Holland America's Oprah Cruise Will Feature Special Singers and Speakers

LauraS

OMG! I think I would be sick if I happened to be on one of these cruises. All this "getting to know yourself" is just crazy. I hope HAL will tell people when booking if this stuff is going to be on the cruise they select so that they can avoid it if they wish to.

OMG! I think I would be sick if I happened to be on one of these cruises. All this "getting to know yourself" is just crazy. I hope HAL will tell people when booking if this stuff is going to be on the cruise they select so that they can avoid it if they wish to.

Then, in addition to the July 15, 2017 Eurodam cruise, avoid these cruises::)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ShareTheAdventure_TileLP&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&ICID=PROM_PartnershipLP

It appears that all cruises departing in 2017 and 2018 from North American ports will have some "Oprah themed" activities/menus on board, but it looks as if they'll be easily avoidable:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=SharetheAdventure_OnboardPrograms&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&legacy=true&ICID=PROM_PartnershipLP

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ShareTheAdventure_TileLP&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&ICID=PROM_PartnershipLP

It appears that all cruises departing in 2017 and 2018 from North American ports will have some "Oprah themed" activities/menus on board, but it looks as if they'll be easily avoidable:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=SharetheAdventure_OnboardPrograms&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&legacy=true&ICID=PROM_PartnershipLP

There is talk Oprah might run for President in 2018. Hopefully sh e and all her cronies will be too busy to sail. Does Orrlando really think this kind of policital conneciton is a great idea? I hope not. Maybe someone will clue him in. Maybe the'll hink it fine if she c ampaaigns aboard :rolleyes:. That could saave HAL lots of money. Have her make campaign speeches in show loung e instead of hiring singers and dancers.

As much as some from U.S. might hate that scenario, or even love itt, I cannot imgine what those from other couuntries would t not like it much iff i ended up on an Oprah cruise if I forgogt to ksk when I booked..

Edited by sail7seas

There is talk Oprah might run for President in 2018. Hopefully sh e and all her cronies will be too busy to sail. Does Orrlando really thtink this kind of policital conneciton is a great idea? I hope not. Maybe someone will clue him in. Maybe think it he'll hink it fine it she c ampaaigns aboard :rolleyes:. T%hat could saave HAL ton of money. Have her make campaigns speeches in show loung e instead of hiring singers ann dancers.

Now that is funny:D Thanks for the laugh:D

Now that is funny:D Thanks for the laugh:D

:D Sadly,, I think this whole project is a big joke. :)

I have meant to thank you for your signature quote so many times and finally will take this oppportunityl. i Love it. ''I have learned so much from my mistakes, I, too am thtinking of making a few more. ;) Great !

I'm sure there are probably some HAL cruisers who would be perfectly delighted, or at least remotely interested in an "Oprah" cruise experience, but Mightycruiseking & I don't fall into any part of that spectrum. :/

Really, HAL's idea of the BB King Blues club was absolutely brilliant, and raised the entertainment bar, in my opinion, but this Oprah thing just sounds like such a total nosedive.

Well, least they're not putting grass on their ships...yet.

Well, lots of us have been asking for more activities on board. I guess it's a case of be careful what you wish for...

Just when I finally book the HAL 14-Day Great Alaskan Explorer for next year - this happens.....

Since this starts in August I am guessing that there won't be much or any feedback from the 2017 sailings on how to avoid all of this so now I need to look for another cruise option :( Really disappointed!

Just when I finally book the HAL 14-Day Great Alaskan Explorer for next year - this happens.....

Since this starts in August I am guessing that there won't be much or any feedback from the 2017 sailings on how to avoid all of this so now I need to look for another cruise option :( Really disappointed!

I don't think it will be that bad. The cruise Oprah spends a few days on and the big Oprah-themed cruises could be too much. But the other cruises shouldn't present much of a problem. The CC article bears little resemblance to the HAL website page that applies to all cruises.

Lectures and entertainers are probably just on the few Oprah-intensive cruises. And even if they are on other cruises, don't go if they don't appeal to you.

According to the HAL website, Oprah-influenced items are:

--Exercise classes. I don't do those anyway, so not a biggie for me.

--Oprah-themed clothing (Love that!). If it's a lecture on how to dress, I'll pass. If it's stuff in the shops, I don't shop onboard anyhow, so not a biggie for me.

--Book club. Go if the book interests you, don't go if you don't like the book. Not a biggie, unless they give everyone a copy of the book and assign homework.:eek:

--Healthy eating. OK, this could be an issue, depending on how pervasive it is. So maybe they'll add a "healthy choice" item to the menu. I'll eat it if it's something I like. If not I'll order something else. But if they go overboard on the healthy thing and take away that decadent Lido bread pudding, there WILL be a mutiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I don't think it will be that bad. The cruise Oprah spends a few days on and the big Oprah-themed cruises could be too much. But the other cruises shouldn't present much of a problem. The CC article bears little resemblance to the HAL website page that applies to all cruises.

Lectures and entertainers are probably just on the few Oprah-intensive cruises. And even if they are on other cruises, don't go if they don't appeal to you.

According to the HAL website, Oprah-influenced items are:

--Exercise classes. I don't do those anyway, so not a biggie for me.

--Oprah-themed clothing (Love that!). If it's a lecture on how to dress, I'll pass. If it's stuff in the shops, I don't shop onboard anyhow, so not a biggie for me.

--Book club. Go if the book interests you, don't go if you don't like the book. Not a biggie, unless they give everyone a copy of the book and assign homework.:eek:

--Healthy eating. OK, this could be an issue, depending on how pervasive it is. So maybe they'll add a "healthy choice" item to the menu. I'll eat it if it's something I like. If not I'll order something else. But if they go overboard on the healthy thing and take away that decadent Lido bread pudding, there WILL be a mutiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I am sure there are some people that wouldn't mind however, I choose to spend my limited vacation time and dollars on an Alaska cruise that doesn't have the potential of surrounding me with Oprah. And I'm not willing to risk that lectures and venues around the ship pertain to the items that you describe and what HAL is promoting - or that this is all that is offered while on board.

This trip has been on my bucket list for some time and a big expense for me....

I'm booked on this September's Great Alaskan Explorer (September 11-25, on the Amsterdam), and it is NOT one of the Oprah cruises. For the Alaska trips, they wanted the cruise to be no more than 7 days -- at least that's what my PCC told me when I asked about it. So I'm guessing you're safe for the 2018 edition of this itinerary.

If I hear otherwise, I'll post here.

Lana

I'm booked on this September's Great Alaskan Explorer (September 11-25, on the Amsterdam), and it is NOT one of the Oprah cruises. For the Alaska trips, they wanted the cruise to be no more than 7 days -- at least that's what my PCC told me when I asked about it. So I'm guessing you're safe for the 2018 edition of this itinerary.

If I hear otherwise, I'll post here.

Lana

You are correct and she will not be on board for your sailing. However, that is not the extent of what is being marketed through 2018. Here is a link to the other thread on the topic..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2462855

• 3 weeks later...

this is sad......we had just put a deposit down on another trip that will be effected by this. I don't understand the appeal myself but it would have definitely been better to have just advertised ahead that she and her entourage was going to be on a certain cruise so those wanting to go along could and those of us who don't could avoid it ahead of time. Don't care for her politics or social views and I go on vacation to get away from anything remotely related to that. Hope this is temporary or it might shift us back toward Princess despite some of their higher prices.

this is sad......we had just put a deposit down on another trip that will be effected by this. I don't understand the appeal myself but it would have definitely been better to have just advertised ahead that she and her entourage was going to be on a certain cruise so those wanting to go along could and those of us who don't could avoid it ahead of time. Don't care for her politics or social views and I go on vacation to get away from anything remotely related to that. Hope this is temporary or it might shift us back toward Princess despite some of their higher prices.

She's only on one cruise. Is that the one you booked, or is it one of the 4 or 5 Oprah-themed cruises that she will not be on?

yes we are booked on the one she is on......apparently our travel agent did not know back when we booked it

If it makes you feel better, I think I read somewhere that Oprah isn't going to be on the whole time. So part of your cruise might be a celebrity circus. But maybe part of it will be calmer. I hope so. At this point, you just have to focus on how great Alaska itself will be.

When I think of Oprah, I think self-help, not political. I don't think the purpose of these cruises is to launch a campaign.

Roz

I must be one of the exception to all of you that are opposed to an Oprah themed cruise. My political leanings are not aligned with Oprah but I booked on one of her cruises intentionally after hearing about her themed cruises.

I'm a frequent cruiser and have cruised on Holland American Line in the past but currently I mainly cruise on RCCL. Maybe if I didn't cruise so often I wouldn't want to share my time with enrichment lectures while vacationing, but I do cruise often and I think this will add another dimension to my upcoming trip.

BTW I won't cruise with the Oprah themed cruise until March 2018.

Another example of Orlando not understanding what his core base wants.

Like:)

That is one cruise we will avoid like the plague....but do wish HAL well (we are stockholders).

Hank

In fairness to Oprah, I can't think of any celebrity-focused cruise I would want to be a part of. One of the things I love most about being at sea is getting away from the constant barrage of media "noise" about famous people and their opinions. It's just so nice to focus on the natural world instead. So another one here who would avoid an Oprah cruise.