The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:25 PM.
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
So, maybe time for a couple more posts about the balcony cabin this afternoon. Aside from being almost a clone of our cabin on the Coral, the closet space, and the bath on the Grand was even smaller.

We probably overpacked a little, but we were going to be gone for two weeks and we planned to do laundry for our workout clothes a couple times during the trip. In addition to our workout clothes and smart casual clothes, we also had a tux, tux shirts, three formal gowns, and 10 pair of shoes packed in our two bags. I know, 10 pair of shoes!!! But two pair were flip flops, so maybe they really are not shoes. Then there were a pair for my tux, a pair for smart casual, and a pair of running shoes. DW had to have a pair for each of her gowns, running shoes and a pair for smart casual. The closet floor space was not large enough for 10 pair without stacking them.

There were about 20 hangers in the closet, so we had enough, but only because we packed all our formal clothes with their hangers. Still, all of our clothes fit there and on the shelves. We did see some couples that had four large suitcases, so unless they had suites with large closets, I don't know where they would find room for that much.

The room safe was large enough for a iPad, but it would not be large enough for a laptop. The bath sink area had three shelves that would hold everything we needed, and it appeared if you brought a night light, the wall plug would work without the light switch being on. I had a battery operated magnetic light that I brought and attached to the door this time.

The shower with the patented clingy curtain was typically cramped.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark
Grand Princess - April-May, 2017 -Hawaii Review with photos
Celebrity Summit - January, 2017 Review with photos
Oasis of the Seas - November, 2015 Review with photos
Coral Princess - April 2014 -Panama Canal Review with photos
Allure of the Seas - March, 2013
Voyager of the Seas - March, 2012
Grandeur of the Seas - September, 2010
Serenade of the Seas – May, 2010
Independence of the Seas - March, 2009
Serenade of the Seas – Nov, 2007
First Cruise – SS Norway – Aug, 1980
Several between on Carnival, Princess, RCI

Future cruises
Serenade of the Seas – Jan, 2018
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
There is, of course, a lack of plugs for all the things you need to plug in or charge. There are two by the desk, and they are so close together, a wide charger will overlap both.

There was an open slot in the outlet for the tv, and this was a convenient place to charge our iPhones, iPads and Fitbits using the belkin. Some we talked to this cruise had extension cords confiscated, but we have never had a problem with this adapter.

Our muster station was the Vista Lounge. Princess still requires you to get your life vest from the cabin and drag it to the muster station and put it on. Some other cruise lines abandoned the requirement to bring your life vest, because of people tripping over dragging straps. Perhaps it is time for Princess to follow that lead.

Embarkation day is when you typically receive a ton of paper in your cabin. Shore excursions for every port, upsell specials, and the first of the Patters will appear. Here are the beverage, and specialty dining costs that were in our cabin.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We had taken a tour of the spa and fitness center. I know some like to plan for massages and other treatments, so here are some of the current costs from our cruise.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
After the 3:30 muster drill, it was time for a couple photos from the ship before heading to dinner.

Coit tower in the Telegraph Hill Section

Port sign

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We thought we may get a chance to see the ship sail out beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, since it was due to sail at 4:00. However, sailing was delayed until 6:00.

We had an early 5:30 seating in the Botticelli Dining Room. We had requested a table for 8, and found that Princess had given us a table for 6. Before our first two table mates got to our table, we heard them tell the waiter "We requested a table for two. We don't want to sit there." So the waiter pointed them in the direction of a line to wait to see if they could get a two top.

So now, the next couple comes in, and they say "We requested a table for two. We are not vey happy." What a way to start out. Maybe it was us. But they decided to stay there instead of going to the long line with people unhappy with their tables.

Tonight's menu had prime rib, so to choice for both of us was easy.

Done just right at medium rare, and very tasty. Here were the other choices for the evening.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
130 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Im really enjoying your posts! Husband and I are going to Hawaii on the Grand in November so Im reading as much as I can about it. Looking forward to seeing the daily schedules so I know what the sea days are like. Thanks for doing this!

Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by dverzic
Im really enjoying your posts! Husband and I are going to Hawaii on the Grand in November so Im reading as much as I can about it. Looking forward to seeing the daily schedules so I know what the sea days are like. Thanks for doing this!

Thanks for following along. I hope you find something useful from the posts. It may take a while to get through all 15 days, since I am just finishing up day 1.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
So speaking of Daily Schedules, here is the Embarkation Day Schedule. It gives you the itinerary, nightly dress code, entertainment highlights, as well as the activities for today.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
The Patters always include special inserts, so since they are shopping related, this may be the only day I post the inserts, unless someone wants to see them.

These were included the first day.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
Southern Californai
99 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
H20Skibum you have great color and clarity in your photos. Is it the photographer, the camera or the photo enhancing that is making these pictures look so great? Is it a combo of the mentioned or is it a great camera? I am impressed with the sharpness and would like to know what type of camera the brand make and model is fine. Thank you very much for the info
Vancouver = Canada
293 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I looked at the Patter you posted... but could not see where could you sign up for yuk lessons? Is it something you have to do on Day one?
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by Fat Albert
H20Skibum you have great color and clarity in your photos. Is it the photographer, the camera or the photo enhancing that is making these pictures look so great? Is it a combo of the mentioned or is it a great camera? I am impressed with the sharpness and would like to know what type of camera the brand make and model is fine. Thank you very much for the info

It is definitely not the photographer. I have an old Nikon P100 which was a mega-zoom camera at the time it came out, with a 26x zoom. Some of the newer models have larger zooms now. Probably most of the photos were taken with an iPhone 6S.

I have an SD card adapter that lets me transfer photos from the SD card through the lightning adapter to my iPad Air. That way, I can see what they look like on the larger screen.

Talking about photos, my Nikon has a feature that lets you set the time zone you are shooting in. I just had to remember to set it to a new time zone each time we changed our clocks on the trip. That way, when I set the new time zones on the iPhones, the dates and times of the pictures from both would be in sync.

I may do a little cropping and realigning in the iPhone or iPad photos app, and most everything I am doing here is being done on the iPad and uploaded with the Cruise Critic app. The exception is, I am scanning the Patters, then emailing the digital files so they are on my iPad.

For some of the post processing and effects, I use an app called Stackables. It is $1.99 in the App Store, but I got it when it was free. I like the tilt shift effect I used for the photo of the Aloha tower.

So most everything I am doing here is being done on the iPad and uploaded with the Cruise Critic app. The exception, is I am scanning the Patters, then emailing the digital files so they are on my iPad.

I do have another app that I used for the menus that will get posted later. It is an app called photoscan, by google photos. It is a free app, and it works like a mini-scanner using the iPhone camera. It guides you through taking a series of photos of a document, then combines them to remove glare.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
League City TX
1,068 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
This will be cool to read. Our first trip to Hawaii was cruise on the Solstice sailing from Honolulu, repositioning to Vancouver for the Alaska season. Next year we decided to spend a week on Oahu. We have looked at this cruise before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Somewhere under the sun"
Carnival Inspiration 12/30/01
Rhapsody of the Seas 08/03/03
Carnival Celebration 12/06/03
Grand Princess 12/04/04
Explorer of the Seas Sept 04, 2005
Carnival Conquest April 30, 2006
Splendour of the Seas Jan 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas April 2007
Adventure of the Seas May 2008
Carnival Ecstasy Sept 2008 Ike chased us back home
Carnival Conquest Sept 20, 2009
Golden Princess-Alaska May 29, 2010
Carnival Conquest May 1, 2011
Mariner of the Seas Nov 11 2011
Carnival Magic April 29, 2012
NCL Star-Bermuda Sept 02, 2012
Carnival Breeze Nov 24, 2012
Caribbean Princess Nov 16, 2013
Celebrity Solstice-Hawaii April 28, 2014
Carnival Magic Oct 5, 2014
NCL Dawn-Bermuda July 3, 2015
Adventure of the Seas B2B May 20/28 2016 the heart attack cruise..... don't leave home without travel insurance
Carnival Breeze May 2018 cruising again
Inland Empire, CA
9,891 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Deleted post.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan' 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Inland Empire, CA
9,891 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by h20skibum
Embarkation day is when you typically receive a ton of paper in your cabin. Shore excursions for every port, upsell specials, and the first of the Patters will appear. Here are the beverage, and specialty dining costs that were in our cabin.

Good to see the Wine Packages being advertised.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruise: 09/18 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific Crossing
Past Cruises: 11/16 - Pacific Princess - Adriatic & Aegean Connoisseur; 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera; 2/15 - Crown Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Santa Barbara; 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Left cruise in Mykonos after 6 days due to family medical issue at home); 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF; 01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina; 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic; 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal; 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal; 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm); 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal; 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera; 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers; 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise); 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise); 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii; 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera; 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston; 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL; 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan' 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)
Washington State
2,849 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Excellent review with wonderful photos. My wife and I have done the Hawaii cruise twice from Los Angeles. Looking forward to the rest of your review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Explorer of the Seas (Pacific Coastal) - 10/16 ... Photos ... Compasses
Ruby Princess (Sea of Cortez) - 3/16 ... Photos ... Patters
Star Princess (Hawaii) - 3/14 ... Photos ... Patters
Coral Princess (Panama Canal) - 4/12 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Alaska) - 6/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Hawaii) - 1/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Mariner of the Seas (Mexico) - 12/09 ... Photos ... Compasses
Sapphire Princess (Mexico) - 2/09 ... Photos ... Patters
Star Princess (Alaska) - 5/08 ... Photos ... Patters
Dawn Princess (Caribbean) - 4/05 ... Photos ... Patters
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexico) -1/01 ... Compasses
Carnival Holiday (Mexico) - 1/99 ... Capers
RCCL Song of America (Mexico) - 3/97 ... Compasses
Carnival Imagination (Caribbean) - 4/96 ... Capers
Celebrity Meridian (Caribbean) - 3/94 ...Photos ... Dailies
NCL Southward (Mexico) - 7/93 ... Dailies
Carnival Jubilee (Mexico) - 2/91 ... Photos ... Capers
Arlington, VA
598 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Hi h20skibum,

Thanks for your posts and lovely photos. We will be on the Grand for the first time in three weeks for the Alaska cruise. Two questions for you if you happen to know:
--Did any of the ship's officers say if they were staying on for the Alaska season or changing out? The CD or chef or Maitre d' in particular.
--I did not see lunch in one of the dining rooms listed in the embarkation Patter you posted. There have been several posts on the Princess board that this option is going away. Do you know if there was lunch in the MDR--should have been Da Vinci, I believe.

Glad you had a good trip and thanks again for the information!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lori and Chris

NYE W.Caribbean, Caribbean Princess, 2016/2017; CA Coastal Ruby Princess Oct 2016; QM2 TA (with the dogs!) May 2016; Hurtigruten Trollfjord 2016; Island Princess Grand Med 2015; MSC Splendida Mediterranean 2012; Ruby Princess New Year's 2011/2012; Pacific Princess Renaissance Passage 2010; Royal Princess Caribbean Calypso 2008; Coral Princess to Panama Canal; Dawn Princess to Mexican Rivierva 2005; Punting the River Cam 2006; Celebrity Constellation to S. Caribbean 2004; Quark to Antarctica 2000; MSC Argentina to Brazil 1999; Thompson Nile Cruise 1995; Premier to Bahamas 1987

Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by kitegirl
I looked at the Patter you posted... but could not see where could you sign up for yuk lessons? Is it something you have to do on Day one?

The first lessons, as well as the hula lessons start on the first sea day. I will probably get to post that Patter tomorrow. They said there were over 60 doing the ukulele for our trip.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark

Future cruises
Western PA
1,203 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by txskier
This will be cool to read. Our first trip to Hawaii was cruise on the Solstice sailing from Honolulu, repositioning to Vancouver for the Alaska season. Next year we decided to spend a week on Oahu. We have looked at this cruise before.

It is always better to spend time there to give you more time to see things.

Enjoy

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark