Have many people recieved an upgrade on a select fare?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:57 PM.
#21
England
511 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Gymbod
We were upgraded on our first P&O cruise from a superior deluxe cabin to a mid ship suite. However they have got their monies worth from us as it spoilt us and now we always book a suite. We always tick no upgrade now as we prefer the aft facing suites to the higher grade mid ship😀

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Yes I'm sure that is what happens to lots of people. Once you've experienced a better grade it's difficult to go back, so you are trapped thereafter! If you don't mind me asking, was the upgrade completely free or did they offer it to you for a small supplement? I have heard of people being offered upgrades to suites for £100, which is still a cracking deal.

I also find it odd that aft suites are cheaper than the midships ones. I guess if anyone is massively prone to sea sickness it might help them, but I wouldn't like the noise of people walking past talking late at night (or kids running past), which you get midships - suite or not. Also, the views from aft or forward suites are quite spectacular compared to side suites.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Oriana x 2, Oceana x 2, Azura, Ventura x 2, Britannia x 2, Aurora)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 5 cruises (Aurora x 2, Britannia, Arcadia)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
#22
UK
731 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by ChrisPBacon
2 cruises a year and never been upgraded. I can take that, but a select fare advantage is that you're first in the queue for upgrades. Yet every cruise I'm surprised by tales at the dinner table from people who booked a saver fare three weeks before departure, and not only got the cruise far cheaper (which I don't mind if they want to book late) but they booked an inside cabin and got a balcony. One couple booked a balcony and got a suite. I don't understand how P&Os promise of 'first in line' stacks up. I haven't asked them because they never respond anyway.

It's pretty clear that you are more likely to get an upgrade if you're a new or returning (after a long break) customer. In much the same way that Virgin and Sky offer great deals to new customers and nothing for loyal customers.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes I second that. When we have booked a select we have never had an upgrade despite the blub saying you get first choice of an upgrade. Yet when we have booked a saver we normally get a higher grade, although have never ever been upgrading to a different cabin i.e. balcony to suite unfortunately.
#23
Mid Wales
95 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Generally, we book a select fare and choose a specific cabin and tick the no-upgrade button.

Last year we decided to book an early saver fare and booked an HE grade balcony cabin and ended up in an HB grade balcony cabin.

A couple of years ago we had booked a balcony cabin on a select fare on Arcadia and ticked the no-upgrade button, but got a call from P&O asking if we would like an upgrade to a suite for £100.00 per person - needless to say we took them up on the offer!

Michele
#24
London - UK
176 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by ann141
I, too have heard that in theory by booking a Select Fare you will be first in line for upgrades but have heard of those booking Saver Fares receiving upgrades when we have not had one by booking Select.I know it depends on what grade cabin you book etc but I suspect that P and O favour new cruisers or those who haven t sailed with them for a while. I would be interested to hear from people who cruise several times a year with them who have been upgraded, particularly moving from one cabin type e. g. inside to outside or Balcony to Suite.
Ann,

I book 3 or 4 a year all in suites, and the majority are early bookings in 'Select'....A couple of years ago we booked a last minute 'saver' 4 nighter to take some friends on their 1st cruise (both in Dulux Balconies)...We were upgarded to a suite, and so where they.....

As for the earlier comment re dinner talk...This is something I detest and never start, but will admit to finishing. If I think somebody is talking bollox, I then up the anti, and tell them I was upgraded from an inside to a suite and given £££s in OBC.
I have also told them that I paid full price with no OBC, but so what...It was only £10k for the two of us, so nothing to worry about The latter tends to shut them up even more.....

So please don't believe anybody at the diner table.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bruce

Cruise History:
Canberra 88,91,92,93,94,96 - Oriana 97,10,14 - Arcadia 98,99,00 - Victoria 02 - Oceana 04,09,16 - Ocean Village 05 - Nor Gem 07,08 - Ventura Apr 09, Mar 12, Mar 14, July 14. Sept 15, Mar 16, June 16, Oct 16, Feb 17 - Azura Apr 11, July11, Dec 11, Dec 12, Dec 13, Dec 14 QM2 Nov 11, July 12, Aurora Oct 12, QE June 13, Arcadia Sept 13, Nov 15, Dec 16, Mar 17, Britannia April 15, Jan 16, Breakaway Aug 15, Crown Princess Sept 16

Future cruises:
Aurora (Fjords) June 17, Azura (Greek Islands) Sept 17, RSS Explorer (Med)Nov 17, Azura (Caribbean NYE) Dec 17, Azura (Transatlantic) March 18, Arcadia (Azores) April 18, Arcadia (Canada) Sept 18, Ventura (Canaries Xmas) Dec 18, Ventura (Caribbean) Feb 19
#25
London - UK
176 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by Gymbod
We always tick no upgrade now as we prefer the aft facing suites to the higher grade mid ship😀

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app
Ditto, especially the B4 cabins on 'A' deck on Azura and Ventura...Best suites on the ship in my opinion.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bruce

Cruise History:
Canberra 88,91,92,93,94,96 - Oriana 97,10,14 - Arcadia 98,99,00 - Victoria 02 - Oceana 04,09,16 - Ocean Village 05 - Nor Gem 07,08 - Ventura Apr 09, Mar 12, Mar 14, July 14. Sept 15, Mar 16, June 16, Oct 16, Feb 17 - Azura Apr 11, July11, Dec 11, Dec 12, Dec 13, Dec 14 QM2 Nov 11, July 12, Aurora Oct 12, QE June 13, Arcadia Sept 13, Nov 15, Dec 16, Mar 17, Britannia April 15, Jan 16, Breakaway Aug 15, Crown Princess Sept 16

Future cruises:
Aurora (Fjords) June 17, Azura (Greek Islands) Sept 17, RSS Explorer (Med)Nov 17, Azura (Caribbean NYE) Dec 17, Azura (Transatlantic) March 18, Arcadia (Azores) April 18, Arcadia (Canada) Sept 18, Ventura (Canaries Xmas) Dec 18, Ventura (Caribbean) Feb 19
#26
Leeds, England
23 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
I think no matter what, it's the luck of the draw. It is the first time I have booked a select price and it will be the last! No cabin selection only the guaranteed cabin grade and no prefered dining either and still on a late sitting waiting list. We have benefited from a On board spend but that's all. P and O need to start treating their loyal customers better?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
#27
London - UK
176 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by Claire yorkshire
I think no matter what, it's the luck of the draw. It is the first time I have booked a select price and it will be the last! No cabin selection only the guaranteed cabin grade and no prefered dining either and still on a late sitting waiting list. We have benefited from a On board spend but that's all. P and O need to start treating their loyal customers better?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
But, surely you knew all this when you booked? You seem you know the difference between the two fares. And when you booked 'select' you only had the option of a 'grade' rather than an exact cabin, and the fact that 2nd sitting was waitlisted would also have been flagged up.So you knew all this and still booked 'select'....Sorry, but I can't see why you appear to be upset with you decision...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bruce

Cruise History:
Canberra 88,91,92,93,94,96 - Oriana 97,10,14 - Arcadia 98,99,00 - Victoria 02 - Oceana 04,09,16 - Ocean Village 05 - Nor Gem 07,08 - Ventura Apr 09, Mar 12, Mar 14, July 14. Sept 15, Mar 16, June 16, Oct 16, Feb 17 - Azura Apr 11, July11, Dec 11, Dec 12, Dec 13, Dec 14 QM2 Nov 11, July 12, Aurora Oct 12, QE June 13, Arcadia Sept 13, Nov 15, Dec 16, Mar 17, Britannia April 15, Jan 16, Breakaway Aug 15, Crown Princess Sept 16

Future cruises:
Aurora (Fjords) June 17, Azura (Greek Islands) Sept 17, RSS Explorer (Med)Nov 17, Azura (Caribbean NYE) Dec 17, Azura (Transatlantic) March 18, Arcadia (Azores) April 18, Arcadia (Canada) Sept 18, Ventura (Canaries Xmas) Dec 18, Ventura (Caribbean) Feb 19
#28
Leeds, England
23 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by Bruce62
But, surely you knew all this when you booked? You seem you know the difference between the two fares. And when you booked 'select' you only had the option of a 'grade' rather than an exact cabin, and the fact that 2nd sitting was waitlisted would also have been flagged up.So you knew all this and still booked 'select'....Sorry, but I can't see why you appear to be upset with you decision...
We booked with Planet cruise Bruce and they never informed us of the waiting list for the dining. I would have hoped for at least an upgrade to a better placed deck at the very most. On saver fare we have always had a nicely placed cabin. We have travelled with Princess recently and got upgraded despite we have never been with them before and they acknowledge your loyalty with P and O. Just think they would look after loyal passengers a bit better like Princess do!


Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
#29
London - UK
176 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by Claire yorkshire
We booked with Planet cruise Bruce and they never informed us of the waiting list for the dining. I would have hoped for at least an upgrade to a better placed deck at the very most. On saver fare we have always had a nicely placed cabin. We have travelled with Princess recently and got upgraded despite we have never been with them before and they acknowledge your loyalty with P and O. Just think they would look after loyal passengers a bit better like Princess do!


Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
In that case you should have an issue with Planet Cruise...I use a TA, and they always confirm Cabin NO - No Upgrade - Dinning - Flights (if applicable) - OBC etc., before pressing the final button.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bruce

Cruise History:
Canberra 88,91,92,93,94,96 - Oriana 97,10,14 - Arcadia 98,99,00 - Victoria 02 - Oceana 04,09,16 - Ocean Village 05 - Nor Gem 07,08 - Ventura Apr 09, Mar 12, Mar 14, July 14. Sept 15, Mar 16, June 16, Oct 16, Feb 17 - Azura Apr 11, July11, Dec 11, Dec 12, Dec 13, Dec 14 QM2 Nov 11, July 12, Aurora Oct 12, QE June 13, Arcadia Sept 13, Nov 15, Dec 16, Mar 17, Britannia April 15, Jan 16, Breakaway Aug 15, Crown Princess Sept 16

Future cruises:
Aurora (Fjords) June 17, Azura (Greek Islands) Sept 17, RSS Explorer (Med)Nov 17, Azura (Caribbean NYE) Dec 17, Azura (Transatlantic) March 18, Arcadia (Azores) April 18, Arcadia (Canada) Sept 18, Ventura (Canaries Xmas) Dec 18, Ventura (Caribbean) Feb 19
#30
Manchester UK
255 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Those who are saying, "Well you knew all this when you booked" are missing the point. That is that P&O are now removing the chance to pick your cabin and possibly dining, and chucking in s bit of OBC and what......free shuttles? Yet they are still charging the select fare. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face and nobody will book select fares. Then we'll go back to cruising being cheaper, because most people will hold off until the saver fares are introduced and even then hold off further to see what the price does.

They need to give us a good reason for booking select but charging £500 more and giving us £200 OBC isn't it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#31
Leeds, England
23 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by ChrisPBacon
Those who are saying, "Well you knew all this when you booked" are missing the point. That is that P&O are now removing the chance to pick your cabin and possibly dining, and chucking in s bit of OBC and what......free shuttles? Yet they are still charging the select fare. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face and nobody will book select fares. Then we'll go back to cruising being cheaper, because most people will hold off until the saver fares are introduced and even then hold off further to see what the price does.

They need to give us a good reason for booking select but charging £500 more and giving us £200 OBC isn't it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well said Chris, I totally agree. I have booked with cruise nation before and found them excellent in explaining the terms in full!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
#32
1,079 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Selbourne
Once you've experienced a better grade it's difficult to go back, so you are trapped thereafter!
I don't know about that.

The first cruise I booked was a balcony on P&O, but most of the subsequent cruises have been in inside cabins.

I found inside cabins were not at all claustrophobic and for almost everything you use a cabin for you don't need a window or a balcony. In fact I positively enjoy the pitch black you get at night.

I also found the amount of time spent using the balcony was quite minimal, but obviously that depends on the cruise and the individuals.

Now that is not to say I will never book anything else (I have), but it has to be at a very good price.
#33
England
511 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by insanemagnet
I don't know about that.

The first cruise I booked was a balcony on P&O, but most of the subsequent cruises have been in inside cabins.

I found inside cabins were not at all claustrophobic and for almost everything you use a cabin for you don't need a window or a balcony. In fact I positively enjoy the pitch black you get at night.

I also found the amount of time spent using the balcony was quite minimal, but obviously that depends on the cruise and the individuals.

Now that is not to say I will never book anything else (I have), but it has to be at a very good price.
Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinions, yourself included, but I think you are in a minority with this view.

I suspect that, for most people, they choose an inside cabin because of cost and not because of preference. I don't use the balcony much. I don't sunbathe for example. But I absolutely love the floor to ceiling panoramic outlook, constantly changing scenery, seeing ships, whales, dolphins, watching the comings and goings when in ports, the sail ins and sail outs without having to get dressed and go out to a public deck etc etc etc

Of course, if it was a case of an inside cabin or not cruising I would take the inside cabin, but it would always be my last choice.

On our very first cruise, when we struggled to afford it, we booked an inside cabin. Thankfully, we were upgraded to an outside and the sea views 24/7 were fantastic, so we said we would always book an outside on future cruises - which we did (so the ploy worked on us).

We used outside 4 berth cabins until the kids got to about 10 when we found that standard cabins were too small. At that point, we skipped standard balacony cabins and moved up to Superior Deluxe Balcony cabins, where the extra space and sofa was much appreciated. But the undoubted highlight was the balcony. After a couple of those, we splashed out on a suite (we paid for it, it wasn't an upgrade) and have booked them since. Sadly, we are now having to utilise Accessible Cabins, which does mean that we can afford more cruises but we would stick with suites if it was practical.

Of course we are all different and thank goodness for that. But I maintain that the majority of people who receive an upgrade (and I mean a proper upgrade, not a different grade of the same type of cabin) really enjoy the extra space, or having a balcony, and would aspire to book that in future if their finances allow. P&O is a sharp commercial business and the upgrade programme isn't just to flatter people - it's a carefully thought through marketing ploy with a purpose. It would cost them a lot less to sail with empty suites than empty inside cabins, but the fact that they bump people up is a very smart move.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Oriana x 2, Oceana x 2, Azura, Ventura x 2, Britannia x 2, Aurora)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 5 cruises (Aurora x 2, Britannia, Arcadia)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
#34
1,079 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Selbourne
Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinions, yourself included, but I think you are in a minority with this view.
And I am glad as it means there are lots of people willing to pay the premium for balcony cabins which keeps down the price I pay.

I fully appreciate it is a choice and everyone is free to spend money as they see fit.

For me, I found I don't spend much time in the cabin, so don't benefit from the views etc. I would sooner spend my time on deck or in a bar enjoying those same views.

I think people feel they should 'upgrade' to an outside or balcony cabin, without actually thinking about it. Or some who are slightly embarrassed by having an inside cabin.

If the premium is worth it to you, great.

But as I said at the beginning, my analysis is the 50-150% premium is not worth it to me, especially as inside, outside, and balcony cabins have access to exactly the same facilities on the ship.
#35
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,124 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Claire yorkshire
Well said Chris, I totally agree. I have booked with cruise nation before and found them excellent in explaining the terms in full!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Can I ask when you booked. As when a cruise is getting full they always go to cabins and dining on a guaranteed basis. This has gone on for 15 years to my knowledge. To get the full benefit you need to book early and very early for Christmas cruises etc. Otherwise as you have found out you lose some of the benefits.

If I was your TA I would have suggested a saver may have been better.

We book on day one of the booking. So our Jan 18 cruise was booked in April 16.


Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625

To Come


Crown Princess 17
Britannia 17
Britannia 17
Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19



Gan Canny

Dai
#36
England
511 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by insanemagnet
And I am glad as it means there are lots of people willing to pay the premium for balcony cabins which keeps down the price I pay.

I fully appreciate it is a choice and everyone is free to spend money as they see fit.

For me, I found I don't spend much time in the cabin, so don't benefit from the views etc. I would sooner spend my time on deck or in a bar enjoying those same views.

I think people feel they should 'upgrade' to an outside or balcony cabin, without actually thinking about it. Or some who are slightly embarrassed by having an inside cabin.

If the premium is worth it to you, great.

But as I said at the beginning, my analysis is the 50-150% premium is not worth it to me, especially as inside, outside, and balcony cabins have access to exactly the same facilities on the ship.
I don't think that we are disagreeing about much at all. I think it's great that you prefer inside cabins as you get far more bang for your buck and, as you say, the ship facilities are the same whatever cabin you are in. But for many of us, an inside cabin would make it an entirely different experience and one that we wouldn't particularly enjoy. Neither of us are right or wrong, it's just personal opinions which we are all entitled to.

All I am saying is that, with all other things being equal, I don't think you will find many people who would prefer to stay in a lower grade cabin when offered a free upgrade and that P&O use this tactic very smartly to get people hooked, so that next time they book that higher grade to start with! It's a simple business marketing ploy and it works. If it didn't, there would be no purpose in them doing it. They are not in the business of giving out pleasant surprises. They are in the business of making money - and they are pretty good at it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Oriana x 2, Oceana x 2, Azura, Ventura x 2, Britannia x 2, Aurora)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 5 cruises (Aurora x 2, Britannia, Arcadia)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
#37
1,079 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
If P&O upgraded me I wouldn't turn them down, I just don't choose to pay for the upgrade.

I just find it interesting the significant value people place on a window or balcony.

And by value either the direct enjoyment of those, or the perceived increase in status. I was most amused one evening when a Hyacinth Bucket type announced to a lift of strangers how she was in a balcony cabin. Were we supposed to be impressed?
#38
Manchester UK
255 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
I place no status on a balcony cabin, but we have one next month in the Caribbean. Mainly because we are out in the sun by 0830 on sea days and by around 2, we like to get away from the main decks for a couple of hours for a quiet drink and some chill time.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#39
England
511 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by insanemagnet
If P&O upgraded me I wouldn't turn them down, I just don't choose to pay for the upgrade.

I just find it interesting the significant value people place on a window or balcony.

And by value either the direct enjoyment of those, or the perceived increase in status. I was most amused one evening when a Hyacinth Bucket type announced to a lift of strangers how she was in a balcony cabin. Were we supposed to be impressed?
I'm struggling to believe that many people would go to all the additional expense of a balcony just for snob value!! I think that's putting two and two together and coming up with six.

Of course I might well be wrong and it could be that I am alone in feeling that the additional cost of a balcony is worth every penny and that it transforms the cruise experience. Snobbery is a dreadful thing, 2nd only to jealousy - a disease for which there is no cure
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Oriana x 2, Oceana x 2, Azura, Ventura x 2, Britannia x 2, Aurora)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 5 cruises (Aurora x 2, Britannia, Arcadia)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
#40
Devon, uk
1,665 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Selbourne
I'm struggling to believe that many people would go to all the additional expense of a balcony just for snob value!! I think that's putting two and two together and coming up with six.

Of course I might well be wrong and it could be that I am alone in feeling that the additional cost of a balcony is worth every penny and that it transforms the cruise experience. Snobbery is a dreadful thing, 2nd only to jealousy - a disease for which there is no cure
We certainly dont! We just like the freedom it gives us to enjoy the fresh air in privacy in warmer climes.And as i do suffer with claustrophobia, I really cannot cope with an inside. We have booked an outside for our cruise to see the nNorthern Lights as we felt the opportunities for sitting on the balcony in minus 10 degrees would be limited! Definately no snob value with us!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed on.....
P&O Arcadia (old) 2001
P&O Arcadia(new)2006
P&O Artemis 2007
Cunard QE2 2008
Cunard QV 2010
Cunard QM2 2011
Cunard QE 2013
P&O Azura 2014
P&O Azura 2015
P&O Arcadia 2015
P&O Oriana - May 2016
Rhone River cruise September 2016

To come....
Adonia 2017
Fred Olsen Balmoral 2017
Northern Lights, Oriana, 2018
Eastern Med , Oriana 2018