service charge of 18% on top of their "free" Ultimate Beverage Package. Your "free" NCL beverage costs you $14.22 a day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The mail thing: poa1 - at - instituteofcheer.com
105,914 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
The 15% gratuity is included in the Signature Beverage Card.

You will not have to pay it -- thus no extra charge on your shipboard account.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
9,767 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Hello All.

Its so confusing
To reiterate: The service charge is on the package, assuming you're buying it, NOT on each drink. If you have the package, just look at the menu. If the menu price is under the limit, you're golden. No need to worry about the service change.

You also may want to look at the HAL drink menu. Their drink prices are quite a bit lower than some other cruise lines. Unless you drink high end Scotch or super premium Tequila, you should be in pretty good shape.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Western Washington
4,919 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Even beverages that are 5 cents under the limit will be covered.
And it's interesting the number that are just that - 5 cents under. I did a count on one of the posted bar menus once of the number of drinks that qualify or not and it was something like 90% were under the limit. Even higher percentage if you exclude wine (which we usually don't drink) because most of what is excluded are higher end wines. The other gotcha is "calling" a high end liquor for certain mixed drinks with expensive ingredients that put it over.

We got SBP on Explore4 and later when we decided to upgrade ourselves from Inside to Balcony we had the option of a couple other promotions so I could see what the added cost was for the SBP (net of Pinnacle dinner) and it came out to roughly half the usual SBP price so we kept Explore4. We'll break even at about 5 drinks a day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL -Mariner of the Seas - May 2012 - TA Miami to Rome
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas February 12, 2011 - So. Caribbean
RCCL - Brilliance of the Seas- April 13, 2008 TA Miami to London
HAL - Veendam - June 16, 2002, Alaska

At the moment I have half a mind to go look for the rest
Brooklyn, NY
17,736 Posts
Joined Mar 2005

If you get a drink that is covered by the SBP there is no additional 15% service charge. If you buy two drinks that are not covered by the SBP (say two glasses of wine that costs $10 each, you will be charge 15% on the cost of those two drinks only.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peter

Next: RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Koningsdam, February 11-18, 2018

RSVP February Caribbean cruises:
Caribbean Princess 2007 / Zuiderdam 2008 / Eurodam 2009 / Eurodam 2010 / Nieuw Amsterdam 2012
Eurodam 2013
/ MSC Divina 2014 / Regal Princess 2015 / Nieuw Amsterdam 2016 / Koningsdam 2017
RSVP Alaska - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July 2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009

Fort Lauderdale, FL
9,767 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
If the OP bought the package through their TA, chances are extremely high that they've already been charged the service on the package. I don't even think you can buy the SBP and pay for the service later.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fort Lauderdale, FL
9,767 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by muenchner
Does anyone have a really new bar menu? Wondering what is included with the new 9$ limit.
Check Roger Jett's site. If you have an older bar menu like the one I posted from December, just pretend that the limit is $8 and you'll find what's eligible. The prices and the SBP limit moved in sync for the most part.

As a general rule, almost all your liquor and mixed drinks are covered with the exception of the most expensive tequilas and single malt Scotch. All the beers are covered. The wine selection is more limited, but it's workable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Germany
159 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by POA1
Check Roger Jett's site. If you have an older bar menu like the one I posted from December, just pretend that the limit is $8 and you'll find what's eligible. The prices and the SBP limit moved in sync for the most part.

As a general rule, almost all your liquor and mixed drinks are covered with the exception of the most expensive tequilas and single malt Scotch. All the beers are covered. The wine selection is more limited, but it's workable.
Great! Thank You!