Pricing changes prior to final payment

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:45 PM.
Germany
1,573 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Tinknock50
I have booked guarantees before and I could choose the category but not the cabin. So I could choose a category that that has a window in a good area of the ship. They never put you in a lower category that has a porthole. So as long as you are happy with the category you choose, you won't be disappointed and may even get a pleasant surprise.

I supposed there might be some "one week before the cruise" guarantees that are run of ship and they can put you ANYWHERE, but I don't think I would go for that.
(bolding by me)

That's an interesting thought - I have always wondered why most cruiselines just give you a balcony guarantee, a suite Gty, an inside Gty etc. but this can be a box of worms as well as a pleasurable surprise.
If with HAL you can choose the sub-categories you may at least get the minimum you're content with - like an Oceanview cabin with a real window. Seems like a compromise.
Personally I'd prefer to book a specific cabin but it's another of the HAL surprises - on some of the cruises it is not even possible to choose as ALL categories are Guarantees... And sometimes you're stuck with that even when booking a long time before the cruise if you are keen on a specific itinerary!
Phoenix,AZ
10,277 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by grayjay
(bolding by me)

That's an interesting thought - I have always wondered why most cruiselines just give you a balcony guarantee, a suite Gty, an inside Gty etc. but this can be a box of worms as well as a pleasurable surprise.
If with HAL you can choose the sub-categories you may at least get the minimum you're content with - like an Oceanview cabin with a real window. Seems like a compromise.
Personally I'd prefer to book a specific cabin but it's another of the HAL surprises - on some of the cruises it is not even possible to choose as ALL categories are Guarantees... And sometimes you're stuck with that even when booking a long time before the cruise if you are keen on a specific itinerary!
That's what I mean. I have booked a category "H" guarantee for example on ships that have NO portholes in that category. Therefore I am sure of getting a window. It would be another story if it were just an "outside" guarantee.

For what it is worth, anytime I have booked a guarantee with HAL, they have always put me in very good location and cabin. I don't think HAL wants to tick you off by giving you the worst. You have done them a favor after all by going guarantee. Of course that may not be everyone's experience and you may get something not to your liking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Brownwood, TX
9 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Everyone here seems very familiar with the explore 4 pkg so I apologize for asking about it since it wasnt original topic. I was told the limit was $8 per drink. I see drinks for $7.95 that we would order but once the service charge is added, it will be more than $8. Does it mean those $7.95 drinks cannot be purchased on this plan?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lisa
Headed to my 15th HAL cruise!
Rotterdam 10 day New England Oct 2002
Zuiderdam 7 day Caribbean Orinoco River Dec 2002
Zuiderdam 7 day Western Caribbean Jan 2003
Zuiderdam 7 day Western Caribbean March 2003
Statendam 7 day Mexican Riviera Sept 2003
Maasdam 10 day Eastern Caribbean Apr 2004
Zuiderdam 7 day Western Caribbean Sept 2004
Zuiderdam 7 day Eastern Caribbean Nov 2004
Zuiderdam 9 day Western Caribbean Dec 2004
Zuiderdam 7 day Eastern Caribbean Feb 2005
Rotterdam 12 day Europe Northern July 2005
Volendam 7 day Alaska Glacier Bay Sept 2005
Zuiderdam 7 day Eastern Caribbean Nov 2005
Zaandam 5 day Coastal Vancouver/San Diego Sept 2007
Oosterdam 12 day East Mediterrean April 2016

San Antonio, TX
8,673 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I like your priorities ....plan your life around the cruise not vice versa.
Actually easier to say than to do. Despite all the planning in 22 years of cruising we have had to cancel two cruises because of work or personal issues so stuff happens. Luckily, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, we only have the one job to work around and have a very small family with only six of us. No parents, no young children, and we're the elders in thankfully pretty good health. As long as cruise lines and TAs allow cancellation and refund of deposits with no penalty we'll continue to book as far out as possible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carey and Randy invite you to visit our website at: www.klugsplace.com

"If not now, when?"
Oklahoma City
7,753 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by cruznlisalisa
Everyone here seems very familiar with the explore 4 pkg so I apologize for asking about it since it wasnt original topic. I was told the limit was $8 per drink. I see drinks for $7.95that we would order but once the service charge is added, it will be more than $8. Does it mean those $7.95 drinks cannot be purchased on this plan?
Yes, $7.95 drinks can be purchased. The $8 limit is for the drink price.

Now, back to the topic.
Phoenix,AZ
10,277 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by Randyk47
Actually easier to say than to do. Despite all the planning in 22 years of cruising we have had to cancel two cruises because of work or personal issues so stuff happens. Luckily, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, we only have the one job to work around and have a very small family with only six of us. No parents, no young children, and we're the elders in thankfully pretty good health. As long as cruise lines and TAs allow cancellation and refund of deposits with no penalty we'll continue to book as far out as possible.
I have a rule to check the agencies cancellation policy before I use them. I don't want to loose even a small amount if and when I see a better deal elsewhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
San Antonio, TX
8,673 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I have a rule to check the agencies cancellation policy before I use them. I don't want to loose even a small amount if and when I see a better deal elsewhere.
Absolutely. One of the cardinal rules. We've settled, at least for the time being, with an agency that doesn't charge a cancellation or other administrative fees but would certainly look elsewhere if they did.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"If not now, when?"
Pennsylvania
1,807 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
...how they made out.

From comments I think they are on the Zaandam SA and then Antarctica. If this is correct they are right at final payment now (within the next week).

We did Antarctica last Christmas and it was over the top fantastic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
284 cruising days and counting! (164 HAL, 71 'X', 49 others)

Past Cruises: (star ratings reflect our opinion of the on-board experience, not the port calls!)
2017: April/May - HAL Veendam - 15 Day Atlantic Coast ***1/2
2016: June/July - Caribbean Princess - British Isles ****/ Oct/Nov - Koningsdam inaugural trans-Atlantic**1/2
2015: May - HAL Zuiderdam Mediterranean Explorer **** / Aug/Sept - HAL Statendam 14 day Alaska Explorer **** / Dec/Jan - HAL Zaandam 21 day South America & Antarctica Explorer *****
2014: Feb - HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May/June - HAL Prinsendam Kiel Canal and Baltics **** / Oct - HAL Westerdam Panama Canal 15 days ***** / Celebrity Reflection Christmas in the Caribbean ***1/2
2013: Jan - HAL Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer **** / April - Viking Skadi "Tulips & Windmills" *** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Constellation to Turkey & Greece ****
2012: Jan - HAL Eurodam to Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May - HAL Ryndam to the Fjords & North Cape ****1/2 / Sept/Oct - Celebrity Summit to Canada & Maine **
2011: Jan - Crown Princess to Western Caribbean ** / Mar - HAL Westerdam to Southern Caribbean ***** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Solstice to Western Mediterranean ***1/2
2010: Feb - Celebrity Century to Key West & Grand Cayman ****1/2 / May - Celebrity Summit to Bermuda ***1/2 / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal *****
2009: Aug - HAL Amsterdam to Alaska ***** / Nov - HAL Ryndam to Western Caribbean (central America) ****
1986: NCL Starward to Western Caribbean / 1988: NCL Starward to Southern Caribbean
1985: Commodore Cruise Line - Caribe to Eastern Caribbean
73 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
In reply to the question: I booked a Nov 5th cruise with HAL about 6 months ago, got the bargain basement price with no perks. I made the final payment 4 weeks ago. The price recently dropped by $100 pp, I contacted my TA and he got us a $50 pp OBC. Now the price has gone above what I paid for the cabin! It pays to keep watching the prices, and also asking HAL for perks if the price drops. They have been very generous in our case!
Windsor, ON
3,797 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
I have not read this thread completely so I do not know if this question has been asked, but our final payment notice does not include a statement regarding our "Special Services" statement that has been on all previous agreed on statements sent to us before. My question is, will this that mean we do not now have that special service anymore if it not now stated on this notice? I just got the notice via e-mail and have sent a request back to Hal and of course they are not available at this hour, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
Tampa, Florida
3,702 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Randyk47
Sorry but that's not true. Most lines, including HAL, will honor reduced pricing if before the final payment.
Unfortunately, I have not found that to always be the case. It was done on one TA cruise for us. On the last one, our TA was (supposedly) told by HAL that we already had a good price, and they weren't going to change it. On another cruise, after final payment, they gave us more OBC's. The fact is, no cruise has to change the price of a booked cruise.

A cruise line changes their prices all the time. I am surprised that OP, as a 5* mariner, has not experienced this before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me HERE
Southwest Florida
10,352 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by boards
I have not read this thread completely so I do not know if this question has been asked, but our final payment notice does not include a statement regarding our "Special Services" statement that has been on all previous agreed on statements sent to us before. My question is, will this that mean we do not now have that special service anymore if it not now stated on this notice? I just got the notice via e-mail and have sent a request back to Hal and of course they are not available at this hour, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
This thread is almost a year old..Suggest you start a new thread & ask you question there..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.
Southwest Florida
10,352 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by Tampa Girl
Unfortunately, I have not found that to always be the case. It was done on one TA cruise for us. On the last one, our TA was (supposedly) told by HAL that we already had a good price, and they weren't going to change it. On another cruise, after final payment, they gave us more OBC's. The fact is, no cruise has to change the price of a booked cruise.

A cruise line changes their prices all the time. I am surprised that OP, as a 5* mariner, has not experienced this before.
Are you aware that this thread is from Sept 2016 (last year)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.
San Antonio, TX
8,673 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by Tampa Girl

Granted once in awhile a cruise line will drop the price of a cruise before final payment but put in a caveat that the reduced fare is for new bookings only. The other complication is that your original booking may have included some incentive like an OBC, prepaid gratuities, free Internet, etc., and the new fare doesn't. You're then in that analytical mode to determine whether or not the reduced fare is worth it. I still say that on the whole the passenger has a bit of an upper hand if the cruise line reduces a fare, incentives notwithstanding, as the passenger can always cancel their booking. Actually I've personally had a cruise drop before final payment and in that case, once I pressed the issue with my TA's help, they offered an OBC equal to the reduction in the fare. That said it seems to me that cruise lines have become smarter about reducing fares prior to final payment and often now wait until after final payment to make the rebooking less available and attractive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"If not now, when?"
British Columbia
8,950 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by kazu
If you have any friends that are cruising on HAL,they can purchase the FCD'sfor you as well - just need your Mariner number(s) and name(s) as registered with HAL and, of course, you have to pay for it .
I realize this thread is more than six months old, and probably everyone knows by now, but FCDs can now only be purchased for yourselves on board. We tried to get some for our daughter on our last cruise, and the Future Cruise Consultant on board the Zaandam said the rules had changed and we couldn't do it. We were very disappointed, and I even emailed our PCC in Seattle to ask, and she confirmed the change. I complained about that on our survey after the cruise and again to our PCC. Fortunately, it turned out our daughter had a few that she had purchased previously.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ann
Tampa, Florida
3,702 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by serendipity1499
Are you aware that this thread is from Sept 2016 (last year)?
Now that you mention it . . .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me HERE
Florida
20,077 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by baggal
I don't understand booking a cruise so far in advance anyway. I am in awe of people who think they know what they're schedules are and how their health will be up to 1.5 years ahead of time.

Even now that we are both retired, I can't possibly envision seeing that far into the future. We usually book 3 - 6 months out and have been happy with all our cruises.
It depends if you like a certain type cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 27 voyages 605 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 82 Cruises 1057 days

NOT YET SAILED

Rotterdam Voyage Vikings 8/17 - 38 days
Maasdam Boston to San Diego 9/17 18 days
Veendam Atlantic Crossing 10/17 - 49 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/18 - 113 days
Rotterdam crossing. 6/18 - 32 days
Prinsendam 8/18 - 124 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
New Brunswick
40,794 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Vict0riann
I realize this thread is more than six months old, and probably everyone knows by now, but FCDs can now only be purchased for yourselves on board. We tried to get some for our daughter on our last cruise, and the Future Cruise Consultant on board the Zaandam said the rules had changed and we couldn't do it. We were very disappointed, and I even emailed our PCC in Seattle to ask, and she confirmed the change. I complained about that on our survey after the cruise and again to our PCC. Fortunately, it turned out our daughter had a few that she had purchased previously.
That is new indeed!!! Thanks for letting us know.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer