"If only I'd brought..."

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:27 PM.
East Midlands, UK
17 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
A question to all you experienced cruisers out there...

What one thing do you always ensure you pack?

You've got your documents, tickets, passport, camera, sun cream, night cream, stuffed toy, valium, clown-repellant, superhero underwear, a map of Bulgaria (even though you're not going there but it was in the glove box so you packed it just in case), shoes, and all the clothing you'll need...

What is that little item that you take that has proven useful that you'd wished you'd thought of taking with you when you were new to cruising?

I've heard some people mention they must have magnets... is there any other cruise hacks you can share?

Thanks,
Leane

Sent from a mobile device... yep, I could be anywhere right now!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Little by little one travels far...
East Midlands, UK
17 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by MCC retired
Thermal coffee mugs w/lids for bringing coffee back to cabin .

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Ah... now that's cunning.
Thanks

Sent from a mobile device... yep, I could be anywhere right now!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Little by little one travels far...
southern NM desert
11,350 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aspirin, Imodium, cough drops, extra sunscreen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Sun April 19 - May 7, 2018.
Seattle to Port Canaveral via Panama Canal
Our third transit through the Canal.

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Chicago
9,562 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
A small flashlight so I don't disturb my travelling companion, and battery operated tea lights as a night light in the bathroom because those lights in there are SO bright at night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Breeze 2014 (Carnival Cruise Line)

Newark, DE
87 Posts
Joined May 2015
Command hooks (for walls to keep the cabin tidy)
Brita Water Bottle
Stitch Witchery (emergency clothing repairs)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alison
Fredericksburg, va. USA
83,440 Posts
Joined May 2001
Only what YOU need. Pack as you would for ANY vacation to the same climate. You really don't need hooks on the wall, or over the door stuff, or duct tape or.....fill in the blank. If you don't use it at home or on any vacation, you don't need it on a ship.
Michigan
370 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We always travel with in-laws. The do not take magnets. We do. They do not take duct tape. We do. Reason: metal walls hold the daily papers, invitations, excursion tickets, etc. that my SIL (sister in law) throws on a table and then loses......
Thought duct tape was stupid till a suitcase split open on debarkation. Taxi had to stop at a store to buy duct tape!
I bring every over the counter meds I can--after spending hours with my BIL searching for cough drops.
If it fits in the suitcase, I see no reason to leave these thing behind!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marseydotes
Canada
52 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
The best item I have brought for a cruise is an over the door shoe organizer. The clear one. We hung it on the door in our tiny bathroom. Awesome for everything. Sunscreen, sunglasses, medication, make-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lady Wendolyn
Texas Gulf Coast
2,818 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Christie Brinkley.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
One hand on the starboard rail...
Urbandale, Iowa
1,344 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Battery operated tea light for a bathroom night light

Clips to hang wet items on the clothes line/towel on lounger

Sweater/wrap it gets COLD in the dining room!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anthomaniac

Canada
18,752 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by Sauer-kraut
...battery operated tea lights as a night light in the bathroom because those lights in there are SO bright at night.
Originally posted by Anthomaniac
Battery operated tea light for a bathroom night light...

Brilliant. I will be doing this from now on for hotel rooms. Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Karen

*I have fallen ill, so sadly, no more cruises.*

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:
RCI - Serenade Nov 2015 S. Caribbean
Celebrity - Solstice May 2015 Alaska
RCI - Explorer Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel Repo Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico
Urbandale, Iowa
1,344 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Langley Cruisers
Brilliant. I will be doing this from now on for hotel rooms. Thank you.
We like the colored ones, the light is softer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anthomaniac

TX
665 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I wish I'd used my iPhone more last cruise to take more photos, and I wish we'd bought an underwater camera.... Had a great couple of snorkel trips and missed them both. Worth the money for a decent camera.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises: Liberty of the Seas 2016, Mariner of the Seas Nov 2011
Point Richmond CA
4,644 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Marseydotes
We always travel with in-laws. The do not take magnets. We do. They do not take duct tape. We do. Reason: metal walls hold the daily papers, invitations, excursion tickets, etc. that my SIL (sister in law) throws on a table and then loses......

Thought duct tape was stupid till a suitcase split open on debarkation. Taxi had to stop at a store to buy duct tape!

I bring every over the counter meds I can--after spending hours with my BIL searching for cough drops.

If it fits in the suitcase, I see no reason to leave these thing behind!

Far far far better than duct tape is gaffer tape (no residue on removal). And no need to bring it. Just ask someone in the entertainment crew to "loan"
you 2 or 3 feet if you need to make a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Orange County, CA, USA
2,082 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Cough suppressant as a pill (Mucinex makes it) and coricidin. Spent too long looking for a pharmacy in Cabo!

Eventually I put together a rollup medicine chest that goes on every cruise -- and for those who say, just pack what you would on any vacation -- we now take it on land-based trips too. In a larger toiletry case like the attached, only all of the pockets zip. The lower pocket is deep enough to hold dollar store tylenol/ibuprofen/benedryl, the coricidin and mucinex, and a smallish ace bandage rolled up, with a roll of paper tape on top of it.

I don't use everything all the time, but I use SOMETHING on every trip! It does take as much room in our carry-on-only packing, but it is worth it (we only take one pair of shoes not on our feet anyway).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Columbus,Ohio
5,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 first-time cruisers over pack and bring stuff they really don't need and never use. I know we did. Figuring out what you personally need and don't need for your cruise is a learning process. In addition to the obvious things (travel docs., clothes, etc.), we pack a small travel first-aid kit. Nice to know you've got a Band-Aid and some Neosporin if you need it. Guest Services may or may not have something available. Along with any prescription meds we might need, we also bring a small bottle of aspirin and/or ibuprofen. Non-prescription meds on the ship are kind of pricey. We also bring our 16 oz. Tervis tumblers, good for both cold or hot beverages (the cups on the ship in the buffet area just aren't quite big enough). There are numerous threads posted here on CC, as well as several web sites on Google with lists of suggested items to bring. A good portion of those items are "what if" or "just in case" things. Don't try to plan for every possible scenario. Your credit card will be far more useful (and easier to pack) than those 47 pairs of argyle socks that will probably never leave your cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Conquest May 2016
Carnival Breeze May 2015
Carnival Liberty May 2013
Carnival Liberty May 2012
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999