Compassionate refund

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:22 AM.
Ipswich, QLD.
174 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Has anyone had any experience getting a compassionate refund or credit towards another cruise? The cruise was booked directly with P&O. We were due to sail on 8 April on Pacific Dawn. On the morning of the cruise my Mother had a massive heart attack. We stayed with her until she passed away the following morning. My travel insurance doesn't include cancellation.
New york
32 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Had similar situation with a friend that was hospitalized before our cruise and their family missed it - all 6 people. Email the cruise line with all the information and a copy of death certificate. They will likely give you the credit to your next cruise. You loose nothing by trying this and gain if you get anything. They got a full credit which they are using towards a cruise this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Miracle January 2013
Carnival Splendor January 2014
Carnival Splendor August 2014
Carnival Freedom January 2015
Carnival Splendor July 2015
Carnival Splendor August 2016
Norwegian Gem January 2016
Carnival Sunshine July 2017
Carnival Sunshine August 2017
and more to come.....
lawrenceburg, ky
25 Posts
Joined May 2002
I'm so sorry for your loss. However, I'm glad you were there to say goodbye to mom. We were in ST Thomas when my mother-in-law passed away. Not being there was difficult for my husband. What type of travel insurance does not let you cancel for the death of a family member? That's the main reason I purchase the travel insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums