P&O Aurora - What can you tell me

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:55 PM.
#1
UK
515 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
What can you tell me about P&O Aurora


Have 2 cruises booked on her, one in 2018 and one in 2019 and to be honest I dont really know much about Aurora, It was the itineraries that drew me to her !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
49 Nights at Sea, 13 Countries, 6 Cruises, 4 Ships...
#2
Brisbane Australia
1,244 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Aurora is a beautiful ship. Just a good size. We have been on her twice now and would be among my favourite ships in 19 cruises over 5 different lines.
If you enjoy dancing - Carmens lounge is for you. Nice sized dance floor and normally quite good music. We had dinner in the Beachouse twice in the last cruise - food was amazing.
mummsie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing is the poetry of the foot. -- John Dryden

Mummsie



Cruises booked for 2017

P&O Aurora - San Francisco to Southampton via Panama Canal - March and April 2017

Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand to Sydney - December 2017


past cruises
P&O Arcadia 1974 - Pacific ***
Sapphire Princess January 2005 - New Zealand ****
Pacific Princess December 2005 - Pacific ****
Superstar Gemini July 2006 - Singapore ****
Pacific Princess 21 January 2007 - Pacific ****
Norwegian Sun 6 May 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage ****
Sun Princess January 2008 - Pacific ***
Superstar Aquarius June 2008 - Singapore **
Norwegian Jewel 'Baltics' 22/5/09 ****
2 day repo cruise Pacific Dawn 17/12/09 ***
Costa Romantica 29/5/10 - Singapore **
Celebrity Eclipse 4/6/11 - Med *****
Celebrity Eclipse 7/7/12 - Iceland and Norway *****
Celebrity Reflection 11/10/13 - Eastern Med *****
Radiance of the Seas 3/2/14 - Pacific *** at best
Sapphire Princess 29/12/14 - Asia *****
Royal Princess 9/5/15 ****
P&O Aurora March 16 ****
Carnival Spirit October 16 *** (family cruise)
#3
England
511 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by cruisefan2012
What can you tell me about P&O Aurora


Have 2 cruises booked on her, one in 2018 and one in 2019 and to be honest I dont really know much about Aurora, It was the itineraries that drew me to her !!
We are on Aurora now (for the first time) and having a great cruise. Love the ship and will be publishing a detailed review when we return home next week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Oriana x 2, Oceana x 2, Azura, Ventura x 2, Britannia x 2, Aurora)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 5 cruises (Aurora x 2, Britannia, Arcadia)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
#4
Dorset, UK
8,782 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Perhaps my favourite ship. It's warm, welcoming, is just the right size for us and has an understated charm imo. It's not a glitzy ship but personally that isn't something which attracts me - often the decor in more modern bigger ships feels cold to me and a bit like shopping malls - nice to look at but lacking in cosy, comfy areas to settle down and relax. But that's just personal preference of course.

The Crow's Nest is large and comfortable, there always seems to be plenty of room in lounges and the tiered stern is lovely. Lots of outside space. The cinema is a bonus as far as I'm concerned too.

To say Aurora is smaller than Azura I find her far more spacious - there just seems to be more public areas compared to the passenger load to be accommodated.

Not a wow factor ship but I'd be delighted to book this ship for the right itinerary. We are in the same position re Arcadia - have two trips booked but yet to travel on her. I've watched a few YouTube tours which has given me a feel of what to expect and from reports I've read and friends' opinions I don't think we'll be disappointed. Being in a similar position though I do appreciate your search for more info. I trust you won't be disappointed either. She's a lovely ship.
#5
Oxfordshire
515 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
She is one of the best ships we have sailed on, and that includes Seabourn ones and Cunard.

She was our first big ship back in Oct 2001 and we have loved her ever since.

She takes the seas extremely well, having been built to do so. Her stern is beautifully tiered, something P&O of old used to do when they built their ships. Unfortunately they will never build a ship so beautifully again.

Her Atrium is lovely, with a Lalique glass sculpture with water running down it. It is not a glizty ship, but none of P&O's ships are - thank God. Andersons Bar is like a Gentleman's Lounge Bar - very very nice, one of the best bars around. Her Crow's Nest is also one of the best with the bar centrally located at the back. The outside bars are all great, the Pennant Bar especially having a great view of the wake of the ship. As someone else has mentioned, she has one of the best dance floors around, something that seems to be disappearing from ships nowadays. The Library has got smaller as it's been moved from where it used to be - where Sindhu now is. The MDR's are very nice. We've always had Club Dining and used to always be placed in the Alexandria Restaurant which we prefer, but now, of course, that is only for Club Dining and the Oriental is for Freedom dining only. As mentioned she now has a Sindhu, which is Atul Kochar's restaurant. He is a Michelin starred chef and, having eaten in his restaurant in London, I can assure you the food is excellent, almost as good as on land. As mentioned by someone else, she has a Beach House which is well worth trying.

She has always had a lovely atmosphere and a day at sea on her, sunbathing out on deck, is a wonderful experience. I have many happy memories of her even now.

Highly recommended!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature







Previous Cruises:- Seabourn Goddess II - Aug 2001 Aurora - Oct 2001 Oriana - Nov 2001 Hebridean Spirit - June 2002 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2002 Seabourn Legend - July 2003 Seabourn Pride - Aug 2003 Adonia (Old one) - July 2004 Hebridean Spirit - Oct 2004 Aurora - Nov 2005 Aurora - Aug 2006 Arcadia - June 2007 QM2 - May 2008 Arcadia - June 2009 Arcadia - Nov 2009 Azura - April 2010 Azura - July 2011 Azura - Aug 2012 Arcadia - Oct 2012 Oceana - July 2013 Adonia - Aug 2013 Arcadia - June 2014 Adonia - Aug 2014 Arcadia - Dec 2014 Arcadia - July 2015 (2 cruises back to back) Britannia - Sept 2015 Aurora - Dec 2015 Oceana - March 2016 Britannia - July 2016
#6
739 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by cruisefan2012
What can you tell me about P&O Aurora


Have 2 cruises booked on her, one in 2018 and one in 2019 and to be honest I dont really know much about Aurora, It was the itineraries that drew me to her !!
Absolutely endorse what mummsie and Cruise Puss say. Aurora was the first P&O ship we sailed on after a long break from cruising, the year after a cruise with RCI, and I absolutely loved Aurora. Lovely, friendly atmosphere, beautiful ship to look at, loads of deck space, understated elegance. We are back on her this summer and I can't wait!
#7
Epsom, England
603 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Just reading this thread (thanks for all the posts so far from everyone) as I will be sailing on her for the 1st time and 1st for P&O and 1st Christmas at sea as well. I have cruise loads before so not new to this, but I find somewhere I want to visit, then find a cruise that goes there. The DW wanted to visit the Christmas Markets of Northern Europe, so that is the trip we have booked.
We got a good deal at the beginning of the year and are looking forward to sailing on her.
There is pro and cons for every cruise line and ship, but a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Old Naval Seadog
#8
Kent, England
6,020 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Aurora, nice, the Crows Nest, not so nice, the Glasshouse, otherwise beige!.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
#9
hampshire england
1,275 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I agree with everything positive that has been said about Aurora. She's one of our favourite ships. She's elegant, no not glitzy but we've never felt that she doesn't have enough space, even on sea days. We went on the Christmas Markets cruise last December and it was wonderful. We boarded on 6th December, I think, and by the second day the ship had been fully decorated for Christmas. It was a lovely cruise, especially on leaving Amsterdam when there was a real surprise - they may do it every year so I won't tell you what but you need to be looking over to the quayside an hour or so before the ship is due to leave.

We are going on the long South American cruise next January - 65 nights - and we wouldn't do that on a ship we didn't love!
#10
North West
1,785 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Great to hear such good reports about Aurora. We have only been on board once and that was before the refit. We see also doing the 65 night cruise in January and added on the previous 5 night cruise for the New Year.

Sue
#11
London
586 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Reading with interest. We are doing the New England one on her in Sep 18.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Van Gogh - Fjords - 2006 Athena - Iceland - 2007
Artemis - Baltic - 2008. Arcadia - Fjords - 2009
Balmoral - Spitzbergen - 2010. Zuiderdam-Alaska -2011
Balmoral - mini - 2012. Queen Victoria-mini
Rachmaninov - Moscow/St Petersburg - 2012
Oriana - Iberia - 2013. Bremen - Antarctica - 2014
Adonia - Caribbean - 2015. Expedition - Arctic - 2015
Riviera - East Med - 2015

SplendourOTSeas - Dubai-2016
Queen Victoria - CapeTown/Soton - 2016
Arcadia - Fjords - 2016
Oriana - Northern Lights 2017
#12
Surrey
277 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by Selbourne
We are on Aurora now (for the first time) and having a great cruise. Love the ship and will be publishing a detailed review when we return home next week.
Can you tell me whether the show times in the evening have changed to 7.30 and 9.00? Many thanks
#13
157 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by mandylennon
Can you tell me whether the show times in the evening have changed to 7.30 and 9.00? Many thanks

Hi mandylennon, we are also on Aurora (but I've sadly still not met Selbourne), the shows are still 8.30 and 10.30, we've only been to see the comedian (very funny) but some of our table-mates go to some and all those have been at 10.30. We're having a lovely cruise with superb weather.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
#14
England
511 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by mandylennon
Can you tell me whether the show times in the evening have changed to 7.30 and 9.00? Many thanks
As Ehg has said, shows in the theatre are at 8.30pm and 10.30pm. Performances in the show lounge are usually 7.30pm and 9.30pm but sometimes differ. The Stadium Theatre Company on this cruise have been weak (good dancers but poor singers) but a new troupe joins next week. Harmony Duo (classical violinist and pianist) have been performing in The Playhouse and have been superb. Caravans Bee Gees tribute was also excellent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 120 nights over 10 cruises (Oriana x 2, Oceana x 2, Azura, Ventura x 2, Britannia x 2, Aurora)
P&O Cruises to Come – 57 nights over 5 cruises (Aurora x 2, Britannia, Arcadia)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul. 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Mediterranean. 14 nights. Suite.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Suite.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.

R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
#15
Surrey
277 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Thanks for your replies and glad that they have not changed the shows times as I believe they have on Ventura and people are not happy with the new earlier times.

We are looking forward to cruising on Aurora very much, 4 weeks tomorrow, but whose counting!
#16
Solihull
1,841 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by kersh
Great to hear such good reports about Aurora. We have only been on board once and that was before the refit. We see also doing the 65 night cruise in January and added on the previous 5 night cruise for the New Year.



Sue

Hi Sue, I was thinking of you back in April - it's hard to believe you were away so long! You must have enjoyed it to have booked another. Do you get 'home-sick' for cruising when you are at home?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#17
Solihull
1,841 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by kruzseeka
Perhaps my favourite ship. It's warm, welcoming, is just the right size for us and has an understated charm imo. It's not a glitzy ship but personally that isn't something which attracts me - often the decor in more modern bigger ships feels cold to me and a bit like shopping malls - nice to look at but lacking in cosy, comfy areas to settle down and relax. But that's just personal preference of course.

This made me smile. When we recently boarded Azura we sat having coffee in the Atrium, not far from the embarkation point. A family boarded and walked in and their young daughter looked up at the shops and said "Mum, when are we getting on the ship?" I guess she wasn't expecting a shopping mall


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#18
Gt Britain
62 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
We've done 2 World cruises on the Aurora. It's my favourite ship and probably the only ship I would consider for long cruises. In fact we have another long cruise already booked.
#19
UK
1,325 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by Cruise Puss
She is one of the best ships we have sailed on, and that includes Seabourn ones and Cunard.

She was our first big ship back in Oct 2001 and we have loved her ever since.

She takes the seas extremely well, having been built to do so. Her stern is beautifully tiered, something P&O of old used to do when they built their ships. Unfortunately they will never build a ship so beautifully again.

Her Atrium is lovely, with a Lalique glass sculpture with water running down it. It is not a glizty ship, but none of P&O's ships are - thank God. Andersons Bar is like a Gentleman's Lounge Bar - very very nice, one of the best bars around. Her Crow's Nest is also one of the best with the bar centrally located at the back. The outside bars are all great, the Pennant Bar especially having a great view of the wake of the ship. As someone else has mentioned, she has one of the best dance floors around, something that seems to be disappearing from ships nowadays. The Library has got smaller as it's been moved from where it used to be - where Sindhu now is. The MDR's are very nice. We've always had Club Dining and used to always be placed in the Alexandria Restaurant which we prefer, but now, of course, that is only for Club Dining and the Oriental is for Freedom dining only. As mentioned she now has a Sindhu, which is Atul Kochar's restaurant. He is a Michelin starred chef and, having eaten in his restaurant in London, I can assure you the food is excellent, almost as good as on land. As mentioned by someone else, she has a Beach House which is well worth trying.

She has always had a lovely atmosphere and a day at sea on her, sunbathing out on deck, is a wonderful experience. I have many happy memories of her even now.

Highly recommended!
I haven't been on Aurora yet (I really want to soon) but the tiered aft on Oriana is something I really really liked!
#20
UK
219 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Aurora is great apart from the fact somebody thought it was a good idea to put the galley for the buffet and room service just across the corridor from some of the most expensive cabins on board - so guests there get an assortment of bangs and rattles from the galley 24/7 and disturbed nights.