WOW - huge change for us - bicycles are now on prohibited list

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:46 AM.
#1
Colorado
1,141 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
We are 4* Mariners and have been welcomed on HAL ships with our bikes for many years. Since our last sailing in May, 2016, their policy has changed and our bikes would be prohibited (along with weapons). Since we tour by bicycle (both in port and for weeks or months at a time at our destination), we may never sail with HAL again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://worldviaqe.blogspot.com/


Costa Mediterranea - Venice to Istanbul R/T
HAL Rotterdam - Copenhagen to Rotterdam - Baltic Capitals
NCL - Pride of Aloha - Oahu R/T
Hurtegrutin - Bergen to Kirkenes - Northbound
HAL Maasdam - Maritimes - Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale
HAL Volendam - Alaska - Vancouver - Skagway R/T
HAL Volendam - Mexican Riveria - San Diego R/T
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles
Croatia - Bike and Boat Dalmatian Islands
HAL Volendam - Auckland - Vancouver - TP - 3/2012
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean - 12/2011 - 1/29/14
Norwegian Pearl - Family Alaska cruise
Queen Elizabeth SFO - SOU World Cruise 2/8/15
HAL Prinsendam - TA - Baltic - Norway 5/15/16
HAL Zaandam - Antarctica 2017
HAL Maasdam - Family cruise Montreal to Boston - June 2017
HAL Veendam - R/T FLL to Amazon and Rio (booked but cancelled by HAL)
Cunard QE - WC 2018 SFO to SOU (segments booked)
#2
106,657 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
How did you find out about this new ruling?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#3
New Brunswick
40,796 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Krazy Kruizers
How did you find out about this new ruling?
They are on the prohibited list on the faqs page. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise...bx_AllFAQs_btn

Just a guess that someone abused one on board the same way the guy did with the segway on our Westerdam cruise? The segway was seized and they are now on the prohibited list.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

#4
USA
893 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Originally posted by kahtrav
We are 4* Mariners and have been welcomed on HAL ships with our bikes for many years. Since our last sailing in May, 2016, their policy has changed and our bikes would be prohibited (along with weapons). Since we tour by bicycle (both in port and for weeks or months at a time at our destination), we may never sail with HAL again.
Which other cruise lines allow passengers to bring bulky non-medical items (such as bicycles) on board? Also, if you are flying to your departure port cities, do the airlines allow you to check your bicycles without charging additional fees? If so, it might be more economical to rent bicycles whenever/wherever you need them than it is to bring your own along on the cruise. Just a thought.
Smooth sailing/cycling ...

#5
Alberta
3,964 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Thanks for posting the link, Kazu. I've never seen that listing before (I've never looked for it). I did notice that drones were on the list, too. I'm not surprised but we have seen links here on CC to drone videos so I guess some have gotten through (or were recently added to the list). I'm a little surprised that the bicycles would be an issue; I wonder why that is. As long as they only used in port (and off ship) and stored in one's stateroom while onboard, I don't see what the issue would be with bicycles.

OP, you could always try river cruises as some river cruise lines do have bicycles for use in port.
#6
New Brunswick
40,796 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Alberta Quilter
Thanks for posting the link, Kazu. I've never seen that listing before (I've never looked for it). I did notice that drones were on the list, too. I'm not surprised but we have seen links here on CC to drone videos so I guess some have gotten through (or were recently added to the list). I'm a little surprised that the bicycles would be an issue; I wonder why that is. As long as they only used in port (and off ship) and stored in one's stateroom while onboard, I don't see what the issue would be with bicycles.

OP, you could always try river cruises as some river cruise lines do have bicycles for use in port.
You are most welcome AQ.
Segways were permitted on our Westerdam cruise and it was only to be used in port and not on board. The idiot was riding around it on the Lido deck and in hallways with no care about anyone else. After he hit a passenger it was taken away. (He had already been warned once about doing it).

I would never have thought anyone would ride a Segway on board either so perchance the same type of inicident either happened as well with a bike or HAL has just gotten stricter because of the actions like the jerk on our cruise?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

#7
Windsor, ON
3,797 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Can you imagine the congestion in the hallways and the gangways with bicycles? or elevators? you got to be kidding.
#8
2,905 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
They are also banned on Princess and Carnival as well. I suspect it goes across all CCL owned lines. They are not listed in the Celebrity web site of banned items.
#9
Alberta
3,964 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by boards
Can you imagine the congestion in the hallways and the gangways with bicycles? or elevators? you got to be kidding.

Honestly, I can't see the congestion being much worse with a few bicycles thrown into the mix. It's not like everyone brings a bicycle.
#11
FL
3,215 Posts
Joined May 2013
Wow - what a blow for many reasons! Some crew, including senior officers, have bikes on board - there is even a bike 'technician' who will fix your bike for a small fee plus I know several guests who travel with their folding bikes on the longer cruises. Know a HAL hotel director and his director wife who travel with their bicycle built for 2. They are entitled to 2 cabins so use 1 for storage and 'quiet' time.

Wonder if HAL will allow an exemption as they do for golf clubs - might be worth asking.
#12
Colorado
1,141 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Just a followup. We have taken our bikes for close to 10 years on HAL. There occasionally has been one other bike on board, so it's a small group. To me, one of the ironies is that HAL is nominally Dutch and the Netherlands is the most bike friendly country - bicycles are a huge part of their culture. We use our bikes for transport (i.e. tour), so it really doesn't work to "rent bikes in port" - we've tried that on occasion but any distance on a bike that does fit causes injury. We realize we are a minority and try to be respectful of others. It's just sad to have to return to using airplanes as our only option to cross the seas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://worldviaqe.blogspot.com/


Costa Mediterranea - Venice to Istanbul R/T
HAL Rotterdam - Copenhagen to Rotterdam - Baltic Capitals
NCL - Pride of Aloha - Oahu R/T
Hurtegrutin - Bergen to Kirkenes - Northbound
HAL Maasdam - Maritimes - Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale
HAL Volendam - Alaska - Vancouver - Skagway R/T
HAL Volendam - Mexican Riveria - San Diego R/T
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles
Croatia - Bike and Boat Dalmatian Islands
HAL Volendam - Auckland - Vancouver - TP - 3/2012
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean - 12/2011 - 1/29/14
Norwegian Pearl - Family Alaska cruise
Queen Elizabeth SFO - SOU World Cruise 2/8/15
HAL Prinsendam - TA - Baltic - Norway 5/15/16
HAL Zaandam - Antarctica 2017
HAL Maasdam - Family cruise Montreal to Boston - June 2017
HAL Veendam - R/T FLL to Amazon and Rio (booked but cancelled by HAL)
Cunard QE - WC 2018 SFO to SOU (segments booked)
#13
Colorado
1,141 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by take us away
Wow - what a blow for many reasons! Some crew, including senior officers, have bikes on board - there is even a bike 'technician' who will fix your bike for a small fee plus I know several guests who travel with their folding bikes on the longer cruises. Know a HAL hotel director and his director wife who travel with their bicycle built for 2. They are entitled to 2 cabins so use 1 for storage and 'quiet' time.

Wonder if HAL will allow an exemption as they do for golf clubs - might be worth asking.
Thanks for the support. I am wondering about the staff bikes - but they seem to have different rules. As older travelers, we're starting to have issues with walking and use our bike (tandem) as a mobility aid in port (and at home). I may have more conversations with them, but right now I'm just sad that HAL has made this change. We have a HAL trip (family w/o bikes) already scheduled - to be honest, if the family wasn't coming, I'd cancel it today.

This came up because we are looking to book a cruise this week and I always ask - Carnival told us they would confiscate and dispose of our $$$ bike . At this point, while we would probably not have taken our bikes (Amazon cruise), my attitude toward HAL is so low that we may just cancel that, too.

Again, we know we are a minority, but cycling is part of our life and we've really enjoyed HAL as well. It's sad to have such an arbitrary change affect the next ten years of our travel life.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://worldviaqe.blogspot.com/


Costa Mediterranea - Venice to Istanbul R/T
HAL Rotterdam - Copenhagen to Rotterdam - Baltic Capitals
NCL - Pride of Aloha - Oahu R/T
Hurtegrutin - Bergen to Kirkenes - Northbound
HAL Maasdam - Maritimes - Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale
HAL Volendam - Alaska - Vancouver - Skagway R/T
HAL Volendam - Mexican Riveria - San Diego R/T
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal - Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles
Croatia - Bike and Boat Dalmatian Islands
HAL Volendam - Auckland - Vancouver - TP - 3/2012
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean - 12/2011 - 1/29/14
Norwegian Pearl - Family Alaska cruise
Queen Elizabeth SFO - SOU World Cruise 2/8/15
HAL Prinsendam - TA - Baltic - Norway 5/15/16
HAL Zaandam - Antarctica 2017
HAL Maasdam - Family cruise Montreal to Boston - June 2017
HAL Veendam - R/T FLL to Amazon and Rio (booked but cancelled by HAL)
Cunard QE - WC 2018 SFO to SOU (segments booked)
#14
2,905 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Originally posted by kahtrav
Thanks for the support. I am wondering about the staff bikes - but they seem to have different rules. As older travelers, we're starting to have issues with walking and use our bike (tandem) as a mobility aid in port (and at home). I may have more conversations with them, but right now I'm just sad that HAL has made this change. We have a HAL trip (family w/o bikes) already scheduled - to be honest, if the family wasn't coming, I'd cancel it today.

This came up because we are looking to book a cruise this week and I always ask - Carnival told us they would confiscate and dispose of our $$$ bike . At this point, while we would probably not have taken our bikes (Amazon cruise), my attitude toward HAL is so low that we may just cancel that, too.

Again, we know we are a minority, but cycling is part of our life and we've really enjoyed HAL as well. It's sad to have such an arbitrary change affect the next ten years of our travel life.

The decision may be many things, but I doubt it is arbitrary. I would be pretty sure that they have encountered some problems, somewhere, with bicycles, and thus the addition.
#15
106,657 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Thank you everyone for all the information -- bikes, segways, drones.


It is sad that some people abuse rules about using certain items on a ship and ruin it for everyone else.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
#16
Ottawa, Canada
490 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
We were allowed to take two folding bikes (in suitcases) on board a Norwegian cruise to Bermuda a few years ago. Since we were docked for two nights we were able to tour the entire island on two wheels, at our leisure. The bikes were stored in our cabin and wheeled on and off the ship each morning, without inconveniencing any of our fellow passengers.
For those who are curious, bikes are allowed as oversize baggage on most airlines - for a fee. We do a lot of cycle-touring (our preferred method of travel) and have thought about taking our bikes to Europe on a re-positioning cruise; it sounds like that option will no longer be available if all cruise lines decide to adopt the same policy.
#17
Tampa, Florida
3,702 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by kahtrav
Thanks for the support. I am wondering about the staff bikes - but they seem to have different rules. As older travelers, we're starting to have issues with walking and use our bike (tandem) as a mobility aid in port (and at home). I may have more conversations with them, but right now I'm just sad that HAL has made this change. We have a HAL trip (family w/o bikes) already scheduled - to be honest, if the family wasn't coming, I'd cancel it today.

This came up because we are looking to book a cruise this week and I always ask - Carnival told us they would confiscate and dispose of our $$$ bike . At this point, while we would probably not have taken our bikes (Amazon cruise), my attitude toward HAL is so low that we may just cancel that, too.

Again, we know we are a minority, but cycling is part of our life and we've really enjoyed HAL as well. It's sad to have such an arbitrary change affect the next ten years of our travel life.
Have you asked HAL why this change? It may not be as arbitrary as you think.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me HERE
#18
New Cumberland,PA, USA
27,342 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by avian777
Which other cruise lines allow passengers to bring bulky non-medical items (such as bicycles) on board? Also, if you are flying to your departure port cities, do the airlines allow you to check your bicycles without charging additional fees? If so, it might be more economical to rent bicycles whenever/wherever you need them than it is to bring your own along on the cruise. Just a thought.
Smooth sailing/cycling ...

Some cruise lines (i.e. Celebrity, MSC, etc)) even allow passengers to bring motorcycles aboard (on a few special cruises). In fact, we know one Celebrity Captain who often brings one of his two Harley's aboard.....but Captains are truly the Master of the vessel.

Hank
#19
California, USA
126 Posts
Joined May 2010
kahtrav

We were on the Prinsendam with you last year. We really enjoyed seeing you guys heading out for your rides. Certainly there were no issues whenever you were moving your transport on and off the ship as you guys were always very courteous and careful.

Sad.

But even sadder for me personally as you inspired me to consider taking a folding bike on board for touring. I had seen it done before on a Princess cruise we had taken earlier, plus we had seen crew members with bikes also. But you guys looked like you just were having SO MUCH FUN! Such a cool thing - a folding tandem....

I just find this decision to be very curious. I wonder if there is anyone we can contact at HAL? I purposely used the phrase "your transport" as it is really no different from wheelchairs or scooters.
#20
Southwest Florida
10,354 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by kahtrav
Thanks for the support. I am wondering about the staff bikes - but they seem to have different rules. As older travelers, we're starting to have issues with walking and use our bike (tandem) as a mobility aid in port (and at home). I may have more conversations with them, but right now I'm just sad that HAL has made this change. We have a HAL trip (family w/o bikes) already scheduled - to be honest, if the family wasn't coming, I'd cancel it today.

This came up because we are looking to book a cruise this week and I always ask - Carnival told us they would confiscate and dispose of our $$$ bike . At this point, while we would probably not have taken our bikes (Amazon cruise), my attitude toward HAL is so low that we may just cancel that, too.

Again, we know we are a minority, but cycling is part of our life and we've really enjoyed HAL as well. It's sad to have such an arbitrary change affect the next ten years of our travel life.
Have you looked into getting folding bikes.. I posted about this on another thread today..IMO I would go to special services & or the Presidents offices & request an exception to this rule as long as you agree to store the bikes in your cabin.. Folding bikes can be put in sacks & either fit under the beds or on your balcony.. If they make an exception for golf clubs (which is on the same list), I don't see why they will not make an exception for folding bikes..I believe that Copper 10-8 posted on the other thread & said HAL would permit bikes, but the post was in Dutch & English..I have seen bikes on long haul cruises on both HAL & other lines & yes airlines will permit bikes on board in the hold..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.